• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokémon the Movie: Everyone's Story

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
i haven't seen a Pokemon film since Deoxys, but I really want to check this one out now. Is there any possible way to follow a release schedule? Also, for people who've seen all of the Pokemon films, what would you say the best one is?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen all of them but I've seen a fair amount. I think the best movies are Pokemon The Movie 3, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and Mewtwo Strikes Back. I also personally enjoy Jirachi Wish Maker.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
I’m not looking forward to TPCI’s rescoring/bad dub of the film.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I am looking foward to this new movie getting dubbed in English, because i am raised at watching the dubbed version of the Pokemon anime!

TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Oh yes, they'll dub and edit the scene that are not inappropriate for children outside of Japan.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I've seen all the films (except this one) in both English and Japanese. Everyone has practically seen the first two or three, but aside from the iconic first film, I'm a huge fan of both Jirachi (#6) and Lucario (#8). Giratina (#12) is also pretty good, but its narrative is pretty standard.
Lastly, I have a personal love for Kaiju films and toku, so the Hoopa film (#18) was a love token for me. It's not necessarily the best-written, but it's still very competent and, visually, the most interesting to me. On that note, I highly recommend checking out the musical short that goes along with it in Japanese. It's absolutely spectacularto see a BGM-less musical using only Pokemon voices, buuuuuut only in Japanese (because the English dub couldn't license the Little Glee Monster song the entire short was animated for and just did random beats). You don't really need to know Japanese or care about the Japanese version of Pokemon overall to enjoy it.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
I am looking foward to this new movie getting dubbed in English, because i am raised at watching the dubbed version of the Pokemon anime!

TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Oh yes, they'll dub and edit the scene that are not inappropriate for children outside of Japan.

I’m sure that the movie would be released in both Sub and Dub versions....I think Funimation SHOULD dub it with Japanese character names and the original Japanese BGM, agreed?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
I’m sure that the movie would be released in both Sub and Dub versions....I think Funimation SHOULD dub it with Japanese character names and the original Japanese BGM, agreed?

As I said before and I’ll say it again: THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. EVER.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Funimation doesn't even own the home video rights to Pokemon. Those are owned by Viz.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:

TsukasaElkKite wrote:

which is the exact reason why diehard pokemon fans outside of japan DO NOT WATCH THE ENGLISH DUB and instead are watching both the TV series as well as the movies via fansub ever since nintendo & game freak have pretty much blocked the importing of the animax English dub version which are mean to be seen by English viewers of that region.

this is a practice that NEEDS to change if they want the series to be viewed by those that aren't in elementary school!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Freyanne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
From the Pokemon movies I've seen (a good majority of them, save for the Victini, Keldeo, Diancie, Volcanion, and Hoopa ones - I've seen bit and pieces, at best), my personal faves (excluding my bias for Mewtwo, heh) were the Entei, Lucario, Lati@s, and Darkrai ones. The newer "I Choose You!" movie wasn't too bad, either.
I'd argue that the Lucario movie was one the best Pokemon movies, even if you take nostalgia for the original trio movies (Mewtwo/Lugia/Entei) into account). If I had to pick one Pokemon movie to show to a friend who hasn't seen any past the first one, I'd show them Lucario.

michaeltanzer wrote:

They (not FUNi since they don't dub/own/release Pokemon) didn't release sub versions of the previous movies - what makes you think that they are going to do that now? Unless they make a huge announcement of such (which would have "happened" with I Choose You! if it really came down to it, since you know... special movie and all), don't expect for the JPN version to be released in the US.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pokémon movies are often known for cheesy titles like “Zoroark: Master of Illusions” and “Hoopa and the Clash of Ages”, but the title of Pokémon the Movie: Everyone's Story has a very distinct meaning. Rather than being at the center of every conflict, this time Ash shares the limelight with an ensemble of local townsfolk. Many of the character arcs happen independent of Ash, and by the end of the movie, he's only present for about half of the events that occur.

Quote:
Zeraora's personal story (and the one that Ash is most involved in) appears to retread a lot of ground for Pokémon. His story follows a similar arc to those of Mewtwo, Lucario, Genesect, and Volcanion along with countless others from the TV series. It's well-worn territory, but thankfully it's only given the same amount of screentime as any other character's narrative, staying true to the title of “Everyone's Story”.

Reading this it almost feels like Ash is just in this movie out of obligations which is not surprising. Anyway after reading this review I am even more eager to give this movie a try. The idea of telling multiple stories in one film got me bit skeptical as an idea like this seems like it would be difficulty to pull off in a movie. An idea like that would be easily handle in other mediums such as video games for example as I think about a game that was release very recently titled Octopath Traveler by Square Enix and Acquire which given how the game is set up can execute an idea like this more easily. However from this review it seems that the people behind this movie have manage to pull it off for the most part. I look forward to seeing just how they manage to do it.

GlassesMan wrote:
for people who've seen all of the Pokemon films, what would you say the best one is?

I have not seen all the films but I would say the one I like the most so far is titled The Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea or as it is known in my home country as Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea. It is the fourth and final movie of Pokémon Advance Generation and the 9th Pokémon movie overall. There is something about the movie that feels right to me that I do not recall experience watching the other movies, and whenever a movie or show hits the right beat for me I consider that a good thing (but that could be said for anyone who experiences media).

