• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Promised Neverland Manga Enters Final Arc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm fine with that. I don't think the story really lends itself to be 40+ volumes long. Having a WSJ series that's both successful and doesn't run forever is nice, as I'm not too fond of series with 20+ volumes anymore. Maybe that's an age thing?
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
I'm fine with that. I don't think the story really lends itself to be 40+ volumes long. Having a WSJ series that's both successful and doesn't run forever is nice, as I'm not too fond of series with 20+ volumes anymore. Maybe that's an age thing?

You're not the only one. I started to feel this way after Food Wars continued to drag on after the end of Central Arc.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
Well that was quick. But then Shonen Jump final arcs can go on for quite some time so... Another two to three years for Neverland.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Well that was quick. But then Shonen Jump final arcs can go on for quite some time so... Another two to three years for Neverland.

Neverland is not a classic Jump Manga though. It won't last that long and will most likely end in a few months.

Happy to see that though. A manga which is completely different from the other Jump Mangas doing so well and being allowed to have its own pacing.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
I also believe that it should be a shorter story, but I did imagine (due to its sheer popularity) that it would last longer than it did. Hopefully this means the anime is a complete adaptation.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
Huh. I didn't think it would end so soon. I wonder how many volumes it'll have? Maybe I should start reading it now that it's close to ending.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
I think a good length for a weekly shounen title, provided it doesn't get axed early because of lack of popularity or because it was mean to be short, is up to 10-12 vol. Even after those 10-12 vol., there are sequels, spin-offs, and prequels that can be made (be it light novel or manga).
Modab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I see some people assuming that this means there are only 2 volumes left, and that may be true, but I doubt it. The article reads more like we have reached the halfway point, in which case it would run just as long as it already has. Without getting into too many spoilers, it looks like a few new major characters were just introduced (and a magic system?), and resolving their arcs with the children, if similar to previous character arcs in the story, will take at least 5 volumes to explore.

Is it not doing well any longer? I could see if readership had declined there might be a rush job to finish it in 2 volumes, but if they are only just launching the anime I imagine it will run for a couple more years.

I agree that a manga should only run as long as it needs to. Don't bury it in mediocrity. That's why I stopped reading long-running western comics.

P.S.
I remember a similar news article a few years ago about the "One Piece" halfway point, heh.
P.P.S.
I love One Piece Smile
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Considering the timeskip that just happened: the end is nigh
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Neverland is not a classic Jump Manga though. It won't last that long and will most likely end in a few months.

Happy to see that though. A manga which is completely different from the other Jump Mangas doing so well and being allowed to have its own pacing.

No it will end in a few years since Kaiu Shirai said that it will be 20-30 volumes long.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Huh. I didn't think it would end so soon. I wonder how many volumes it'll have? Maybe I should start reading it now that it's close to ending.

Kaiu Shirai said it will be 20-30 volumes long.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I also believe that it should be a shorter story, but I did imagine (due to its sheer popularity) that it would last longer than it did. Hopefully this means the anime is a complete adaptation.

It still has another 10-20 more volumes, also the anime will only adapt the first arc.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:

I doubt that. While Neverland certainly isn't trying to run forever, with the amount of stuff still left to cover from the most recent reveals, I'd expect at least another year of publication. They're certainly not going to end it before the anime's even released.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people here should do some research or at least ANN should mention that the author in a recent interview, like last month, stated that the manga willprobably last between 20 and 30 volumes (currently 10 volumes released), final arc doesn't mean much, both Gintama and Bleach took YEARS to end and this will obviously be the case for Neverland taking in count how many things has yet to happen in the manga and how popular it is, the manga has easily a full year to say the least
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Ezgoes wrote:
without even being confirmed yet.

It is confirmed, our newsroom staff have the physical issue of Shonen Jump where the authors specifically say it's in the last arc in the comments section.

As for the interview where one of the authors said the manga will be 20-30 volumes, we were not aware of that interview, which is why we didn't mention it.

We've since found the interview that everyone is referencing, but unfortunately none of our main newsroom staff can read French. Once I can confirm with the staff of our sister site Animeland that the interview does say that, I will be happy to update the article.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2