• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Joshi Kausei Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime in 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Maybe you should realize that years ago, self-insert works (mostly harem, isekai, and idol) had been one of the bigger markets in Japan. However, a lot of questionable factors (fanservice, generic tropes, creepy male otaku) also had it made the country look bad from other countries. I honestly do not blame Yamakan for ranting about the otaku people. All girls genre is not completely original. It is just that it feels like a breath of fresh air. Self-insert has been so overused for more than a decade, it is hard to find anything that stands out from it. And unlike self-insert, all girls series is more acceptable worldwide because the series having it are clearly more than just escapism and girls simply being cute. Not to mention that the people here are not as amused with truckloads of generic harem and isekai works as they were in the past few years.

How does one genre of many in anime changing over time by itself make an entire country look bad? There seems to be flimsy reasoning going here since that type of occurrence is one of the last things Japan should even think to be worried about. The All Girls as main characters genre has been a thing for well over twenty years now and the “freshness” has long since dissipated. There can easily be a case made that that genre (and it’s tropes) is overused. What does acceptability has to do with quality of the content itself? If you genuinely think that what’s all the self-insert/harem shows only provide and is the sole reason people watch them, then it’s apparent that you don’t watch much, if any, shows of the genre, unless you consider just reading the synopsis as watching the whole show. If people don’t like the genre (such as yourself), that’s fine, but going out of your way to try and “convert” others into not liking it as much as you do, that is what can make you look questionable instead of the shows themselves. If people aren’t amused with a genre, they could always, you know, simply ignore it as nobody is forced to watch any of it. But it looks like that’s too much for some to do. Indifference looks to be a virtue and rarity these days, which is disappointing. If you have such beef with the self-insert/harem genre, why do you feel the need to even mention it in this thread when the article and the people before you never did so, because it simply looks like you’re reaching for an excuse to hate on it, which comes off as pathetic. Complaining like you are here now is not going to make the genre go away and that’s a good thing because anime can serve all kinds of fans. I don’t why is it that hard to accept.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
RangerDanger wrote:
How does one genre of many in anime changing over time by itself make an entire country look bad? There seems to be flimsy reasoning going here since that type of occurrence is one of the last things Japan should even think to be worried about. The All Girls as main characters genre has been a thing for well over twenty years now and the “freshness” has long since dissipated. There can easily be a case made that that genre (and it’s tropes) is overused. What does acceptability has to do with quality of the content itself? If you genuinely think that what’s all the self-insert/harem shows only provide and is the sole reason people watch them, then it’s apparent that you don’t watch much, if any, shows of the genre, unless you consider just reading the synopsis as watching the whole show. If people don’t like the genre (such as yourself), that’s fine, but going out of your way to try and “convert” others into not liking it as much as you do, that is what can make you look questionable instead of the shows themselves. If people aren’t amused with a genre, they could always, you know, simply ignore it as nobody is forced to watch any of it. But it looks like that’s too much for some to do. Indifference looks to be a virtue and rarity these days, which is disappointing. If you have such beef with the self-insert/harem genre, why do you feel the need to even mention it in this thread when the article and the people before you never did so, because it simply looks like you’re reaching for an excuse to hate on it, which comes off as pathetic. Complaining like you are here now is not going to make the genre go away and that’s a good thing because anime can serve all kinds of fans. I don’t why is it that hard to accept.

And from the sound of your tone, you really do not understand why some people, especially here, are so fed up with self-insert/harem, Japan's fascination with it, and the otaku culture. They have all the right to complain and bash those kinds of series, especially with the recent isekai anime that was just announced. You are no different either with your reasoning and your insult of mine. Mind you, I have watched those harem shows and all I felt from those was "meh" "boring" and "dumb". There was even one season where THREE harems that have the same premise. Same garbage, different day. It is one thing to keep making "if you do not like it, do not watch it" excuses a bunch of times.Trying to defend and even condone the generic quality is another and it is just going to convince Japan to produce them even more. It is no wonder why some people from different parts of the globe look down on Japan.

>The All Girls as main characters genre has been a thing for well over twenty years now and the “freshness” has long since dissipated.

Are you serious, trying to make CGDCT look bad now? We have more self-insert/harem than CGDCT in over a decade or two and you believe that the latter is more dissipated and trying to make the seriously overblown former look good. Now that is pathetic. Perhaps you have been tuning in more to those shows for a long while. Try rewatching them and see why anime fans are not so pleased with them anymore. CGDCT, or rather just "girls doing things", has been going strong since the last decade. At least that has more to give out before becoming saturated. K-On, YuruYuri, GuP, KemoFure, YuYuYu, possibly Spyce as well. Thankfully, it is not going to stop from there.
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
No, I don’t understand why people who are “fed up” with them and bash them in the way that they do continuously because they are making a big deal out of nothing. Even if they have the right to do that, I (and others) have the right to call them out on it. I am nothing like them and I find it insulting that you think I am. “Excuses,” are you joking? Dude, no one is denying that the genre has its flaws, but to dismiss all the good points that it has in this vendetta of yours and imply that the CGDCT doesn’t have some bad habits themselves is ridiculous. If Japan produces more “generic” shows, Why does it matter so much to you? Do you genuinely believe having less of these shows is going make anime better? Producing less of those shows doesn’t mean more CGDCT will be made, it will simply mean less variety in the industry today, which is not okay. People looking down on Japan for producing something that is not for them is pitiful and sounds like they have bigger issues at hand. Now you’re just putting words in my mouth. I’m not making the CGDCT genre look bad. I watch and enjoy them myself. Lack of “freshness” by itself does not make anything bad. Are you seriously saying that the CGDCT isn’t overblown and doesn’t have people groaning over them (and not because they want more harems, that’s never a good assumption)? That’s completely ignorant of what just happened earlier in this thread. You telling me to rewatch shows that I enjoy so much just so I can learn to hate them is absolutely absurd, I can’t believe such a thing is even suggested. What about the fans of harem shows? Will they just have to piss off because you think that what they enjoy and are passionate about doesn’t matter and shouldn’t exist? That’s f*cking censorship, man, and I’m sick and tired of this attitude. If anything, the chance that those fans who could enjoy the CGDCT genre will be completely gone and resent it for what fans who act like you are advocating for. I’m pathetic for doing so much as trying to explain that the erasure of an entire genre simply due to some not enjoying it is not okay? No, just no.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
Alright guys, drop the flaming please.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:19 am Reply with quote
If a silent manga or film does have the occasional sound coming out of someone's mouth, like an "ouch!"-type sound, wouldn't technically still be a talkie of sorts?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2