• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Music Producer Predicts the End of the 90 Second Anime Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I would not worry about this too much. We're still a long ways away from streaming being the norm for anime in Japan. Very few shows are produced exclusively for streaming, and by the time when, if at all, the entire industry shifts to it, we'll all be dead most likely. And to be fair, most of the stuff made exclusively for online streaming tends to not be popular in Japan, like B the Beginning. OP and ED music is still an integral part to anime production and sponsorship, especially long-running daytime series and among otaku.

I agree that OPs and EDs are vital to the community aspect as well. Especially longer running shows. It's really a trip to go and watch a OP compilation for something like Detective Conan online where they showcase every opening theme from 1 to the current one. To see how a show evolves over the years, to reminisce about previous story arcs and past times.

Coincidentally, a lot of western television has axed opening theme songs entirely, or reduced them to similar 5-10 second jingles. Animation also adapted to a 11 minute per episode format and abandoned the 30 minute standard a long time ago. Perhaps it was for streaming, or more advertiser space, but we've already seen the changes in the western television industry.

-Stuart Smith
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, my reception to a show is frequently dulled by its opening failing to captivate me, unreceptive as I am to new Anisong trends over the last decade. In this respect, ridding an anime of its 90-second musical prelude might count as lifting a barrier to my enjoyment of it, a practice From the New World was quite instrumental in trialling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Everyone replying NO in this thread cracks me up... It's not as if your opinion on the matter matters anyways. The material isn't created for English speakers. If studios are creating material solely for Netflix, they're at the whim of what Netflix wants. And besides, as of 2016, 70% of their users binge watch television shows, and that number is not likely to decline any time soon. Getting rid of the OP/ED in general allows for more material to be added to the show and possible clear up any loose plot holes or what not.

Quote:
A large % of anime users don't "binge watch" - we prefer to watch things weekly.

Do you have a source for that claim there, chief? I think it's the opposite, in fact. You can't really cite crunchyroll as an example because they force you to watch weekly for simulsub series and what not. I'm sure the data of binge watching a show after it has been fully released is considerably high like Netflix.

Quote:
Give us new anime weekly and not all at once. People that want to binge can still binge, people that don't want to binge can watch it weekly. Yes, people can still "watch it weekly" when it's all out, but as I've stated here before, a large problem with this still is that it destroys basically every discussion forum for the show. Weekly speculation and debates are huge part of the fandom.

But weekly isn't Netflix's model. Never has and never will be. If you don't like it, break it down to your own weekly schedule. Again, I cite my previous comment about Netflix-tailored series being at their whim and not towards any particular group. Don't debate those shows then... it's not that hard. Netflix will probably never have a massive amount of anime like Crunchyroll does so I think you're safe for your "weekly discussion and/or speculation" threads.

Quote:
...but they WORK well at building hype before a show starts and finishes and I love when a show plays out to an ED song.

Hype? Where? That magic is lost after the first episode anyways. Besides, anime OPs are notorious for depicting misleading scenes and what not, so what difference does it make?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Or maybe Netflix could introduce a feature that allows you to turn off the credit skip, so everyone can choose their own viewing experience, rendering an unnecessary move moot?

Like most big media companies, Netflix is not interested in giving the consumers any significant freedom. Sure, you can choose what to watch... technically. But their algorithm feeds you endless "recommendations" and the player itself is designed to encourage continuous binging; presumably so they can advertise large quantities of views to content-producers, even if half the time the person watching has literally fallen asleep.

Lack of ads is apparently the same business tactic as having them, since it makes you consume more--the customer is still the product, catch-22!--and trimming out any other potential interruptions like theme songs is part of that strategy. This is also why they're so reluctant to release episodes one at a time as they come out: they don't want you to just watch one video and then turn off the TV. If you plow through a whole season all at once, you're more likely to watch "just a few more" episodes of whatever the queue algorithm generates.

