• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Ellation Launches New Division for Original Animated Content

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
Haha, cute, but anyone who follows the animation industry closely will understand why this is great news( including myself as a consumer of animation content). Crunchyroll is following alongside Netflix, Amazon, and many more who are exploring the possibility of making original "anime" shows but with a western creator.
Great news that they are still making some 2D animated shows in American? Yes I can agree to that. On the other hand "exploring the possibility of making original "anime" shows but with a western creator", no one who follows the animation industry closely is going to understand why that is great, unless you really like having your American cartoons with the same uninspired "Anime characters" and some thrown in tropes.

If someone really wants to create Anime, then they are going to have to follow in the footsteps of people like LeSean Thomas and Michael Arias, and move to Japan.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:31 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
From what i understand what they want is address all those fans that wanted anime to go for a more mainstream global audience and complain that Japan don't make the anime they want to see.
Because anime is and will be made with the Japanese audience in mind, they think only appealing to a niche audience that are fan of Japanese anime, would limit the sucess of Crunchyroll.

So they decided that if they don't get that kind of anime from Japan, they needed to make those animations for global mainstream audiences themselves.

From that, this means Crunchyroll will make this anime inspired animations to appeal to a different audience and grow.

In other words, they want to be the next Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
In other words, they want to be the next Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

More likely they’ll be the next Crackle.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
Another thing. I saw an artist drawing in Photoshop. Photoshop is not recommended for making digital drawing and illustration. You can make ads and logos with it but it is not an ideal program for drawing figures, objects, and stuff.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
While I see the show as being as pathetic, there is a potential fan base for it. Also, CR will still have plenty of anime to be added each season. I don't know how much money they will use for it, but CR is likely to still use some of their earnings to give back to some Japanese animators.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
For the record I think the show looks stupid and a waste of money for an anime streaming site like Crunchyroll, and simply having an all female staff does not automatically a good show make, and the fact that they genuinely seem to believe that is hilariously shitty, but some of the overreactions in this thread, made by grown-ass adults about a show for kids, are even more ridiculous.

Having an all-female crew does not automatically make a good show, and it's laughable to think it does, but some of you are acting as if it automatically makes a bad show.
That is a fair point since the show hasn't been released yet but if they believed that people wanted another kids show they would put it on VRV. I have read several reaction articles to this announcement and I think the main reason for the anger is that it feels like they are spitting in the faces of their customers. The claim that Crunchyroll makes about why legal anime streaming services are important is that it supports the anime industry but now they are going to use a lot of that subscriber money for other purposes. I won't cancel my subscription over this since they have not yet started censorsing anime but this has increased my skepticism of where the company is going.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I get the idea of needing original content so as to not lose viewers, but well...the show looks awful.

Then again I’m a bitter man who thinks if they were going to go the original content route, they would be far better served adapting something that could appeal to adults like they say they want to in their press release instead of this awful Tumblr looking mess.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
This is quite a risk for Crunchyroll. If there is any region-locking—be it in California or Kazakhstan—then they'll have to take the proverbial rap for it! The fact the production is entirely internal should at least reduce the risk of having to display that apology notification once more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

seltzermx wrote:
Recently they've been losing them to Netflix and Amazon.

Doesn't Netflix and Amazon have far more money to burn then Crunchyroll hence why this "losing" is happening?

Secondly Netflix and Amazon both produce original content alongside them licensing and streaming existing TV shows and movies. And Crunchyroll is getting flak for trying to do do essentially the same thing?

I also remember a time when people would claim a studio (ADV/Sentai/Funimation) were licensing a bunch of shows, and complained that they were trying to snuff out the competition. Hell, they said the Crunchy/funi partnership would be bad, because then what about poor ol' Snbtai. Don't people want competition anymore? This should be a good thing.
Quote:

This is pretty much akin to when people whined and moaned about CN coming up with live action TV shows....just like Disney, Nickelodeon, and various other networks/production companies were producing at the time (and still make).

My favorite argument against this venture was "YOU'RE CALLED "CARTOON NETWORK" SO AIR CARTOONS AND ONLY CARTOONS".

I actually agree with this, that was a a ridiculous argument. I will say though, CN didn't help their cause by doing a bunch of bootleg reality shows (Othersiders, anyone?)

If they started with more stuff like Tower Prep (a series people actually liked) they would have gotten farther.

Quote:

seltzermx wrote:

It's the same thing as when MS tried to get into TV a few years ago. That's not what people wanted out of their Xbox. They finally wised up, shut that down, and spent money on videogames.

