• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX At Crunchyroll Expo 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-ninja-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The gender politics of the show were quite controversial, particularly the relationship between Mitsuru and Kokoro. What message were you trying to communicate and what sort of response did you expect?

Why was Mitsuru and Kokoro controversial?

seltzermx wrote:

It was controversial to the ANN staff reviewing the show. Because "heteronormativity" or something. Apparently they've never seen an anime where a boy and a girl end up together.

Is this really why? You can't be serious.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
#882684 wrote:
Why was Mitsuru and Kokoro controversial?

There was some early complaining in the big discussion thread that some people thought Mitsuru was gay based on his interactions with the male MC early on, and then when he wasn't those people were angry. And there were complaints that Kokoro's character (together with some of Dr. FranXX's speeches) was the vessel for a dehumanizing message about reproduction being fundamental to a person being fully human.

Most of the complaints weren't narrowly focused on those two characters, though, and I don't think it's right to pinpoint them as the center of the controversy. The complaints about Mitsuru in particular were a pretty minor wave in the ocean of FranXX criticisms.

The Kokoro theme I described above was more prominent in those discussions, but there was a lot of other gender ideology stuff that was at least as heatedly argued about, especially how the show handled Ikuno, as well as some lengthy arguments (in the ANN podcasts) that tried to read the show's use of A.P.E. as an American-conservative boogeyman, in particular as a stand-in for right-wing monsterizations of modern gender-fluidity / gender-freedom movements.

And there were plenty of largely apolitical complaints as well---about shoddy writing; shallow, unintentionally schizoid characters; about FranXX carelessly Frankenstein'ing together the themes of the shows to which it wanted to pay homage; and so on...
-ninja-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 am Reply with quote
I remember the brouhaha over the bad guys being genderless which rubbed every social justice type the wrong way. But it's so bizzare for that question to zero in on Mitsuru and Kokoro.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3