• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Banner of the Stars Novel in 5 Years Debuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
The Crest and Banner series are somewhat odd ones at this point. They were fairly popular at the time, at least Bandai did give the anime a couple of re-releases. And Tokyopop licensed and released the first novels. And yet despite the series both being extensively discussed since. (There have been at least two dedicated fan-sites and forums, which is more than most shows of the era. Abh Nation and Kin of the Stars are the largest, and KotS is still quite active.) The novels and anime have languished in license hell since. The anime at least seems a fairly sure bet of having reasonable sales. I can only think at this point that there is a party actively blocking an English language re-release. I would be very surprised if no one has attempted to license it.

Funimation owns the rights to the anime but for whatever reason, Bandai hasn't given them the masters for the show yet. I only ever bought the first Crest of the Stars novel years ago but I enjoyed this series a lot and I would also love to see a re-release of the novels.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
[Honestly I didn't mind the dub. Crest was pretty...raw, especially for most of the side characters, but Jinto and Lafiel's actors grew into their roles, and by Banner they were doing pretty well.
'
In fairness, I will agree that the two principals improved substantially by the time Banner rolled around. There were also some other solid performances for the second series and third series, especially the little-used Keith Hamill as Samson. However, that very stilted flavor that you find charming is what almost killed the English dub for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I'm with you 100%
I don't believe anyone ever released the Banner of the stars novels.. if they did, I would have found them already!

I'm mostly familiar with the plot.. so I wonder what will change with this release.

and someone needs to release the Banner of the Stars 3 OVA.. that never made it state side.

tokyopop did do the light novels. BUT it was unfortunately only two.

however this series definitely needs to be taken a look at again. i mean if the legend of galactic heroes and arslan senki can get the benefit of the doubt, then i am sure that the sekai no senki series can be as well. especially for the case of galactic heroes which is uber older than sekai!

I can only find evidence that they released the first 3 Crest of the Stars novels, I don't think they ever released any translated BOTS novels. They did release the "Sekai Trilogy" though which was a manga adaptation of Crest, and Banner 1 and 2. As a huge fan of the work I would have been all over an English release of the BOTS novels, had it actually happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2