• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Heart-Pounding Anime Sword Fights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
For myself, one of the greatest anime sword-fights of all time is the climactic duel between Jiro and Tenkai in The Dagger of Kamui.

killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Does the entirety of Katanagatari count?

I mean, they're 'swords'
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Vannil wrote:
I do think the Illya vs Saber Alter fight from Prisma Illya was really great sword fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny48TvSAX90

Thank you for bringing up Prisma Illya! It definitely has some of the best fights in the Fate series period and I absolutely love Illya Archer Vs. Saber Alter. Also Oath Under The Snow with Shirou Vs. Angelica is also fantastic as well.

While I myself would have included Shirou Vs. Angelica I felt like it was kinda underwhelming visually.
Don't get me wrong it was perhaps one of the most emotionally charged fights of the fate series that I've been invested it, perhaps until the remaining heavens feel movies get released but it's animation just wasn't as effective as it should have been.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
BottyProductio1 wrote:
...it's not a classic obviously, but nothing about Katsugeki Touken Ranbu?

I mean say what you will about the series overall, but it had some damned good sword fights.

Yes it indeed did. The fights were great.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Shame not a single mention from Mobile Suit Gundam or any other mecha series. Seriously it doesn’t make it any less of a sword fight if it’s between two giant robots with laser swords. Crying or Very sad
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:51 am Reply with quote
Agreed, Nanashi vs. Luo-lang I feel like will always remain one of my all-time favorites.

Cool list. Also, reminds me I want to re-watch Ninja Scroll soon now that I have the blu-ray.

Errinundra wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Glad to see both Sword of the Stranger and Champloo make the list. Those are two of my favorite animation sequences ever.

This. They are first two that come to mind the moment any such list is brought up. Anyone who hasn't seen Sword of the Stranger and who loves action anime, track it down. It's not so much the animation, which is good, as the superb choreography and the dramatic timing.

100%

BottyProductio1 wrote:
...it's not a classic obviously, but nothing about Katsugeki Touken Ranbu?

I mean say what you will about the series overall, but it had some damned good sword fights.

Totally agree, this thing had some amazing animation despite the story flaws. I also liked the dub cast so that helped.

Vannil wrote:
I do think the Illya vs Saber Alter fight from Prisma Illya was really great sword fight

This is a great lesser-known pick.

Blackiris_ wrote:
The first Garo anime had a really intense sword fight scene.

Great fight!
VentureBro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
not gonna lie i instantly clicked this link cause of the fate cover(i was gonna click it eventually though).
I'm quite pleased that shiro vs archer made this list even if the ranking is in no particular order.
And while overall this fate fight had more on the line than most, fate has always been full of breathtaking fight scenes.
In UBW the surprise attack by spoiler[Souichirou on saber was so incredible it had me on the edge of my seat] even the fight with Illya vs saber alter in prisma was one of my favourites.
The gintama reference caught me off guard, i actually thought it was nothing but a parody manga.

Oh you poor soul, you have barely seen the Greatness of Gintama. Its got more then just its Parody with Action, Drama, Romance, Tragedy, Adventure, Mecha and the list goes on.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Good that Chopper didn't get outvoted by his lesser clone Happy. Laughing
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Teresa vs 4 Claymores vs Priscilla - Claymore is one of my favorites.

Illya vs Saber Alter in Prisma Illya was great too.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

What Bleach fight could hold a candle to any of these? They were almost universally poorly-animated and horribly-paced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpmV8_QVFSQ
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Shame not a single mention from Mobile Suit Gundam or any other mecha series. Seriously it doesn’t make it any less of a sword fight if it’s between two giant robots with laser swords. Crying or Very sad

Oh i actually forgot all about that.
Gundam has had some really great fights.
Off the top of my head the best one I can think of is the 'final' battle of iron blooded orphans.
Mikazuki was such a savage monster, Barbatos howling during the fight gave me the chills.
spoiler[Its a shame that it ended so inconclusively, thematically that is, I don't think studio resources was the deciding factor Very Happy]
Then Kira and Athrun's first serious fight was my first exposure to gundam as a kid and it rocked my world.
The last battle in seed with Kira vs Rao la Cruset was also great, to me there was something inherently sad about the ideals Rao was screaming to Kira given his circumstances.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin indeed has one of the best sword fights in anime, but it's not Kenshin vs. Shishio, it's Kenshin vs. Saito.

That's still my all-time favorite. I prefer it without Kaoru's cutaways, but the moment when Kenshin's hair is unleashed, you know it's on, and from there you really get the sense of wild animals fighting to the death. And if not for the sakabatou, Kenshin would have beheaded him with that one strike to the back of Saito's neck. It's a masterpiece that holds up to this day.

There are also too many good fights in Champloo to pick just one. Mugen vs the blind assassin was a thing of beauty, and Jin was no slouch against her either.

Syaoran vs Syaoran in Tsubasa was pretty intense and nicely animated. I'll also give a big shout-out to Bell vs the Minotaur in DanMachi. That was so brutal it was hard to watch.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
In terms of using your environment to your advantage in a sword fight I'd have to give major props to the first episode of Rage of Bahamut Genesis. There were lots of good swordplay in that show but the opening duel was especially fun and well done.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
Vannil wrote:

Thank you for bringing up Prisma Illya! It definitely has some of the best fights in the Fate series period and I absolutely love Illya Archer Vs. Saber Alter. Also Oath Under The Snow with Shirou Vs. Angelica is also fantastic as well.

While I myself would have included Shirou Vs. Angelica I felt like it was kinda underwhelming visually.
Don't get me wrong it was perhaps one of the most emotionally charged fights of the fate series that I've been invested it, perhaps until the remaining heavens feel movies get released but it's animation just wasn't as effective as it should have been.

Did you watch the Blu-Ray version of the fight? It received a visual overhaul (along with every other post Shinji fight) and looked WAY better then the initial theater and internet release of the movie. I think that version and the way manga portrayed it definitely make it one of my favorite "sword" fights in Fate still.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Can't argue with any of the fights mentioned so far. A personal favorite "Heart-Pounding" sword fight of mine is the final fight of Chivalry of a Failed Knight; Ikki vs. Todo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoIpHIMTBHY

It's quite different from the others listed, but i love the direction and passion exuding from this scene, and the way it caps off the absolute gauntlet Ikki has gone through to this point.

Some people have mentioned Bleach, and i'll agree that a lot of Bleach fights fall into the usual shonen-anime negatives of being bloated, over-long, and minimally animated. However, one i particularly remember liking was, of all things, Ichigo vs. Grimmjow. It really felt like the animation was a few steps above the usual standard, and it was especially cathartic to me, given how unsatisfying most of the Hueco Mundo arc was to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTrj8pbmtUY
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3