• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Ellation Launches New Division for Original Animated Content

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
There are already several hundred shows competing with each other on Crunchyroll. A couple of western ones isn't going to change anything for the end user. This adds content to the service, it doesn't remove anything.
The cost of licensing a show is a lot cheaper than making a show especially when you throw in the cost of a Burbank studio. This is a lot of money going to something that isn't anime licensing, the reliability of their servers, or improvements to the Crunchyroll website which is still using Flash in 2018.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
For something that's anime inspired, this looks no different from the Steven Universe/Gumball bean mouth west coast style, which is an insult to anime. Does American animation have one foot in the grave or is it already 6 feet under? Because when Adventure Time came out back in 2010, everyone was claiming how American animation was entering this new era/age and now I can't tell half these shows apart and the decade isn't even over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The press release advertises that the show has an all-female writer's room and a "diverse and passionate group of artists and creatives."

Sorry, but in what way is any of that relevant to the actual show?
Why is the above quote something worth mentioning?
"This project includes [staff member] who worked on [some popular work]!" That, I can understand. With that I have something to go on. I don't see what knowing a writer's gender or the Diversity™ of the creatives is supposed to tell me about their product. Is there nothing more to say about this show besides the generic-as-hell description?
And I would certainly hope the artists working on HGS are passionate about it...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I really don't feel comfortable with all these anti-diversity rants in this thread which come across as thinly veiled anti minority attacks.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I think more studios making 2D adult western animation is a good thing! It is a shame that they chose such a bland and overused premise for the first show. It would have been better to do something more unique and appealing to western audiences I think, but I wish them luck. Like your debut is a school all girls SOL? Something that we get many of every season? Unfortunate. I hope they do more interesting things in the future though.
Volxmas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
look very cringey. no ask for this.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:
Quote:
The press release advertises that the show has an all-female writer's room and a "diverse and passionate group of artists and creatives."

Sorry, but in what way is any of that relevant to the actual show?
Why is the above quote something worth mentioning?
"This project includes [staff member] who worked on [some popular work]!" That, I can understand. With that I have something to go on. I don't see what knowing a writer's gender or the Diversity™ of the creatives is supposed to tell me about their product. Is there nothing more to say about this show besides the generic-as-hell description?
And I would certainly hope the artists working on HGS are passionate about it...

So as a non-white dude, my take on it is that sometimes use poor non-white souls like seeing representation. It doesn't make or break the show, but if I see a show where a writer or director or show runner's heritage happens to align with mine, hell yeah I get interested enough to check it out. It helps further send the message that people like me can make it and I like to see what people from similar backgrounds as me are throwing out there into the world.

A big part of art are the experiences that mold one's viewpoint used to inform what creatives send out into the world, it offers an interesting perspective.
AnimeBoy16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I think this looks very interesting. This reminds me of a cross between RWBY and Little Witch Academia. I like how diverse the female characters look, especially in regards to body type, in comparison to actual all-female school SOL anime. I'm a big fan of pieces of media like Steven Universe so this looks right up my alley.

Edited: I just found out that the story editor was also a writer for Over the Garden Wall so now I have another reason to be intrigued by this.

Last edited by AnimeBoy16 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of the character designs (read: I kinda hate them), but all of the other shots look rather nice and it looks like it'll be better the stuff on Cartoon Network now, so that's a plus. The premise sounds boring, overdone, and generic, but I'll give it a shot to see where it goes.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
CR would've not receive this backlash if they didn't put their name on it. Why decide to name is as "Crunchyroll Original" instead of "VRV Original"? Anyway, good that CR is getting the backlash that it deserves.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I guess it was inevitable for a streaming service to suffer from channel drift.

Only thing people can do to make it stop is not watch it.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I'm unfortunately not surprised to see the majority of comments here bashing this. A lot of the ANN community love to bash school settings, anime inspired cartoons, so fourth. It's fine that something like this isn't the cup of tea of a lot of people and it might truly be terrible for all I know. However the hate comments get repetitive. If the show doesn't look interesting then just don't watch it, instead of being angry that it exists and the mere existence of such a series is an insult you. But ah well, people are free to do what they want and if they want to be angry about a show they'll never watch, they should go for it I guess? It's definitely one way to spend your energy.

