• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't There More Video Game-Based Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Star Ocean EX is another adaption that only covered half the game. I liked the way it incorporated all the characters, compared to the game where some of them are exclusive to one another. The manga/anime is the only place you'll see both Ashton and Opera interact with each other.

Except because EX was adapted from a manga that was not based on the game's story, it told its own spin on things. And suffice it to say, neither the manga nor anime were very good. Why was Claude doing pretty much doing all the fighting throughout the story? Why was Air Slash the only Killer Move he used and why did he think every battle could be resolved with just one use of it? Why was Rena made into a weak damsel with no combat ability and why was her backstory completely ruined by saying she was spoiler[a magical priestess that the Ten Wise Men needed for their scheme]?

I just found EX to be a plain horrible mess to be honest. It just wasn't very good. I own the entire DVD series since I gave it a chance and wanted to watch it through to completion, but it just did so much wrong for me that I can't recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

While I'm sure the majority of American AAA gamers don't care about anime or animation in general, when I was in high-school my friend was both an anime fan and played WoW. He actually planned out and imagined what it would be like as a anime. All I remember was it starred a human Paladin and his childhood friend/romance interest a human Priest in Stormwind and basically followed their journey through the game, the first arc being the Defias Brotherhood questline and concluding with some 'epic anime battle' in the Deadmines and then everything beyond that.

Right, that's an example of what I was discussing too.

Quote:
I could see it, but it's pretty much impossible since Blizzard games aren't popular in Japan and World of Warcraft was ever even released there.

That doesn't matter one bit. Remember that animation studios are like contractors. They execute projects they are paid to do. A game studio like Blizzard could simply hire an anime studio to create the show. They don't even have to broadcast it in Japan.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the animes switched from video games to collectable card games. You've got Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Vanguard, Buddyfight, (is Bakugan a card game?), (Same with Yokai Watch, is it a card game?). I've seen plenty of (insert anime title) the collectable card game in my local gaming store over the years. I remember Naruto and Bleach had card promos in Shonen Jump's English version.
Rasparr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I've been thinking it would be neat if the Fire Emblem series could get an anime adaptation or two

THIS. So much. A FE6/7 oder FE9/10 anime would be amazing.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I've been thinking it would be neat if the Fire Emblem series could get an anime adaptation or two; Record of Grancrest War showed what that kind of anime could be like. I doubt it will ever happen, but one can dream i guess.

Yeah, Fire Emblem could be great.

Really hope that Grancrest gets a dub when AoA finally gets around to releasing it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
The Legendary Starfy manga,

Yeah um Starfy is not what I would call a AAA franchise....at least outside of Japan.

OjaruFan2 wrote:

a Jak & Daxter manga (yeah, really),

This one isn't too hard to believe I mean it's not secret that Japan I believe liked some of Sony's Western made franchises like Ratchet & Clank and Sly.

Richmyster84 wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the animes switched from video games to collectable card games. You've got Yu-Gi-Oh,

I'm pretty sure Yu-Gi-Oh started off as manga (which had a much different premise), then I believe became an anime, don't know whether the video games came first or the TCG did.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I'm pretty sure Yu-Gi-Oh started off as manga (which had a much different premise), then I believe became an anime, don't know whether the video games came first or the TCG did.

Yes, it was a manga first, then anime, then video games, then TCG. After the TCG came out there was more anime and game of course. Many of the games were based on the TCG but the first couple were not.

Originally the manga was about all sorts of different games but eventually it settled on "Duel Monsters" and that pretty much became the face of the franchise. There were spinoffs and such too but "Duel Monsters" was the main focus.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

Yes, it was a manga first, then anime, then video games, then TCG. After the TCG came out there was more anime and game of course. Many of the games were based on the TCG but the first couple were not.

I wonder if that's why some of those games had weird stuff like monster typing having more precedent than Atk and Def like the later games.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if it was mentioned but I would say that since game's have come closer to movie quality stories and presentation; movies have moved closer to 90s and early 2000s video game story and presentation. Outside of Marvel, most games are better made than movies nowadays
Why bother adapt quality stories like The Last of Us or Metal Gear Solid when they are already well made?
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:

Why bother adapt quality stories like The Last of Us or Metal Gear Solid when they are already well made?

Easy. Games and anime are not mutually exclusive. Why have one when you can have both? That provides more material for fans who enjoy it, and it (theoretically) makes money.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:

Yeah MGS most.definitely is not known for having a "well done" story largely due to some predictable cliches, heavy handed elements, lots of unnecessary exposition and general weirdness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3