• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Catherine: Full Body Launches in Japan Next Valentine's Day

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
File this under "something else we don't need" next to all the Persona Dancing games

We don't "need" anything in terms of games. Games are only made for enjoyment, which can be filled with other things, so games aren't necessary in the slightest. What you meant to say is "something else we don't WANT" which even still isn't correct, both this and the Persona Dancing games are something I and plenty of others want. The only statement you could have given that is correct is "Something else that I don't want."

OK, I'll rephrase that just for you. Adding a new girl isn't something the story needs. It's fine as is. Now, we can file this remake under "things we don't need."

Stop talking for everybody, you're talking like the new girl is the only new thing.

What about the new levels? The redone competition mode? The e-sports scene around Catherine?

... Or you know, people who didn't get to enjoy the game, for whatever reasons.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
File this under "something else we don't need" next to all the Persona Dancing games

We don't "need" anything in terms of games. Games are only made for enjoyment, which can be filled with other things, so games aren't necessary in the slightest. What you meant to say is "something else we don't WANT" which even still isn't correct, both this and the Persona Dancing games are something I and plenty of others want. The only statement you could have given that is correct is "Something else that I don't want."

OK, I'll rephrase that just for you. Adding a new girl isn't something the story needs. It's fine as is. Now, we can file this remake under "things we don't need."

Stop talking for everybody, you're talking like the new girl is the only new thing.

What about the new levels? The redone competition mode? The e-sports scene around Catherine?

there's a vocal amount of people who hate Catherine out of principle,and knowing this site,I would get modded for even trying to explain you,but I think you can guess why...
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Cetais wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:

there's a vocal amount of people who hate Catherine out of principle,and knowing this site,I would get modded for even trying to explain you,but I think you can guess why...
I'm definitely one of those people who dislike Catherine, and Persona 3/4/5 for their poor treatment of people in the LGBT+ spectrum; I like my games without transphobia and homophobia.

I did enjoy the gameplay of Catherine a long time ago, I do think there's a place for a remake; especially one were trans characters are treated with respect.

Also, I can't stand people who are talking for everybody; if this game exist there's actually people wanting it. Just because the vocal majority is against it doesn't mean it's everybody.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I never got around to playing Catherine for PS3 so this full body edition is right up my alley especially since I no longer own a PS3. Very Happy
BVerfG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
Cetais wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:

I'm definitely one of those people who dislike Catherine, and Persona 3/4/5 for their poor treatment of people in the LGBT+ spectrum; I like my games without transphobia and homophobia.

I did enjoy the gameplay of Catherine a long time ago, I do think there's a place for a remake; especially one were trans characters are treated with respect.

Also, I can't stand people who are talking for everybody; if this game exist there's actually people wanting it. Just because the vocal majority is against it doesn't mean it's everybody.

I think you really have to squint to find homophobia in Persona 3. Persona 4 can reasonably argued both ways, especially since they took out the Yosuke romantic route which makes it less likely that the game sides with any homophobic comments made by characters.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Definitely buying this. In love with the first game and I really enjoy these quirky Japanese titles that don't get made very often.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
The ONLY thing I'm hoping for is that if the new character, Rin, is indeed trans like the trailers are hinting at, is that their route is treated with as much respect as the other female characters.

....now that I think about the game actually, that seems like bad wording.

I'll even be fine if Vincent had started the game by messing up, and throughout the game you see his growth of accepting them (correct pronouns, no obtrusive body part questions, etc.). I'm just hoping that this team has learned from their awful representation of other members of the LGBTQ+ community. Although Naoto's route is better than the others as far as representation, Kanji is treated with as much tact and subtlety as a hammer through a wall.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Some new tidbits from Famitsu, via Persona Central.
Quote:
-The total number of stages is more than double the previous work, totalling over 500.
-Puzzles can be skipped for people who just want to enjoy the story.
-More than 20 animated cutscenes have been added.
-Catherine’s voice can now be changed. In addition to her original voice actor Miyuki Sawashiro, Mamiko Noto (Fuuka Yamagishi in Persona 3) has been added.
-Including Sawashiro and Noto, there will be 11 selectable voice actors (9 of them being DLC), each with their own distinction and having played an adulterous partner in the past.
-The story adds new scenes that observe Vincent’s past.
-Hashino states that Catherine: Full Body is a complete version of the concept from the previous game, which can be delivered because the sense of values has been diversified since 7 years ago. The existence of Rin, the new character, is someone who makes it possible for others to find new values represented in this game.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
Furuzaki wrote:
They should release the first game on PS4 already... *sigh*