I still very much doubt anime theme songs are going to disappear, but if Netflix gobbles up enough of the industry, we might see the portion of them actually shown in each episode significantly shortened. That could also change how the songs themselves are structured (30 seconds isn't a good sample of most pop songs; free previews on iTunes and such used to be 30 seconds but were lengthened for this reason).
IchiroFox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
A huge chunk of my music collection is OP/EDs, I love them. I really don't want them to become a thing of the past.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope he's wrong, and I'm glad the other people here feel the same as I do. I hope that Netflix's binge style never becomes the norm for anime. It's much easier to find time to watch one 20-minute episode rather than an entire series, allowing more people to keep up on discussions. There are quite a few shows where reading predictions and analysis (and just silly jokes) on each episode was just as enjoyable as the anime itself, and made it more memorable. Plus, it may be stupid of me to think this, but the way it's been is the way it's been, for a very long time, and I don't want some American company coming in and changing anime like this. Openings and endings are fine the way they are. They're a great way to get a quick idea of what a show is like, there are so many that are so memorable or unique, for so many different reasons, and they often inspire fan creations like when people parody redraw one opening with the characters from another anime. I'll still listen to openings and endings from shows I watched more than ten years ago. There's so much to be said for them.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!!
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I would not worry about this too much. We're still a long ways away from streaming being the norm for anime in Japan. Very few shows are produced exclusively for streaming, and by the time when, if at all, the entire industry shifts to it, we'll all be dead most likely. And to be fair, most of the stuff made exclusively for online streaming tends to not be popular in Japan, like B the Beginning. OP and ED music is still an integral part to anime production and sponsorship, especially long-running daytime series and among otaku.

Exactly. If we are talking about original net animation (ONA), and looks like the majority of Netflix originals are going to be that, the binge watching can work because these ONA are aimed at audiences outside Japan were binge watching is more common and that eliminates the necessity for OP/ED.
These are shows that have less appeal to Japanese anime fans and if Netflix didn't pay for them, they probably would never be made

OP/ED are a big part of anime for Japan. Unlike Netflix anime, In Japanese anime part of the funding of these anime come from big music companies that use them for promoting their artists and i can't see them be OK if they reduce the episode time for their promotion, the OP/ED

Quote:
Fukuhara predicted that Chinese animation will catch up to Japanese animation, leading to more co-productions

Do he really think that would happen? When Chinese animation catch up, they will just drop Japan and make everything in China. Why would the Chinese spend money in Japan if the would be able do all themselves.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Everyone replying NO in this thread cracks me up... It's not as if your opinion on the matter matters anyways. The material isn't created for English speakers. If studios are creating material solely for Netflix, they're at the whim of what Netflix wants. And besides, as of 2016, 70% of their users binge watch television shows, and that number is not likely to decline any time soon. Getting rid of the OP/ED in general allows for more material to be added to the show and possible clear up any loose plot holes or what not.

Your stat is, presumably, for American shows, not anime. Considering the amount of anime fans everywhere who complain when Netflix holds a show hostage for an entire season and then go watch it on a pirate stream or torrent it, I imagine most anime fans don't like it.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
Hopefully, binge watching will never become the norm. That would mean to ask for a big part of anime fans to just change the way they watch anime for years.
Not like anyone cares about this show in particular. What Netflix will need to do is become more flexible and allow weekly episodes.

I've always binged watched most of my anime from the beginning. I hated waiting for serialized complex shows, and the details are sometimes are to remember just watching 20 min a week, while switching my attention to many other shows. The impact is also a lot less when every episode ends on a cliffhanger. It's like interrupting a ABCD pattern song then waiting a week to continue that song. Or it's like reading a chapter of a highly serialized book a week. People instead continue as much as possible, which is a book being a "page-turner" is a compliment. I know I'm not the only old-timer who marathons most shows.

As evidence for this outside of Netflix, look at everyone who complains about Sentai artificially restricting streaming their shows on HIDIVE that have already completed on Amazon to 1 episode per week. The complaints against Sentai's 1 a week choice are unanimous right here on ANN. If it's finished, people say then upload them all at once. Or likewise, when CR obtains a catalog show, they upload the episodes all at once and I'm not aware of anyone artificially restricting themselves to strictly 1 ep a week for these finished shows.

