• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Music Producer Predicts the End of the 90 Second Anime Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
No thanks. I think I'll keep my music.

Did anyone even watch B the Beginning? I haven't heard ANYONE talk about it in the usual anime circles. Probably not the best show to cite as an industry standard.
Yes I did, and I think it's a great show. Feels a lot like Psycho Pass but better.

As for getting rid of OP's I could go either way. With the exception of re watching a few older stand outs like Gankutsuou, Elfen Lied or Gunslinger Girls I usually skip them nowadays. I think some of you are being a bit dramatic referring to OP's as one of the best part of anime or wondering how will they market shows without them, when a trailer can have a similar effect.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Or maybe Netflix could introduce a feature that allows you to turn off the credit skip, so everyone can choose their own viewing experience, rendering an unnecessary move moot?

I would be so on board with that. At the very least it should be in the website settings if not the various apps.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Considering Anime OP's and ED's get millions of views on YouTube, there's streaming services specifically for Anisongs, and Anisongs/Anison artists still crack Japan's top selling music... This guys' prediction is flat out non-sensible. Will they disappear or change for Netflix only productions? Probably. But until production companies (which very often have music companies on them for obvious reasons) completely disappear, OP's and ED's are here to stay indefinitely.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Hell no. OPs are part of what makes anime "anime".
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that needs to change is Netflix and their idiotic everything needs to be binged watched policy along with everything else that is wrong with Netflix cough original series cough.
lucio542

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:47 am Reply with quote
Can you f*cking no?
this is absolutely ridiculous, the most watched videos about anime are about your opennings, only this is almost the most marketing that anime have, and almost all seasons i download more than 5 songs of oppenings.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, Anisong is definitely set out to disappear, it's not like Anime OPs have been consistently ranked among the most popular karaoke songs in Japan for the last 10+ years. That's not even mentioning how much the Anisong industry has grown outside of Japan, with multiple countries holding concerts with various Anisong singers, both in conventions and as independent events. Plus the fact that music producers play a big part in production committees
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Like hell anime openings need to be sacrificed for the future of anime! Anime openings are the very previews that help me judge whether I want to watch something or not! They're fun, catchy, and very much part of the lifeblood of an anime series itself! I honestly hate it whenever Netflix tries to skip over my openings because I LIKE watching them! If anime did that too, I'd be highly annoyed! Don't follow American trends Japan! Keep true to what makes us all fans of anime! LONG LIVE ANIME OPENINGS!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Hell no. OPs are part of what makes anime "anime".

OPs are what will help make some anime titles great again.
psiho66

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeaaa no Anime OP's and ED's are part of the Anime watching experience, also the fact he thinks a single streaming service aka. Netflix will change something which has been a staple in the Anime industry for decades is just crazy talk, if anything streaming services will allow for longer and more creative OP's and ED's.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
I can definitely see his point of view. Even if you're not binging watching something (say because it's airing weekly for instance), when streaming it isn't necessary to stick to the older TV format.
They function differently (it's much easier to skip credits for instance as opposed to broadcast tv for instance), so why follow the same guidelines?
It's odd that so many are acting like the music would disappear in this scenario considering he suggested that opening and ending songs would just shift to being played in the show as insert songs do today.
Regardless of how things may change, it's not like the music companies that are part of production committees are just going to drop their product from the show.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Regardless of how things may change, it's not like the music companies that are part of production committees are just going to drop their product from the show.

If you are a big company promoting a artist, is a all different game if you know that artist will appear in a small insert part that will appear very few times in a anime.

Know that artist will appear every episode in a OP or a ED makes much more sense in a investment. If they reduce or even remove OP and ED from episodes, these companies would invest less or even leave anime all together.

Like others already said, anisongs are big business, with many reaching top places in sales charts. And these anisongs came mostly from OP and ED. I just can't see production committees drooping investment from music companies because of streaming.

Is different when we talk about animation made for American companies like Netflix, because American market are not important for anisongs sales, and also Netflix save money because these companies ask for royalties and also the need for licenses for every market Netflix show that animation.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
If they do this, hown are weebs supposed to discover new music?

Unless they grow out and actively engage in appreciation for the culture and humanity Japanese culture has, they will discover it through the radio. Besides, you're not stereotyping and acting like a jerk hard enough.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Curiously, some early morning shows like Knight in the Area and Saint Seiya Omega actually did the opposite by forgoing the ending sequence, due to the slightly shorter time slot. Thanks to that, the show's general credits and the individual episode credits had to be squeezed into the 100-second opening.

Personally, I prefer the traditional opening/ending format because it gives me two cool songs to listen to every week instead of just one. I mean, I would have loved it if Shoko Nakagawa and Nobuo Yamada had also recorded a new version of the classic Saint Seiya ED "Eien Blue" for Omega in addition to their "Pegasus Fantasy" redo.

Indeed, some shows do it for a variety of reasons though. One Piece doing a long opening and then a long recap was essentially a really obvious way of stretching and adapting as little of the manga as possible in order to avoid catching up to it. There's also budget reasons. Viewtiful Joe was notorious for having such a shoddy, unfinished theme song that took them forever to actually complete. Which is a shame because the song and finished animation are pretty dang good. One of my favorites. But the show itself was so low-budget it was incredible.

Some openings are just really great as standalone pieces. Even if you've never watched Naruto, or even if you hate it, I would find it hard not to appreciate and love the Shippuden opening Silhouette. It's like a work of art and captures the series perfectly. I also love it when OP animation changes to add in new characters or events, it's a nice attention to detail.

-Stuart Smith
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I sent an email to the editors as no sources were listed for this article.

Nearest I could find was the event page at Loft Plus One:

https://www.loft-prj.co.jp/schedule/plusone/94896

and a reference to 学生団体Circle which has a Facebook group.

Theme songs pre-date anime - see https://www.nippon.com/en/in-depth/a04005/

Quote:

In Japan it had been standard practice to release recordings of movie theme songs ever since the commercial success of “Tabi no yokaze” (Night Winds), the theme song from the 1938 film Aizen katsura (Tree of Promises). The composer of “Tabi no yokaze,” Manjōme Tadashi, also wrote “Ringo no uta.”

Anime opening and ending songs are very much part of the fabric of anime, even if (English language) Wikipedia editors seem to have different ideas to me about the noteworthiness of music of anime. Insert songs are a bonus also.

As far as insert songs go, a recent example of how important music was to anime would be the movie Your Name, which carried on having music and animation being in synergy, as had previously happened in Bee Train anime with Yuki Kajiura's music in part driving the animation.

The opening and ending songs are a synergy of the artist / composer / lyricist wanting to deliver the best possible music and the anime production committee wanting the best possible music. As long as that continues we should continue to see great OP and ED songs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5