• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cancer Researcher Praises, Explains Cells at Work! Anime's Episode 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish you all the best in your recovery, yuna49.

I think we can agree that nobody wants or likes cancer, I think the depiction in this episode might have rubbed individuals with personal experience or loved ones who fought cancer the wrong way. I get what the staff were going for from cancer's perspective, even if the attempt at sympathy didn't work for me. Maybe it's better to look at the character as a 'tragic villain', an entity operating incorrectly due to a fluke in how it was made. Born to be destroyed, essentially.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
gedata wrote:
Cancer cells are just living their lives the way that they have been genetically created to do. The problem and fault of it is the replication error that gave them the wrong genetic information that causes rapid and unchecked growth and replication.

It doesn't change that they need to die for the body to live but cancer isn't some intruder trying to destroy your body for it's own benefit like other diseases, it's literally a part of your body doing what it was programmed to do but being programmed to do the wrong things by mistake. The way cancer was handled here makes sense given all this, and the series has always made a point of the needs of the few being outweighed by the many (remember how those red blood cells were sacrificed to make a clot in the 2nd episode?). But this series applies that sort of extreme logic to abstractions of cells that are actually aware of inherently unfair bodily processes can be to their own cells so why wouldn't the one cell that has it the worst want to call that out?

As insensitive as this might sound of me, the whole "if you had lost a family member to cancer you'd be angry too!" with regards to the latest episode to me that just sounds like people putting their personal feelings before facts. It's not like cancer cells WANT to kill people, just like it's not like the immune system wants to send people into anaphylaxis over nuts, milk or bee stings. It just happens. The tragedy of cancer has more to do with the body malfunctioning and being cause for it's downfall then it does with alien pathogens on the attack.

Like was said in the series threads, the same can be said about every pathogen. Small box wish it didn't kill us, in fact killing us means it dies along with us too. That's why almost all disease that have been with human for a long time are non lethal (like common cold) whereas lethal disease are almost all disease that have crossed over from animal recently. Disease don't want to kill us. Applying that logic just to cancer doesn't work.

It was also missing extremely important point, cancer don't just live like normal until attacked by the immune system. They aggressively expand and put immense pressure on the body (both literally by taking too much place and metaphorically by taking nutrient away from other organ).

It's not about putting personal feeling, it's just about it being a poor grasp of the subject and sending the wrong impression about the actual disease.

I definitely get what your saying about the other pathogens but they don't carry the same baggage of knowing their way of living wasn't meant to be, and they had no desire to live within the body as a normal cell like cancer cell here did. I guess a better point would be to say that applying the concepts of "good and evil" to biology is a bit of a flimsy way of thinking.

And yes, the cancer was already expanding, it just wasn't until now the events of this episode that the problem was actually recognized for what it was. Cancer wouldn't be able to function at all if your body couldn't be tricked by it for at least a little while. We also have no idea how much time passed between the events of this episode and the replication of cancer cell. It had done enough to become a noteworthy threat, but it wasn't exactly stage 3 or anything.

meiam wrote:

It's not about putting personal feeling, it's just about it being a poor grasp of the subject and sending the wrong impression about the actual disease.

Perhaps that's the case for you, and good on you for at least trying to criticize the series on it's own terms, but I've seen a lot of less reasonable gut reactions to this episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2