• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: FLCL Alternative

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
See, I interpreted it as Kana using N.O. to physically move Mars and Earth next to eachother. Kana and her friends were still on Earth, but Haruko and Pets were on Mars, but the point was that the separation wasn't permanent.

I think I was wrong, though. Rather, it might be that it was Mars and Haruko is just outside of the domed city. But that would imply that most of Earth was still destroyed, since they couldn't all live in a handful of domed cities.

Yeah, I dunno. But hey, Mass-Production Cantis!
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate Pets for being a legit jerk, who broke off her and Kana's friendship, over her vague sense of Kana's true intentions (she literally screams that she only truly cares about herself as she's attempting to pull her body down from a gross alien hand thing), I'm glad she didn't appear in the final episode. I feel I relate to Kana, it's not easy up and losing some someone you care about for seemingly no reason, and I'm glad it didn't end in the usual "friendship cures all," ending.

All told, I'm glad we didn't get a lot of cameos from the original series, which allowed the show to be its own thing. Also far as comparing it to the original, I feel like a lot of people went into this thinking nothing was going to top the original, and nothing was going to change their opinion of that.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
They really went full Gainex ending here. Did Kana reset the earth? Where did Haruko end up at? What happened to Pets? Is that second planetary body in the sky, Mars? Will this be the last of FLCL?

Ending was much too abrupt to be fully satisfying but Alternative was overall a pretty good sequel unlike Progressive as it's themes weren't muddled and were true to the spirit of the original and Kana had a character arc unlike Hidomi. The ending also reminded me a lot of Big O's second season, which was also a co-production with Williams Street. Hmmm...
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
As much as I hate Pets for being a legit jerk, who broke off her and Kana's friendship, over her vague sense of Kana's true intentions (she literally screams that she only truly cares about herself as she's attempting to pull her body down from a gross alien hand thing), I'm glad she didn't appear in the final episode. I feel I relate to Kana, it's not easy up and losing some someone you care about for seemingly no reason, and I'm glad it didn't end in the usual "friendship cures all," ending.

The problem isn't that it didn't end in a "friendship cures all" sort of thing...it just leaves no satisfaction to Pets whatsoever. Anyone who was fans to her are likely going to feel betrayed by making her character abrruptly hypocritical like that. It' dbe better if Pets at least said that she's sorry and that at least she'll still remember Kana.

But since she doesn't do that, it'll leave off with a bad impression of her that honestly, should make her feel like crap for leaving not only one friend, but three. It's subverting expectations for the sake of...subverting expectations. There was no thought put into writing Pets off sake for just doing it. Have a point, have something, have something else beyond rating to Kana for her one flaw, have her try to give it a second chance.

Or, like I said before, at least have Pets show a bit of remorse, and really, she should at least have been at the end of the epoisode, saying that maybe she'll see Kana again when she's ready. THERE.

The lack of any payoff to Pets herself got me so annoyed that I actually made a fanfic continuation to the season overall: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13093273/1/FLCL-Alternative-Plus
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3