• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: I Want to Eat Your Pancreas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like an anime version of The Fault In Our Stars.
rtil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
The film was hyper underwhelming for me. The emotional connection between the main leads was really specific that it was hard for me to relate to them at all level. Surprisingly though, there were a lot of people crying in the theatre near the end, I guess that means I am cold Confused ?

i don't think so. it doesn't take much to tug at your average anime fan's heartstrings. just the right amount of emotional manipulation is all you need - chemistry, character development and proper establishment of a relationship not required.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 am Reply with quote
I loved it. I'm still in the "Honeymoon" phase of things, so my outlook may not be entirely critical, but I think it's a perfect 10/10 and a great movie about, as the book says, "Living with Dying." I only have a couple of complaints, but I don't think that a 10/10 is flawless. It just does the most good.

Firstly, I think the main character is a little TOO easy to insert yourself into, and not just because he goes through most of the film nameless. Second, the near-rape scene was... erm... I don't know. I didn't like it, but it wasn't poorly done, and I'm not about to say it shouldn't be there because who am I to tell an artist what they can and can't portray. It just felt very sudden and out of character, but that was kind of the point. Not to mention, it might not have seemed "rapey" to a Japanese audience. Maybe that sort of aggression happens all the time? Who knows? I'm not Japanese.

My only worry is that, like with the boob-grabbing gag in Your Name, the near-rape scene will be a huge barrier of entry for a non-anime fan going into this movie. It's a shame because this is my favorite movie of 2019 so far (I know that doesn't say much...).
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:24 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Your Entire Post

Mostly agree. I don't like giving scores for the precise "honeymoon phase" you mention after just watching a show/movie, but I would have given it an 8 (on my scale). I will say that I did enjoy the experience and got out of it about what I expected.

As far as the twist towards the end after having had time to reflect, I interpreted it as spoiler[a direct call-back to Sakura's comment to MC-kun towards the beginning of the film about how each day she has is worth as much as any other day, regardless of what she does, because she is alive and gets to live and that it should be the same for MC-kun because he may be hit by a car and killed tomorrow (may be botching it a bit).]

One fan's reasoning that I saw after getting home and reading about others' reactions that I quite liked was spoiler[that it provided the opportunity for the audience to experience the sudden realization that we were going to be robbed of the remaining time of interaction/bonding we thought we had before Sakura succumbed to her illness, just like MC-kun experienced.] That's a post-hoc rationalization, so take it with a grain of salt, but it made me appreciate the "twist" a bit more.

I will say that I would have had a much more sour taste in my mouth if I had left during the credits before the post-credits scene. That tied it all together rather nicely in my opinion.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Sethimothy wrote:
I guess there's something wrong with me because the review blurb says "don't let this romantic tearjerker's extremely unusual title..." and I cut it off with "What's unusual about that title? Lady wants to eat a pancreas, clearly she's in love. Whose significant others DON'T threaten to take a body part or two?"

It is a BIZARRE title which I've said all along and poked fun at.

The title sounds like an Emo version of "I Want to Hold My Hand" from The Beatles, except except being sang in a really bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenWdylTtzs
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, this movie sounds worse than I thought. When will content creators learn that dying girls aren't tools for other characters' growth and melodrama?
To be fair, this trope has roots in the Victorian era (when it was much more common for young people to die and tuberculoses was practically depicted as sexy) , but it's still maudlin.
What makes it worse is Japan's apparently strong illness taboos makes it impossible to depict most conditions realistically, reinforcing those taboos. If Sakura has pancreatic cancer, she doesn't look like it, treatments aren't mentioned, and she seemingly suffers no side effects, just a shorter life span.
A Silent Voice wasn't a perfect movie (I was disappointed that was almost completely from Shoya's perspective) but it invested in the details of Shoko's struggles with disability (including actual sign language, and hearing aids) and didn't make her preternaturally cheerful about her circumstances.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2