This is funny for two reasons one making video games is not what Microsoft was established to do they started off making/licensing computer related tech (which is what their main source of revenue comes from).

Secondly what you just mentioned is something called "taking risks". This risk in particular was Microsoft doing something that could've easily had panned out like Phillip's or Nokia's attempts to jump into the video game market. Companies can't always just "say let's do this one thing and only that one thing". If Apple ran with that logic Macs would be the only thing they're known for and no one would care about them.

Or if Nintendo only stuck to the thing they originated with, they'd still be producing hanafuda cards, and we'd never have Mario, Pokémon, and what have you.

In everyone's haste to go "whah about mah subscriber money", they seem to also be missing a key detail in the announcement. The very first line of the article states that Crunchyroll's parent company is forming the studio to produce content for Crunchyroll, and everyone's just assuming this means Crunchyroll is taking all that money for anime and spending it on these projects INSTEAD of anime, when they don't know where the money is coming from.
Kai99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Great news that they are still making some 2D animated shows in American? Yes I can agree to that. On the other hand "exploring the possibility of making original "anime" shows but with a western creator", no one who follows the animation industry closely is going to understand why that is great, unless you really like having your American cartoons with the same uninspired "Anime characters" and some thrown in tropes.

Think of it this way. When it comes to cartoons in the US, it is usually a very limited market. Say you as an animator or artist want to work on a serious, adult animation production. What choices do you have? Vast majority of cartoons made in the US are for kids. The adult animation we do make are aimed at being funny with very cartoonish-looking characters. Than you have the cartoons made by DC who have their own characters that they are promoting. The Japanese animation industry is very unique in that animation that they make has a variety of different appeals. You can find action, romance, drama, LGBT, and more being produce. There really isn't any limit to what stories can be animated there. In the US, with more and more companies jumping into the animation business, the higher the potential for that variety that you see in Japan can be realize. What great about a western-back anime is that Japanese animation has been perfected and are doing things the US 2D animation companies aren't doing. Your not going to see a 2D animation made in the US similar to Attack on Titian or My Hero Academy( for a LOT of reasons). Western creators being given a chance to tell their stories in Japan just open up the doors for animated storytelling that would be almost impossible in the US.

Quote:
Another thing. I saw an artist drawing in Photoshop. Photoshop is not recommended for making digital drawing and illustration. You can make ads and logos with it but it is not an ideal program for drawing figures, objects, and stuff.

Um, you wont find a lot of digital artists agreeing with that. While there are a lot of better programs for line art, Photoshop is hard to beat when it comes to digital coloring.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
Western creators being given a chance to tell their stories in Japan just open up the doors for animated storytelling that would be almost impossible in the US.

If we were talking about something like Castlevania then maybe, although that's still based on an established franchise, but the thing is this show looks no different than what you would see on Cartoon Network. They're purposely going for a kid-friendly and general audience with their streaming service. And correct me if I'm wrong but so far there's no Japanese connection to this show that's been revealed.

So far the rise of streaming internet animation has been more of the same. 99% of the cartoons on Netflix are basic kids shows, generally based on Dreamworks or similar movies, with the remaining 1% being Castlevania. The idea that the internet has paved the way for more creative American animation has so far been unproven, in my opinion.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes, and they very specifically said "Americans often stereotype animation as either being kids shows or raunchy comedies" and their first original product is - A bad looking kids show.

A bad looking kids show that rips off the premise of Netflix's Little Witch Academia.

There was nothing else? Absolutely no other scripts or manga that could be adapted? Maybe someone could finally do Cannon God Exaxxion? Just something besides this Tumblrized mess.

All I know is that no one, NO ONE buys Crunchyroll subscriptions for things like that, and I expect the views to be nonexistent and the show quickly axed.
NGK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Btw who is the parent company of Crunchyroll now ?
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Digibro uploaded an excellent video on the subject.

In other words, people are [expletive] PISSED and doing an excellent job at pointing fingers. Crunchyroll is an anime distributor, not a content creator and they still have to pick up a lot of slack.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:

I think you might've gotten your programs mixed up there. Adobe Illustrator is best recommended for logos and vector art. There are better alternatives to Photoshop, but it's still considered an industry standard for digital drawing/illustration. In the same way most people agree that Flash is a garbage program but is still used by the majority of the industry (though it is slowly shifting towards Toon Boom and it honestly can't happen any faster).

Yes, I am sidestepping this dumpster fire of a thread just to make a correction about art programs.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7