• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Music Producer Predicts the End of the 90 Second Anime Song

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kokushibou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
to keep anime from dying we gotta sacrifice the anime openings?
Wtv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, binge watching will never become the norm. That would mean to ask for a big part of anime fans to just change the way they watch anime for years.
Not like anyone cares about this show in particular. What Netflix will need to do is become more flexible and allow weekly episodes.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
For the love of god, please no.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
flame2frost wrote:
to keep anime from dying we gotta sacrifice the anime openings?
No, to move Anime from TV to streaming, you have to sacrifice the opening.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
My understanding is that the main advantage of an OP/ED is just to have content that doesn't have to be reanimated every week, it fill times but doesn't take work. If they're going to go toward removing them that just mean the anime will become that much shorter, which doesn't really change much in the end.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I could survive fewer EDs, but the entire Ansion industry needs OPs. Why does Streaming require the OP to die off? Streaming as a source has a long way to go if it can't even handle chapters. if I'm marathoning a show I just hit one button to skip an OP/ED. To devastate one of the best parts of the Anime industry to appease binge watching normies really is a loss for everyone. Look at this, he's suggesting shorter OPs, which are consistently the better of the two halves, and making EDs longer. If the total run time remains the same...what's the point?

Can you imagine people int he 80's and 90's speculating on all the things the future will bring.

"Maybe we can have a single button to press to skip OP/EDs?"
"I'm sure that'll happen, but after that I hope for even less content and no OP/EDs entirely!"

Then Netflix will start dumping out 10 episode seasons.

"Isn't it good seasons are shorter?"

Then the Companies will decide, why have multiple versions? If Netflix is footing the bill, why have Japanese audio? All anime should be directly dubbed into English for the widest audience, until of course English is no longer the main international language.

Letting companies rather than fans dictate the industry's direction would be the end.

Also Binge watching is getting more common because its nearly impossible to watch what you want as it airs because there's too much to check out.

Last edited by H. Guderian on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
He's forgot that openings and endings could be used for promotion of anime. There were a few cases when I got my friends interested in anime because of awesome opening (e.g. Death Note, Fate/zero).
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
He's forgot that openings and endings could be used for promotion of anime. There were a few cases when I got my friends interested in anime because of awesome opening (e.g. Death Note, Fate/zero).

Exactly! Openings like Unravel (Tokyo Ghoul) have been monumental in promoting the show. And I just love being able to explore Japanese music through the wide variety of OP and EDs.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I do not agree with his statement, openings and endings are an important aspect to an anime, they're a part of a show's identity, just look at how many time Pokémon's japanese opening has been remixed.
However, his reasoning that insert songs could fill the place could be correct, Devilman Crybaby didn't have an opening but the show's remix of the 70's opening was catchy enough.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe Netflix could introduce a feature that allows you to turn off the credit skip, so everyone can choose their own viewing experience, rendering an unnecessary move moot?

The entire statement is almost as ridiculous as Netflix's prerogative. Given how important and intrinsic OPs and EDs have been to anime, to nix or altering their lengths for one streamer sounds just sounds like a giant overreach. It doesn't sound like something that would catch on with other anime producers and creators, either, unless every anime's going to streamed and bankrolled by Netflix. Binge streaming's a growing thing, but options and a skip button are still things, too…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Openings have always been a good way to promote a title and in their own right they could serve as trailers or advertisements. Considering many titles get multiple openings in a single season I'm actually kind of surprised in this day and age of streaming there isn't MORE use out of anime openings than there already is.

I've noticed Endings still tend to be relatively creative. Many series have small snips or previews at the very end and skipping typically makes you miss these entirely. If there is concern for having to create songs and animation for the Endings and credit segments then I don't see why credits couldn't be overlaid directly onto a particular episode's animation Ending segment itself. That is; instead of dedicated Ending credits and segments just throw your credits and an Ending theme onto the animation as it plays. I can't think of a whole lot of anime where this wouldn't work since most 22+ minute episodes' narratives "end" trailing to the next episode.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Or maybe Netflix could introduce a feature that allows you to turn off the credit skip, so everyone can choose their own viewing experience, rendering an unnecessary move moot?

The entire statement is almost as ridiculous as Netflix's prerogative. Given how important and intrinsic OPs and EDs have been to anime, to nix or altering their lengths for one streamer sounds just sounds like a giant overreach. It doesn't sound like something that would catch on with other anime producers and creators, either, unless every anime's going to streamed and bankrolled by Netflix. Binge streaming's a growing thing, but options and a skip button are still things, too…

That would be nice. It annoys me that after every episode I have to tell it specifically not to skip to the next episode. The pop up offering to skip the opening isn't as annoying since it keeps going if you don't do anything.

I've always viewed the OP and ED as part of the show itself, so I don't skip them by choice. Plus, it's how the people that worked on it get their names out there. Skipping that feels like playing into the idea that it is simply something to be forgotten as soon as it is over. I have a friend that I binge watch shows with, and I have to give him credit for indulging me.

I could potentially see songs getting chopped if Netfilx ends up handling most or all of the cost of production themselves since it obviously isn't that important to them. However, if they are licensing something already produced by a production committee, I can't see record labels being ok with it.
sgtevmckay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Even though I have been "binging" for years, even before Netflix, online streaming, etc. (ie. buy the whole collection, sit down and watch it all) I have and still do enjoy catching the opening and closing music and cred, AT LEAST ONCE! And that is at least once everytime a new opening or closing credits is introduced.
I have fully enjoyed most of the music and looking through the credits for my Voice actors and actresses.
I have also bought soundtrack Tapes/CD's based on the th opening or closing tracks.

Additionally; How many end clips are missed such as Cardcaptor Sakura, when it was not necessarily a preview of the next show, but an information vid based on the current episode. How many of these are being missed (The more you know). Even if it is a preview for the next show, many times you may miss a verbal comedy skit that may be worth watching.

I also believe that sometimes a promo for additional Anime to come could be used in this area.
I present Aa! Megami-sama's bagpipe opening for example. This was delivered in such a way that the viewer becomes excited to see the program and looks forward to more. I submit that Ah! My Goddess may not have as popular if not for the opening production.
https://youtu.be/TZjCVufmctQ
The opening credits set the mood for what was to come.

I also believe that the Opening and/or closing credits presentation can make or break many anime movie and series

So these producers may think that their hard work seems no longer necessary but it really is, and I do not for a moment believe that I am the only one that enjoys these 90-second productions Wink
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I do not agree with his statement, openings and endings are an important aspect to an anime, they're a part of a show's identity, just look at how many time Pokémon's japanese opening has been remixed.
However, his reasoning that insert songs could fill the place could be correct, Devilman Crybaby didn't have an opening but the show's remix of the 70's opening was catchy enough.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, Devilman Crybaby did have an opening.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
No thanks. I think I'll keep my music.

Did anyone even watch B the Beginning? I haven't heard ANYONE talk about it in the usual anime circles. Probably not the best show to cite as an industry standard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5