that is exactly the point of this release so no idea what you mean... it is coming so rejoice!

This isn't the same as the PS3 Catherine, it's with more characters and different storyline, right? Feels like a remake rather than a remaster. Or am I missing something here?
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Furuzaki wrote:

The last gen version regularly goes on sale every so often what would be the benefit to doing this !?

Well, last gen (PS3) games don't work on PS4. And I don't own 10+ year old consoles.
So even if I buy a cheap last gen copy of Catherine, I can't play it. Ha ha ha. *sad laugh*
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Furuzaki wrote:
Xristophoros wrote:
Furuzaki wrote:

that is exactly the point of this release so no idea what you mean... it is coming so rejoice!

This isn't the same as the PS3 Catherine, it's with more characters and different storyline, right? Feels like a remake rather than a remaster. Or am I missing something here?

You play Persona 4? I believe its exactly the same as what they did with that. Persona 4 and Persona 4 golden is exactly the same but they added Marie and marie's dungeon + an extended epilogue. its the same exact story as Ps3 catherine with an added story and different endings that involves the new character.
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
BVerfG wrote:
Cetais wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
Cetais wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Chaotic-Overlord wrote:
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:

I think you really have to squint to find homophobia in Persona 3. Persona 4 can reasonably argued both ways, especially since they took out the Yosuke romantic route which makes it less likely that the game sides with any homophobic comments made by characters.
In Persona 3, yeah, you're quite right. It's that one scene at the beach where they talk about chicks with dicks. It's the most "tame" of the whole series.

While Persona 4... The whole Kanji ordeal and the homophobic jokes made for laughs. Naoto could be argue as transphobic, but even then it's really poor taste that her character resolution is just that she can be more feminine.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
While Persona 4... The whole Kanji ordeal and the homophobic jokes made for laughs. Naoto could be argue as transphobic, but even then it's really poor taste that her character resolution is just that she can be more feminine.

I think you're looking at things that aren't there. Kanji and Naoto were never meant to be gay or trans. That was western fandoms and outlets pushing their own head-canon. I thought they were pretty clear about their story arcs in the game, to be honest. Sure, Yosuke makes gay jokes about Kanji, but they're teenagers riffing on each other. That's to be expected.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Some new tidbits from Famitsu, via [url=https://personacentral.com/catherine-full-body-famitsu-details-alternative-voice-actors-...
-Hashino states that Catherine: Full Body is a complete version of the concept from the previous game, which can be delivered because the sense of values has been diversified since 7 years ago. The existence of Rin, the new character, is someone who makes it possible for others to find new values represented in this game.

I'm surprised no one's commented on this yet. Is he saying...trap confirmed?
Still, I'd rather have Erica as a dating option.
Cetais wrote:

Naoto is a girl who feels insecure about herself due to the patriarchy. Her story is about being comfortable with being female and working in a male dominated area. This is literally classic feminism. Same thing with Kanji, just the spear counterpart. Homosexuality is so threatening in Kanji's subconscious because of the patriarchal culture he lives in.
You should examine the text for what it is, not criticize it unfairly for not being what you want it to be.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
So we're getting a new Catherine game that is more adult oriented. So does this mean you get boobies in it?

there is such a thing as "maturity" without nudity, in case you didn't know...

Now I wonder if it's going to be worth getting. We have it but if I check back regarding any extra content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2