• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gintama Manga Ends in 5 Chapters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not like we hadn't been prepared for a while now, but i'd still hoped this "final arc" would go on forever...here's hoping it's going to go out in style!
minidynz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
I will miss this funny, and wonderful story of Gintama. Thank you so much Hideaki Sorachi for this adventure.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
The last of the 2000s Jump series. Once it goes, the only titles in the magazine older than Haikyu will be One Piece and Hunter x Hunter.

...You know what would be an interesting metric to graph over time? The average chapter number of all chapters in a given issue of Jump.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
just 5 chapters huh...

I honestly thought there would be more chapters but if it can all be resolved in 5 chapters then I guess we will see.

Gintama is one of my favourite series so I hope it gets the ending it deserves
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Nah it's just going to be another Final Fantasy (°3°)
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Now the oldest things left in JUMP are One Piece and Hunter x Hunter and I look forward to seeing those two end as well. Not because I dislike them, I love those two, I just want them to end because you never know if a long manga will actually get to finish properly.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Now the oldest things left in JUMP are One Piece and Hunter x Hunter and I look forward to seeing those two end as well. Not because I dislike them, I love those two, I just want them to end because you never know if a long manga will actually get to finish properly.

Not sure if you read it but One Piece is definitely slowly-but-surely progressing towards an ending right now. It definitely has a few more years to go but I believe it was said recently to be about 80% finished.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
So long, Gintoki and co. Never fail to keep putting smiles to all of our faces.

Thorfinn wrote:

I wouldn’t worry about One Piece not getting a proper ending. Oda is so dedicated, if he hits the bucket before he completes the manga he’ll probably come back as a zombie so he can finish it. I AM worried about HxH, mainly due to Togashi’s health, but TBH the place where the anime got to is satisfying enough on its own.

population_tire wrote:
Not sure if you read it but One Piece is definitely slowly-but-surely progressing towards an ending right now. It definitely has a few more years to go but I believe it was said recently to be about 80% finished.

I remember that, but I believe it was 60%. All I remember was doing the math and coming to the conclusion that the series will probably end at around 1,225 chapters - so as of now, it’s about 75% done.
population_tire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Are there any series right now that started in Jump but moved to a different magazine besides To Love-ru and Jojo?
Joa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Are there any series right now that started in Jump but moved to a different magazine besides To Love-ru and Jojo?

Bastard and D.Gray-man are still ongoing in other magazines. Bastard has been on hiatus since 2012 though so it only barely counts as ongoing.
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what this means for the anime. There's like an episode or two before the it would hit the epilogue. And while there's loads to cover, it's nowhere near a full cour. Barely half depending on how it would be adapted. It feels like we'll possibly be getting an anime original ending, which would be a shame because there's some really good stuff in the last few chapters.
jtron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I predict that a week after that is the first chapter of Gintama Z
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Thorfinn wrote:

I wouldn’t worry about One Piece not getting a proper ending. Oda is so dedicated, if he hits the bucket before he completes the manga he’ll probably come back as a zombie so he can finish it. I AM worried about HxH, mainly due to Togashi’s health, but TBH the place where the anime got to is satisfying enough on its own.

population_tire wrote:

I remember that, but I believe it was 60%. All I remember was doing the math and coming to the conclusion that the series will probably end at around 1,225 chapters - so as of now, it’s about 75% done.

The last time Oda confirmed a percentage he said it was 80% done. That was in July this year. I'm honestly more worried about One Piece. Togashi seems to have found a pace that works for him with about 10 chapters a year which is better than nothing. Oda still has a lot of pressure on himself to deliver with his schedule and he is getting older.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Thorfinn wrote:

population_tire wrote:

The last time Oda confirmed a percentage he said it was 80% done. That was in July this year. I'm honestly more worried about One Piece. Togashi seems to have found a pace that works for him with about 10 chapters a year which is better than nothing. Oda still has a lot of pressure on himself to deliver with his schedule and he is getting older.

Of course, One Piece has been going on for 20 years. If it is 80% done, that means we still have about 4 years to go...
yappers4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I wonder what this means for the anime. There's like an episode or two before the it would hit the epilogue. And while there's loads to cover, it's nowhere near a full cour. Barely half depending on how it would be adapted. It feels like we'll possibly be getting an anime original ending, which would be a shame because there's some really good stuff in the last few chapters.

I think we will be getting one last season sometime next year. Two of my guesses are based on that I believe ANN once posted an article where the anime staff said they plan to adapt every chapter. There's also something about the "climax" of the final arc that bothers me when ANN posts Gintama anime news. I think there will be a "finale" arc Winter or Spring 2019.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2