• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Manga Resumes Following Original Light Novel Author's Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toonces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Was the LN really that good? Every time the subject comes up, people seem super passionate and defensive about it getting cancelled. When JNC announced it, it seemed a bit lame to me.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Vadara wrote:
G S Palmer wrote:
Well, this was easy to predict: the company just waited a few months to let the whole issue blow over, and then started it right back up again, just like Rurouni Kenshin. I'm sure the light novel will soon follow. Honestly, I didn't even expect the anime to get cancelled. I've got to say, I'm pretty disappointed in the publisher, but I guess money really is more important than any ethical concerns.

I wouldn't be surprised if the anime is still boned, since it might have had some Chinese funding or in-betweens worked on by Korean studios who would probably boycott it regardless. But you only need one Japanese dude to make the manga so they can easily restart that if they wanted to.

Oh, I'm sure it is. I'm just saying that when this started, I never expected it to go as far as cancelling the anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
Japan has had less than stellar depictions of Chinese and even Korean people in anime and manga for a long time. However, that didn't necessarily cancel a series. As such, what made the controversy of this series so bad that they did to cancel it?
MCAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Japan has had less than stellar depictions of Chinese and even Korean people in anime and manga for a long time. However, that didn't necessarily cancel a series. As such, what made the controversy of this series so bad that they did to cancel it?
Basically that the author said Chinese people are less that human in no uncertain terms. Like if you read the LN, you could easily guess that the author might think that way, but as long as he wasn't explicit, the controversy wouldn't have nearly been as bad.
Amuris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
#854688 wrote:
I honestly don't really care for this one as there were some basic concepts the author botched that I couldn't get past to become invested in it.

I'm curious, which concepts do you mean. I haven't read any of this but I lost interest when the plot description said that the main character loses his memories when he gets sent to thr other dimension, doesn't that just make this another cookie cutter isekai protagonist? The idea of a grumpy old man being fountain of youthed into a fantasy realm sounded amusing but if he's going to another blank slate protagonist for the viewers to project themselves on to.... meh. I mean he might not be but "lost memories" usually implies that.

The mc's weapon is a shinai that the goddess made indestructible. Somehow, the author thought this meant that it could break anything, that it would have unlimited attack power. That actually doesn't even make it all that good of a weapon. Depending on what it means, it would either work like a normal shinai, or it would just transfer all kinetic force through itself, making it kinda terrible for blocking and not much more impressive then a regular shinai for attacking.

Another thing to keep in mind about this story is that it's (suppose to be) a Tensei story, rather than a regular isekai. An older protagonist is normal for a tensei story in the first place. Tensei stories are about reincarnation so they typically have protagonists who are old enough to have developed regrets or wisdom that would make it worthwhile for them to start life over. This is the other part where the author kinda screwed the pooch. In Tensei, a protagonist with regrets/wisdom is suppose to die and start life over from or near the beginning. They grow up in the world, usually with a family. This does a lot more to build up the world and how it works by having the mc have an actual place in it rather than a completely foreign element. Instead, they gave him the body of a teenager, wiped his memories, THEN sent him to the world. He had no family, background, or place in the world while also lacking the wisdom he should have gained from his 94 years of life. It was a bait and switch Tensei for regular isekai
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
Was the LN really that good? Every time the subject comes up, people seem super passionate and defensive about it getting cancelled. When JNC announced it, it seemed a bit lame to me.

Not especially as far as I know. I hear it is pretty decent for what it is compared to a large majority of isekai, but it still very much falls into same kind of trapping and tropes many of them do.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
#854688 wrote:
Instead, they gave him the body of a teenager, wiped his memories, THEN sent him to the world. He had no family, background, or place in the world while also lacking the wisdom he should have gained from his 94 years of life. It was a bait and switch Tensei for regular isekai

Yeah that sounds way, way, less interesting than how the premise could have gone. At least for my tastes anyway. A teenager who acts like and has the life experience of a 94 year old sounds way more interesting than an overpowered protagonist with no particular reason for having been 94 in the real world in the first place plot wise.
Echii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they bring back the anime for this
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
I really hope they bring back the anime for this

Very much doubt unless they resume the novel first...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2