• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Don't More Manga Publishers Use Kickstarter?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:
If other backers don't end up getting their rewards, that is kind of shitty, but higher pledge tiers can still run this risk--I have seen some probably creators produce/ship lower tier rewards first, either intentionally or not, idk.

DMP is doing this with Kimagure Orange Road now. They started shipping the physical books for the lowest tiers and have been working their way up. I had them ship the rewards from my tier separately but even despite paying for separate shipping, it took them almost two months to send it.

I’ve backed several DMP KS at high levels because of the rewards. I’ve been fortunate that I’ve received the rewards that I wanted, particularly in the case of KOR as Matsumoto is no longer healthy enough to draw.

That is the first one I had in mind. I'm glad you got your rewards okay, were you the one who got the lifesize sketch? Unfortunately for Mr. Matsumoto, that may add to its value long term. :/
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
That is the first one I had in mind. I'm glad you got your rewards okay, were you the one who got the lifesize sketch? Unfortunately for Mr. Matsumoto, that may add to its value long term. :/

Yes, that was me. I had met Matsumoto-sensei three times - AX 2011, PMX in 2013 and Japan Expo USA in 2014. Matsumoto-sensei looked pretty bad at the first two, very pale and extremely sickly looking. The color returned to his face and he seemed a lot healthier in 2014 when I saw him at JXUSA. When I attended his panel in 2014, he mentioned that he had suffered from cerebrospinal fluid leakage but that it had finally been diagnosed and he was recovering from years of being unable to sleep because of that condition. I was not aware that he had a relapse due to a fall that occurred prior to the start of the DMP Kickstarter, but apparently Sasahara was aware of it, which made me lash out at DMP that they should have advised their backers of the relapse and the possibility of Matsumoto being unable to fulfill the rewards from some of the signed/sketched tiers.

Anywho, I didn't donate to the KS in anticipation of some long term value with his artwork. I donated to it at the level that I did because the man is incredibly kind in person, and I wanted to give back to him. I don't know how much of my purchase actually made it into Matsumoto's pocketbook, but I hope some of it did.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind Kodansha running one to finally print the rest of Nodame. One can dream. Wink
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
I am very curious about what Deb wrote here:
Quote:
There are many reasons beyond just money (or lack therof) behind why a manga hasn't been licensed for publication: the rights may not be available, there may be legal or business issues in play, maybe the creator doesn't want to work with that publisher, or vice versa. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that necessarily can't be made public to readers.

Emphasis added by me.

So why is it that these details cannot be made public? I understand that sometimes there might be confidential business dealings being discussed that need to remain confidential, but wouldn't most reasons be perfectly OK to release to the public? And wouldn't it be to people's benefit for this information to be made clear? For example, if the original creator isn't happy with a given work and doesn't want it reprinted then why not make that information public so fans can...you know...stop wasting people's time asking for it? Or if the license holder is asking an unusually high amount of money why not share that either? That way fans could be informed and asked whether or not they would be OK with paying a premium for that title, etc? Just what purpose is served by keeping all this information out of the public eye?
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
And people insist that Kickstarting and Patreon is the best way to pay the mangaka directly! Alas, that old fallacy won't die anytime soon.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
And people insist that Kickstarting and Patreon is the best way to pay the mangaka directly! Alas, that old fallacy won't die anytime soon.

As for Kickstarter, Deb covered a lot of the points & more were discussed here. But all of that was assuming normal commercial production. It doesn't preclude a mangaka from self-publishing via Kickstarter, does it? All the main objections seem to assume foreign licensing and other corporate issues that wouldn't exist for a mangaka who self-publishes.

And as for Patreon, correct me if I was mistaken but that wasn't covered at all here? If a mangaka had a Patreon account then wouldn't they get all the money except for the patreon fee? That seems like they'd end up with far more money than via any other practical means?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

Depending on the company, KS could be a lot better than someone like Viz. We don't know how much Viz and other manga localization companies pay a mangaka per book sold, but my guess is that it's either a flat amount or a couple of cents per copy sold. DMP talked about paying a flat fee to license in one of their older Kickstarters, so going by that, it's probably no more than a couple grand per book - Not really enough to live on for more than a month or two in Tokyo.

Patreon is more like a commission albeit you might not be receiving anything in return for the funds. Commissions are my favorite way to go. I'd rather pay an artist directly than have to deal with auctions who often tell the artist that it's for charity, when it's really for themselves, such as conventions differentiating between a 'charity' and a 'art' auction.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Time to draw lines in the sand and establish what is clear: The Revolution makes its appearance.

When it comes to Patreon and Kickstarter, they are best for independent and grassroots creators. Even for sites like Medibang, they have standards to upkeep and adhere to, and that can't exactly be what everyone is given options to.

Overall, I'd say that these days, there's more options than ever, and viable and feasible ones that are safe and secure, to push out one's series. Granted, publishers and hosting sites are a lot closer to the mainstream industry with plenty of strings and connections, but with Patreon and Kickstarter, one has a lot more creative freedom to wield. At least I can say there's something for everyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2