Well, let's get into the sociocultural aspects of it.

There's something like RWBY, that precisely captures the anime feel. And then you have this, High Guardian Spice. While it's better than My Life Me, I can tell that from many people here that HGS does not bode well.

Since the 1990s (yes I am going into my ramblings let grampa finish talking) the States kinda is a place where a slow jumpstart to culturally adopt is rather odd. Again, and again and again, Anime is just one of those cases that unlike sushi, karate, and karaoke, it just never took off immediately for other places, even France and Spain for goodness' sake. Whether it be its cultural purity to be strongly upheld by fans, or the prolonged social and cultural stigmas that the tyranny of the masses love to employ, anime has a lot of standards and leaps to hurdle when it comes to exactly capturing its spirit.

Again, rooted from its age of when animation in the 1990s into the 2000s when there was yet another nadir in the western industry, anime was like this example of creative freedom and integrity. Any creator did any sort of genre and medium with it, and in the face of massive moral majority media control groups, anime was like a wave of water in their faces to let them know that you cannot control art and expression with prudish and selfish expectations. From this, anime is a wild spirit you had to meet its match lest you get left in the dust.

I'm not going to lie. Since the last year of the 1980s, anime with international settings and premises gradually dwindled. For Japan, that's just natural, but for other places with interests outside of Japanese tastes, that's quite an effect. Sure, there's hits like Bacanno and Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist, but since that boom in the States anime is this peculiar case of the children outside watching the kid with the tv's windows (thanks Stuart Smith).

Anime for the most part doesn't have this perspective from people that I have. It's a minority view. Outside of that, the mainstream thing to think is that anime is Japanese only, for better or for worse. I'm not going to lie in that fact however that anime should be respected and understood as a Japanese property, and that it should be looked as a human property as well. There are things that resonate with people beyond cultures if they look and think hard enough. That is what will allow people to make anime and not pump out mere shill imitations. It's not going to be done through shallow aspirations and the depths of overblown surface exoticism based self delusion. It demands sincerity and to follow tradition while finding one's own way on the way out. From its cultural impact on the States, anime is a medium of virtue and unrestrainable yet harmonic and intrinsic reins, an offpath and renegade force of humanity that shakes down the tyranny of the masses and the men up top out of the blue, and since then that has established what anime is all about here in the States. As much as RebelTaxi says that Adventure Time and Steven Universe puts together the anime and cartoon rift, it's not a lie to say that the western industry has its own problems it still must face, like being unwieldy draconian and failing to expand its industry for a foundation that encompasses all styles akin to the values and standards its country founds itself on.

When it comes to making anime in the States, knowing its cultural impact and what it entails is crucial and key to making it at all, along with one's own imagination and insights. Everything else that lacks sincerity will not make the cut.

Regarding its style, there are artists on DeviantArt who make anime art, and it's kind of a shame that they're not in the big seat regarding Ellation. I only hope High Guardian Spice does well on its own merits than being passed off as an "American Made Anime".

Last edited by TheAnimeRevolutionizer on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Idort

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Sadly reminds me of when G4 channel stopped making video game shows and started playing Ninja Warrior and COPS all the time.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Idort wrote:
Primus wrote:

Sadly reminds me of when G4 channel stopped making video game shows and started playing Ninja Warrior and COPS all the time.

Not trying to harsh the grief train but a streaming service is a lot more versatile, that's what I'm saying.

If AT&T however demands them to phase out anime in favor of "murica made animation" like Nickelodeon's early 2000s plan to keep them alive, that's when you drop the subscription.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. As a woman, I'm turned off by an show that has to point out that it has an "all female production cast". I'd be equally turned off by a show pointing out that it's 100% (insert ethnicity here) made, 100% Millennial made, 100% (insert sexual preference) made or 100% illegally in (insert country here) made, etc.

I don't want that. I want staff that can make a good show without having to point out their ethnicities, gender, sexual preference(s), politics, etc. I judge a show by its content, not by it having people from my background. Does it entertain me? That's all that matters.

And, I'm sorry, but this trailer makes this show look like garbage.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7