• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - No Game, No Life Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Any issues with the release that you've seen? I've been a little wary of Funi's crunchyroll releases after Re:zero and Tsugumomo, but want to pick this up at some point

No Game No Life (and the Zero movie) are licensed by Sentai Filmworks, so there shouldn't be any need to worry.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Re: Gamers! What are the problems, specifically, with the second half? I’m not inclined to only watch half a show, and got burned out on anime romcom tropes years ago.

The entire plot is all about misunderstanding to a ridiculous extend, someone will yell there feeling at someone else and they'll somehow misunderstand it as the exact opposite. This is pretty much the plot for the entire second half, everybody misunderstand everyone. Nothing progress, there's no character development, feeling don't change. It all goes in circle. The plot also rely on coincidence like crazy, for example: spoiler[The main character best friend in a video game also happens to be there classmate and also happens to be the creator of some small indie games that the MC loves, none of it is related to each others, it just happens to be like that]

The gamer aspect also take backseat to the rom com aspect.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:59 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

The entire plot is all about misunderstanding to a ridiculous extend, someone will yell there feeling at someone else and they'll somehow misunderstand it as the exact opposite. This is pretty much the plot for the entire second half, everybody misunderstand everyone.

That's pretty much the whole plot of the first half too, though; it's not like it changed between halves. It's a group of 5 characters that all misunderstand the relationships between the other 4 to hilarious lengths. And i'll argue that's what makes this show so great; for most romantic comedies, the frustration is in the extended "will they/won't they" drama, or the melodramatic misunderstandings. Two ways to work around this are to either 1. have the relationship from the very beginning, like My Love Story!, or 2. take the Gamers! route, and play the misunderstandings to absurdly comedic levels. This may not appeal to everyone, but i enjoyed the blatant ridiculousness of it all.

Even beyond the concept, on my re-watch i'm very much enjoying the direction and writing of the characters. It's a solid anime all-around.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
meiam wrote:

The entire plot is all about misunderstanding to a ridiculous extend, someone will yell there feeling at someone else and they'll somehow misunderstand it as the exact opposite. This is pretty much the plot for the entire second half, everybody misunderstand everyone.

That's pretty much the whole plot of the first half too, though; it's not like it changed between halves. It's a group of 5 characters that all misunderstand the relationships between the other 4 to hilarious lengths. And i'll argue that's what makes this show so great; for most romantic comedies, the frustration is in the extended "will they/won't they" drama, or the melodramatic misunderstandings. Two ways to work around this are to either 1. have the relationship from the very beginning, like My Love Story!, or 2. take the Gamers! route, and play the misunderstandings to absurdly comedic levels. This may not appeal to everyone, but i enjoyed the blatant ridiculousness of it all.

Even beyond the concept, on my re-watch i'm very much enjoying the direction and writing of the characters. It's a solid anime all-around.

The first part as a stronger focus on gamer and has to at least establish the character and premise. You can easily skip from episode 6 to 12 and not miss anything and understand perfectly well what happens at 12, you can't skip from 1 to 12 tough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2