• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who watches the opening and Ending credits for each episode?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronolo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Do you remember when Kimagure Orange Road (TV) was first released on DVD by Animeigo? The very first print run had the following :

Opening Sequence -> 4 Episodes (No Credits) -> Ending Credits

In other words, it would only show the Opening sequence and Ending Credits only once per disc. I remember the reasoning Animeigo did this was for those people will not have to press the Skip chapter button just to get through them. I myself am guilty of this if I am watching from a disc. Watching the same animation over and over again can become dull after a while.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
If I'm watching an anime from week-to-week and like a song I'll often watch it regularly. The OP for Made in Abyss is one example. When I'm binging through a lot of episodes in one sitting, I'll skip the OP and ED.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
I have to correct this. I bought Kimagure Orange Road from AnimEigo when it was first issued on DVD (in a full set). I just pulled out the first disk to confirm my memory. It has the opening sequence and ending credits (along with the middle eye catch and next episode previews) for all episodes. What was relegated to the "Credits Menu" was the English language version of the credits. As a result the opening sequence and ending credits of each episode was just as shown on Japanese TV. You may be thinking of Tokyo Pop's version of Vampire Princess Miyu. The first disk of that did omit the opening and ending sequences between episodes. They changed that for subsequent disks after they got a lot of grief for it.

In response to your basic question, it depends on how I'm watching the show. If I am watching weekly on Crunchyroll, I will usually watch the opening and ending sequences since it is easier than trying to skip them. On the other hand if I'm watching the show on disk, it will depend on the sequence. Some, either because of the animation or the music are worth watching several times, though even those get tiring after the first half of the show. The majority, however are only watching once or twice before skipping them each time.

When it comes to skipping the ending credits, you have to be careful. Some shows will have an animated epilogue after the credits on some or all episodes. Depending on how the disk was authored, these may or may not be part of the ending credits. If you do skip the end credits, it is a good idea to back up a few seconds to make sure you are not missing something.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
I watch the opening like almost every time. I only skip the opening if I'm binge watching a show and the opening really sucks. Openings (and endings) are a huge part of the anime watching experience for me. Every time I start watching a new show I'm excited to see and hear what the opening and ending of that show are like. Particularly watching the opening puts me on the proper mood to watch the episode, almost like a ritual or something. I sort of dislike it when episodes skip the opening, particularly if it's an opening I really like. Openings (and ending to a lesser extent) are like a big part of a show's identity in my opinion.

Endings aren't as important, but I watch them most of the time as well. I never skip them when I'm watching the show weekly, but I might skip them sometimes if I'm binge watching so that I can get to the next episode quicker.

Alan45 wrote:
When it comes to skipping the ending credits, you have to be careful. Some shows will have an animated epilogue after the credits on some or all episodes.

I hate that. I watch shows lying down on my bed. Often when the ending theme starts playing I'll get up from my bed, move to my PC and let the ending theme play in the background. Then I suddenly hear talking or something and notice that there's still some episode left. Now I'm left in an annoying situation: It's too late to go lie down on my bed to watch the rest of the episode comfortably so I kinda have to watch the last few minutes in a less comfortable position. Same situation kinda occurs if I want to skip the ending and then notice that there's a bit of episode left. First world problems.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It depends. I pretty much NEVER skip openings. I'm more likely to skip endings unless they're ones I like.
Currently:

Angels of Death -Never skip either
Konjiki No Gash Bell- sometimes skip ED, never the OP
BnHA-never skip OPs, sometimes skip EDs
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
It varies heavily from title to title. If it's got a great opener or closer then I'll watch it every time, even on a rewatch. (See Black Lagoon, where I'll even crank up the volume for the OP.) If the opener/closer is forgettable then I'll watch it once or twice and then skip it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
It depends on how much i like the anime.
I did for Akuma no Riddle (Riddle Story of Devi) and Saga of Tanya the Evil
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
@Key

That is funny, I found Black Lagoon's opener to be one of the few that is completely unlistenable and the animation unwatchable. It never occurred to me that someone would like it. I think my age is showing.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I never skip OPs end EDs, even when I'm bingeing a show.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Key

That is funny, I found Black Lagoon's opener to be one of the few that is completely unlistenable and the animation unwatchable. It never occurred to me that someone would like it. I think my age is showing.

Whaaaaaaat DUDE!!! xD You're SO in the minority here!! I love Red Fraction; I never skip it on my playlist and it's on a lot of peoples' Favorite Openings list on youtube as well.

It's a rave song, it has sick base, it has cool lyrics, it's sung by Mell who has done songs with Kotoko and I've Sound; all three of them were huge and still pretty popular even nowadays.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
Eh, I didn't like Black Lagoon's opening either. It wasn't ear bleedingly bad, but I didn't really like sitting through it. I usually don't notice bad Engrish in Japanese songs, in fact there are times I think they are still singing Japanese (like parts of the Bladedance of the Elementalers opening is sung in English, but for the longest time I thought all of it was in Japanese lol), but somehow the Engrish in Black Lagoon's opening sounds really awful to me. And the music doesn't sound nice to me ear. It does fit the show fairly well though.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
@Chiibi

It is a generational thing, I'm probably older than your parents. What do they think of it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Chiibi

It is a generational thing, I'm probably older than your parents. What do they think of it.

Aww. It's so nice that you assume they'd even let me play that "Jappu crap" music around them.

Laughing
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
Occasionally I can get in a burn-out mode and Ops can murder a show. Especially the unsubbed ones on Crunchyroll.

"Oh, here we have another group of girls singing in unison... Should I wait for them to each blurt their mini verses or play a game? I think I'm going to play a game." And I stop wathing a show before it even starts.

But basically, it's like everything. You watch good animation if its dynamic or tells you something about the show. You listen to the music if you like the music.

You usually watch everything when you're in the manic mode typified by an early watcher when you watch ALL THE ANIMES and everything is good because everything is new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The only time I would skip either would be when I’m binging a show and if I’m not particularly grabbed by the music of the ED, at a certain point in the show’s runtime, I’ll just start skipping most of it until right before the music stops in case any animation appears after the credits roll so that I can start the next episode earlier. But besides that, I never skip the OP/ED, whether I’m watching the show weekly or binging it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2