In any case, they're not really talking about the death of opening and endings but that since you can skip them and there's no strict time limit for streaming, it actually gives them more options. The opening becomes less important since you're watching every single episode and it's something you just heard 20+ mins ago. The ending as they said, can be longer -- 2.5 minutes ! in their example, since people can skip them.

Personally I would like to see more instrumental openings like they mentioned for B:The Beginning, and/or endings. The last one was Brynhildr in the Darkness. The good them about those is that the producers don't have to spend extra money licensing the OP/ED songs if they can have the show's own soundtrack composer to create the them like Brynhildr in the Darkness opening for the first 10
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
I do not agree with his statement, openings and endings are an important aspect to an anime, they're a part of a show's identity, just look at how many time Pokémon's japanese opening has been remixed.
However, his reasoning that insert songs could fill the place could be correct, Devilman Crybaby didn't have an opening but the show's remix of the 70's opening was catchy enough.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, Devilman Crybaby did have an opening.

Indeed.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I think this will be left up to individual creators and productions.

I also tend to skip the OP/EDs unless I really dig the song/visuals, or usually just the song, then I don't mind listening to it every time.

I guess it helps that you wait until next week for the next episode and thus binge watching may make this annoying.

Simple solution is include an option to skip with your remote/skip button or whatever. Though this may take added work for someone to check every episode to see when it begins/when it ends and queue the point as some show start the OP right away, some have recaps before the OP, and boy do I often skip many of those, especially the latest violator to fill time - Dragonball Super. Some shows have the OP starting after a brief new scene, some omit the OP altogether sometimes to fit in as much into a significant episode.

It's probably too much work and they'll likely just leave it to the audience to do it themselves.

I personally don't want to see them go away as some of them do kick ass, and as others mentioned are also used for marketing purposes and then to have more elaborate animation than the actual show to grab your interest.

But I'd be fine if some productions chose to skip them, whether streaming or not, or reducing them to 30 seconds or something.

There's plenty of room to play around.
HK16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
IGIARI! I predict that anime OP/ED themes will stay forever. There is so much good that comes from it. I have an anime OP/ED collection for a reason. I've been fine with One Piece ditching the ED songs and just adding an extra minute to the OP song (Share the World benefited from it because its so damn good), but that's just one anime and the ED songs weren't memorable to me. How else will casuals hear their favorite JP artist if OP/ED themes are gone? That's just one thing out of a lot of things I can mention.

F Netflix.
Wtv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Vadara wrote:
Who actually watches the OP and ED each time? These days I usually don't even watch either one for anything other than the first episode if that.

I do. Every single episode.

Deacon Blues wrote:
Do you have a source for that claim there, chief? I think it's the opposite, in fact. You can't really cite crunchyroll as an example because they force you to watch weekly for simulsub series and what not. I'm sure the data of binge watching a show after it has been fully released is considerably high like Netflix.

You don't have a source for that either. And in fact Netflix doesn't give us a choice.
When I say it won't happen, I wasn't event talking about west, but Japan. Most Netflix animes in Japan are simulcast, which makes sense. Anime is niche and an "otaku" thing. Good luck trying to make them change how they watch it.
Also, it's Japan, most people don't have time to binge watch anything.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Curiously, some early morning shows like Knight in the Area and Saint Seiya Omega actually did the opposite by forgoing the ending sequence, due to the slightly shorter time slot. Thanks to that, the show's general credits and the individual episode credits had to be squeezed into the 100-second opening.

Personally, I prefer the traditional opening/ending format because it gives me two cool songs to listen to every week instead of just one. I mean, I would have loved it if Shoko Nakagawa and Nobuo Yamada had also recorded a new version of the classic Saint Seiya ED "Eien Blue" for Omega in addition to their "Pegasus Fantasy" redo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5