• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Notorious Animation Meltdowns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Green Luthor wrote:
Samurai Seven had two or three episodes where the normally-decent animation quality suddenly and inexplicably... isn't good. Like "person with trembling hands trying to draw on a turbulent airplane" bad. No idea what happened there, but it was painful to watch those episodes.

If one of the episodes you're talking about is episode 7, it was intentionally supposed to look that way. As the director said, better to have a rough-around-the-edges but talented actor than a good-looking but mediocre one in your movie.

It's been a long while since I watched Samurai Seven (I found it immensely underwhelming) but I do remember that the animation was fairly bad throughout, which was strange considering that Gonzo allegedly spent record amounts of money on animation. Knowing Gonzo, that was probably all spent on the CGI, because I remember even scenes like characters putting on their boots looking really weird and stilted.

My go-to "QUALITY but intentionally" episode is episode 7 of Kemonozume, that was actually directed and animated single-handedly by Kobayashi Osamu. And like, I really appreciate the effort and the innovation, but it didn't look good, especially compared to how great the rest of the show looks. (Also it's probably my least favorite episode story-wise as well.)
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Gotta get a word in for my idols in Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter, where things only took five episodes to completely fall apart, leading to bizarre shot compositions whose only purpose is to avoid animating the face of the character who's speaking:

To top it off, the episode ends with a two minute meeting at the talent agency offices, which is shown entirely as an exterior shot of the office window with the characters inside simply voicing over it.

Yeah, I wanted Wake Up Girls to get a mention as well. The latter half felt like a slide show. Watching it has made me really sensitive to these poor animation tricks, and I see them all the time. But no has done it quite as bad as WUG2. It must pretty galling to go out on a note like that.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Nanoha StrikerS, which had some hilariously terrible animation from time to time that got cleaned up later for the DVD release. Same with the first Negima series, I believe?

And much as Aria is my favorite series, the second season had so many weird, bad animation moments that it almost makes me sad. One of the real standouts was a part in episode 5 of Aria the Natural.

I almost wish I still had my fansubs from this, but this is the fixed part. In the original TV version, this train crossing was basically two train tracks lying on top of each other as they split, and it was the hurty kind of laughs to behold.
EB01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Was Musashi Gundoh not considered because it wasn't a case of a meltdown in a specific episode but all episodes were so poor sthat they couldn't even animate a merely competent opening?

Musashi Gundow OP
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I was going to say the whole "Here Comes the Circus" segment of Junji Ito Collection deserved to be on the list, but then you guys reminded me about Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter. Did they even fix that abomination for the BD release?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember precisely when it happened; but I'm pretty sure that I rememeber in Unlimited Fafnir there was a classroom scene where I can only assume they'd got the layers mixed up, because the head of one character was in front on another's body.

Also, it's hardly a "meltdown" but in both the Ufotable adaptations of Touken Ranbu & Tales of Zestria there were scenes involving riding animals that I had to check if the TV was shaking because of how jittery it was.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Not sure whether it was an actual breakdown or not, but the final dozen or so episodes of Gundam SEED Destiny show signs of one. The animation quality is mostly maintained, but that run includes a pure recap ep, a recap ep by any other means (existing footage with some new voice-over added) and 5-10 minutes of flashback footage in several other episodes. Plus they messed the final episode up so badly that they ended up having to do an extended re-release of it.

They cleaned things up a little for the remaster release (taking out the pure recap ep), but you can still see things coming unstuck.

Edit: Also, yes, WUG season 2 was basically, from the mid-point onwards, a voice-drama with a few still-images.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Gotta get a word in for my idols in Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter, where things only took five episodes to completely fall apart, leading to bizarre shot compositions whose only purpose is to avoid animating the face of the character who's speaking:

To top it off, the episode ends with a two minute meeting at the talent agency offices, which is shown entirely as an exterior shot of the office window with the characters inside simply voicing over it.

That could be straight out of Mayoiga Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
A couple of entire episodes of The Third: The Girl With the Blue Eye (13 and 25, I think?) have such dramatic drops in animation quality that the character designs change. It's all the more curious because outside of those two episode the animation quality of the series is pretty consistent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
SonicFanA wrote:
I am upset to say but when the next list of anime meltdowns come out Thousand Musketeers will probably be on it. If the opening looks bad then that does not bode well for the episodes. For a second the quality went up for one episode which was a breather episode. The background art /scenery is the only positive thing I can say about it. Part of me really wants to think they are saving the best for last.

I am enjoying the show, but the animation is just. So bad. It’s sooooo baaaad. And for whatever reason I don’t expect it to get worse each week and then when it does I’m surprised.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The last 10 or so episodes of Heavenly Spheres Shurato is an example I still keep returning to: for the most part it's a good-looking late '80s-early '90 fantasy show by Tatsunoko, and then in its final episodes the animation gets so bad you can literally count the indivual cels without going frame-by-frame even during the action scenes.

Also, the Nadia movie is one of the only times I can think of where the animation for a theatrical movie is much worse than that of its associated tv series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Eureka Seven had a lot of fantastic animation sequences throughout its run, but there were a few moments when it was clear that Bones had been rushed. The third OP apparently had some really janky animation on the Nirvash that was later polished up. The most prominent example was the final episode, which had numerous half-finished backgrounds and straight-up missing digital effects that were later completed for the DVD. I can see that being a case of the staff frantically working on it until the very last hours before broadcast.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
And much as Aria is my favorite series, the second season had so many weird, bad animation moments that it almost makes me sad. One of the real standouts was a part in episode 5 of Aria the Natural.

I almost wish I still had my fansubs from this, but this is the fixed part. In the original TV version, this train crossing was basically two train tracks lying on top of each other as they split, and it was the hurty kind of laughs to behold.
I believe this is the shot you're looking for?

"That Gentle, Shining, Wonderful Miracle of Aqua Rail Technology..." Question

It almost seems like more work to draw the TV version than the fixed version. They added the switcher in the DVD release as well.

Another old-time example, although complicated by sponsorship issues and director/manga-author disputes: the last third of His and Her Circumstances. Through ep 18, it was markedly low-budget, but still effective and brilliant within its limits in a way perhaps only Gainax could've pulled off. After that point, it was straight downhill into recaps, stills, slideshows, live-action interludes, and popsicle stick puppet shows. I wish I were kidding about that last one.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
EB01 wrote:
Was Musashi Gundoh not considered because it wasn't a case of a meltdown in a specific episode but all episodes were so poor sthat they couldn't even animate a merely competent opening?

Musashi Gundow OP

Weird thing about this. Episode 1's animation is actually "okay". It's nothing special. Nothing big. Just... okay. It's when Episode 2 aired is when things just went south immediately. And it just gets worse as it goes on.

I'd love to hear the production story with this series, because I have a feeling it wasn't meant to be as bad of quality as it ended up with, especially given Episode 1 was more or less "okay".
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The poll doesn't have Asuka from Evangelion or Revy from Black Lagoon, wow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4