Aca Vuksa wrote:

Would you care to explain what those scenes are that are inappropriate to children who live in the U.S?

michaeltanzer wrote:

The day that happens would be the day people would not need to rely on fansubs to watch the Pokemon anime if they want to experience the shows without the changes. Sadly the chances of that happening are very slim for a couple of factors, the part of which Takato Sakura and Freyanne had already pointed out.

jr240483 wrote:

which is the exact reason why diehard pokemon fans outside of japan DO NOT WATCH THE ENGLISH DUB and instead are watching both the TV series as well as the movies via fansub ever since nintendo & game freak have pretty much blocked the importing of the animax English dub version which are mean to be seen by English viewers of that region.

this is a practice that NEEDS to change if they want the series to be viewed by those that aren't in elementary school!

I do not know if I understand your statement fully, J. Are you saying the reason people are watching the fandubs of Pokémon is because the U.S dubs of the shows are blocked from Japan?

Also I do not think they are really aiming to target people outside the middle/late childhood stages (at least for the most part), so the chances of them changing this kind practice (which I have not heard of until now) is low. The franchise is still meant for children first and foremost and those are the people The Pokémon Company is going to be stick with focusing on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
For as much as fans complain about the business practices of TPCI, having seen both the dub and Japanese version of Pokemon, the dub is about faithful to the original as it's going to get and it's pretty faithful for a localized dub for kids. The only significant changes I can tell have been made are changing the music and localizing the names. But the dialog is a lot more faithful than the 4Kids dub was with less plot rewrites and censorship cuts. The only episode I'm aware TPCI has skipped is the recent blackface episode of Sun and Moon, which honestly, it's perfectly understandable why Disney wouldn't want their brand name associated with that. People complain about the old dub being better but it was 4Kids who made the most significant changes to the dub and the TPCI dub is probably one of the most accurate kids dubbed anime out there.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
For as much as fans complain about the business practices of TPCI, having seen both the dub and Japanese version of Pokemon, the dub is about faithful to the original as it's going to get and it's pretty faithful for a localized dub for kids. The only significant changes I can tell have been made are changing the music and localizing the names. But the dialog is a lot more faithful than the 4Kids dub was with less plot rewrites and censorship cuts. The only episode I'm aware TPCI has skipped is the recent blackface episode of Sun and Moon, which honestly, it's perfectly understandable why Disney wouldn't want their brand name associated with that. People complain about the old dub being better but it was 4Kids who made the most significant changes to the dub and the TPCI dub is probably one of the most accurate kids dubbed anime out there.

From what I see it 4kids did a terrible job with the U.S dubbing of pokémon but at least did an excellent job when it came to providing original music to the show. When the pokémon anime switch over from what I have heard and seen a bit it would appear it has become the other way around. On the one hand it seems that we have been getting better quality dubs of the shows but a weaker music score.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
I will agree the dub music is the weakest part of the TPCI Pokemon dub though the theme songs are still pretty good to me. While I'll always love Veronica Taylor as Ash, I think Sarah Natochenny does a fine job as Ash and I appreciate she does her own unique take on the character instead of trying to copy Veronica and she doesn't deserve all the hate she gets. Team Rocket is the only ones that still sounds like copycat voices and I can't ever quite get used to but they're fine enough. Jessie is probably the best of the Team Rocket TPCI VAs. The post 4Kids characters generally sound fine to me and I don't have any issue with them. If the music is the biggest issue with the TPCI dub, I feel like the level of hate it gets from purist fans is a bit disproportionate at times. I feel like most of the hatred of the TPCI dub is due to the terrible way they treated the 4Kids cast which is a valid criticism and out of nostalgia for the 4Kids dub but not really a complaint about the actual quality of the TPCI dub.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I will agree the dub music is the weakest part of the TPCI Pokemon dub though the theme songs are still pretty good to me. While I'll always love Veronica Taylor as Ash, I think Sarah Natochenny does a fine job as Ash and I appreciate she does her own unique take on the character instead of trying to copy Veronica and she doesn't deserve all the hate she gets. Team Rocket is the only ones that still sounds like copycat voices and I can't ever quite get used to but they're fine enough. Jessie is probably the best of the Team Rocket TPCI VAs. The post 4Kids characters generally sound fine to me and I don't have any issue with them. If the music is the biggest issue with the TPCI dub, I feel like the level of hate it gets from purist fans is a bit disproportionate at times. I feel like most of the hatred of the TPCI dub is due to the terrible way they treated the 4Kids cast which is a valid criticism and out of nostalgia for the 4Kids dub but not really a complaint about the actual quality of the TPCI dub.

Fair enough! As for the voice acting while I no longer watch the dud I have seen clips of from XY and and Sun Moon and I would agree the voice acting is one of the highlights of the U.S dub of the Pokemon anime; especially when it comes to Ash. I like the fact that Sarah decided to approach Ash her own and from what I have seen it looked to have worked out in the long term. I think she does a wonderful job in capturing his childlike fascination and excitement of Ash. In fact Ash voice seems to be the closest one to sound child like which I can't say for the other characters who are children, but I know it can't be help. In terms of voice acting the actors do a good job as well. I can't say much for the Team Rocket trio since I have hardly heard how they sound in the U.S dub.

As for the hate the U.S dub of pokémon gets, I can understand it being unreasonable if we are simply talking about music. The only major problem I see with the U.S dub would be how the music is handle (both theme songs and background music), and while that is a valid criticism as a whole you are right in that the pokémon dubs of today are not as bad as they once were when 4kidsa was handling them. However, I never heard about how former voice actors were treated though. It doesn't seem to be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3