• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Russian Official Claims Link Between Anime and Child Suicide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grizloy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
ANN isn’t the one at fault here for posting this article. If you think this article will give idiots wrong ideas about anime, then it is the problem of the immaturity of those individuals who are stupid enough to believe those non-sensical Russian statements are real. And also the parents and the system that raised them to be so ignorant.

I'd disagree with you. I'm from Russia, but only "ignorance" in that way I've seen is coming from the old grannies (the same level of nonsense as "those computers corrupt our youth!"). My father was into anime since before I was born (and that was in USSR), I was raised watching the anime, and I know quite a few older people (age 40+), who into anime. Anyone can watch popular anime on TV. And like I said earlier, every country has their share of idiots in government, and blaming the whole society for idiocy those few speaking is just... it's kind of nazism, no?
p.s. And seriously, people who scream about "russian propaganda" - you should less watch TV, from all those news about "bad russians" around 80-90% are fake.
青白

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
Grizloy wrote:
青白 wrote:
ANN isn’t the one at fault here for posting this article. If you think this article will give idiots wrong ideas about anime, then it is the problem of the immaturity of those individuals who are stupid enough to believe those non-sensical Russian statements are real. And also the parents and the system that raised them to be so ignorant.

I'd disagree with you. I'm from Russia, but only "ignorance" in that way I've seen is coming from the old grannies (the same level of nonsense as "those computers corrupt our youth!"). My father was into anime since before I was born (and that was in USSR), I was raised watching the anime, and I know quite a few older people (age 40+), who into anime. Anyone can watch popular anime on TV. And like I said earlier, every country has their share of idiots in government, and blaming the whole society for idiocy those few speaking is just... it's kind of nazism, no?
p.s. And seriously, people who scream about "russian propaganda" - you should less watch TV, from all those news about "bad russians" around 80-90% are fake.

In my statement I never generalized the whole society for idiocy. And I absolutely agree with everything else you said.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
over exposure is dangerous for teens, especially if the show's characters are also teenagers who are "homosexuals, [that] smoke and drink and even cut their veins."

Why is Russia so obsessed with gay people?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
But im sorry animenewsnetwork staff. Any Russian propaganda bullshit shouldn't be on here.

Anime News Network has readers around the world and moves by government entities to restrict or censor access to anime is newsworthy. It is not my intention in publishing the article to legitimize the reasoning behind state-sponsored censorship, but to make readers aware that it is happening potentially within their communities.

Thanks for the support. Although I find the original article so stupid, homophobic and amateur, that no one will take it seriously, I'm seriously worried that someone is trying to hide it as "Russian propaganda".

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Why is Russia so obsessed with gay people?

Russian officials are constantly fighting against "Western cultural influence," and since the LGBT culture is considered a stereotyped Western "subculture" in Russia, any LGBT activity can be associated with the fifth column.

For example, according to the recent extremely delusional "gay propaganda law", if you tell the children that you are gay, this can be regarded as "propaganda of homosexuality among minors" and you will be fined. Really.

Because of this, any licensed shoujo ai in Russia comes out with a restriction of 18+.

reanimator wrote:
Since media is a reflection of society, it's not surprising to see foreign entity like Russia using propaganda to push their agenda on media. Anime & manga is just as vulnerable to influences as other media.

You should read less conspiracy sites and political thrillers, lol. It is extremely foolish to think that some kind of amateur and idiotic article on a local Russian resource was created in order to somehow influence the world anime fandom. It's paranoia.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
You should read less conspiracy sites and political thrillers, lol. It is extremely foolish to think that some kind of amateur and idiotic article on a local Russian resource was created in order to somehow influence the world anime fandom. It's paranoia.

There's this weird widespread racism towards Russians these days it's crazy. I even get called a "Russian bot" on Twitter sometimes. Like, wow, bigoted much?
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
There's this weird widespread racism towards Russians these days it's crazy. I even get called a "Russian bot" on Twitter sometimes. Like, wow, bigoted much?

Yeah, this becomes too convenient an accusation in the absence of real arguments.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Not so weird:
In the wake of the investigations over Trump's '16 election, there's a general net-paranoia that Russian hackers are still trying to "disrupt" the '18 midterms, either to help or hinder the Republican House/Senate candidates, depending on who you ask.
There's already evidence the Russians were trying to spin discussions on easily-influenced Red-state targets like the NRA or conservative think tanks, so on Twitter and forum boards, it's assumed that anyone who's posting the same old bigly-huge-president propaganda and thinks it's working must obviously be a "Russian troll" trying to infiltrate the discussions, and usually doing a very bad and unconvincing job of it.
(We had the same "Trust no one" problem back in the late 90's, when there were reports of Sony paying posters to talk about how great their movies were.)

Maybe 1% of people who get called "Russian trolls" in private net-conversation may actually BE moose-and-squirrel Russian infiltrators, but the idea that they're doing it so unsubtly from a 5,000 mile distance away from the headlines we read makes it hard to keep away from a few smug ethnicist jokes about their, quote, "plots".
For anime fans, the fact that Russia is joining on Japan's "Anime will rot young minds" bandwagons just sort of....ADDS to the goofiness. Laughing
HK16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
An expert at Russia's-

Stopped reading right there. Baka nano? Leave anime out of this. kthxbye.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Some of the more flagrant trollish posts, and responses, have been removed Let's tone it down.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Fifth graders are WAY too young to be watching anime anyway, imho lol.

And on the subject of the cover photo: Angels of Death is absolutely NOT for children.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Live long enough and you will likely have heard similar arguments made against everything from rock and roll music to pet rocks, to pogs and today's favorite whipping boy, social media. I'm pretty sure my someone in grandparents village back in the meiji era said the same thing about electricity, the steam engine and the typewriter.

A great example is the novel Dom Quixote that makes fun of the idea that reading novels might make someone crazy.

It's amazing that many people tend to fear everything that they are not used too. I guess there are two kinds of people: intellectually curious people and not intellectually curious. The second group of people are 80-90% of the population and the people in this group tend to automatically dislike and fear anything that is different from the stuff that they are used too.

Chiibi wrote:
Fifth graders are WAY too young to be watching anime anyway, imho lol.

And on the subject of the cover photo: Angels of Death is absolutely NOT for children.

It's a common issue when dealing with Japanese visual culture that they make a lot of stuff aimed at teenagers/adults that people who are not used to it to automatically think it's made for children. And even their "children" stuff tends to be much more mature than western children's stuff (compare Princess Mononoke to Disney's cartoon).

Chester McCool wrote:
Weird how people seem so focused on Russia, not the report itself. This kind of thinking is everywhere. BBC thinks anime causes pedophilia, Americans think anime causes sexism, violence, and Nazism. Every country has ignorant people.

Worse. Anime is for autists according to BBC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30nfka8J8Y0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Worse. Anime is for autists according to BBC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30nfka8J8Y0

And now a certain poster will try to connect the entire discussion to 80's American cartoons or the US Pokemon and Sailor Moon dubs, and utterly destroy that notion... Laughing

But yes, you can see from the BBC video: There is a direct correlation between the amount of "wacky" Maid-Cafe and Convention Cosplay footage featured in an article, and the amount of "Social fear button" it will try to convey.
And that's just the British, imagine the heads and tails mainstream Russians are trying to make out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3