• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
Season 2's first episode aired today, looks like it's going to be a split-cour between Winter (this season) and Summer 2021.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (Episode 36, Season finale?)

I am a little confused if this is a end of a season, things I am finding elsewhere are saying that something called Slime Diaries will be starting next week, an then more normal anime which might still count as the second season will start after its 12 episode run. No title popped up for the next episode, so I will assume this is a season end.

I was kind of surprised by how dark this season went, Rimuru slaughtered thousands of people, and he seemed hardly to care about it in the face of revenge and getting his friends that were killed back, it was kind of cool and fun to see the good guys of this series slaughter the monster hating humans, there is this certain level of narrative dissonance that does leave a weird after taste. Added onto this is that Rimuru also summoned apparently an incredibly dangerous demon, and a powerful dragon that other parts of the story is saying is a bit of a tyrant.

The parts of the season outside of these things were also lacking, I do kind of hate how it does things like the dwarf city, where some of them don't even look like dwarves, and how it does those elves. The same old cute but I would not say charming enough stuff. It can feel a bit too safe, and not entirely interesting, up until things went dark all these ghastly people, and I would say the enemies just feel like caricatures. My rating for all of this is going to be the same for the first season, a Good (7/10), it has some good stuff, but certainly letting itself down in other places that I am feeling tempted to lower the score.

Outside of what this show actually is, it kind of makes me think of a strange reimagining of this show, like imagine if Rimuru was kind of deluded in seeing things from a rose tinted glasses much like this series is set, but he does not realise how horrifying things are. Such as horrifying idea of his human shape being more realistically depicted with inhuman melting and a visage along the lines of no light behind his eyes, because he is merely taking the shape. That Rimuru's true form could be a horrifying monstrosity instead of a cute ooze. And while Rimuru thinks things are cute humane around him, it is like wishful thinking of the humanity left at his core, where his subjects live in fear and respect for his power, which they see as mercy to them. That there could be a real reason humans would be afraid of the monsters.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like you liked it better than I did. The "dark" part registered exactly the same to me as something like Redo of Healer without the rape or the ability to really laugh at it from the outside. Overpowered good guy effortlessly does terrible things to people, but it's okay because they're cartoonishly evil. I feel like the entire industry has taken a swerve towards celebrating this kind of "let's all cheer the trivially easy killing" thing (Redo of Healer, Slimey, and Spidey this season, Overlord a while back, Moriarty).

Of course, when I think about how popular Marvel movies are, maybe it's just another of those broad cultural trends that's going to leave me behind. I guess I like my characters to be on their back foot, because when an overpowered protagonist wipes the floor with someone, I just register it as the author bullying people. (Shows like Death Note and Code Geass showed that just because your main character is a superpowered mass murderer, the show doesn't have to be a one-sided beating of antagonists)
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I liked this show a lot and will continue to look forward to more whatever it is, the Slime Diaries or movies or another season.

I may be alone, but I wasn't displeased with Rimuru going all out against the army that was coming to finish off his village, especially with the motivation to become a demon lord being a reason to bring his friends back to life. It seemed like a normal and logical response. I like the character Diablo being added as well. I was liking the interactions with Rimuru and the Words of the World as well.

Anyway, I'll give this a very good.
Schlompnoodle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:08 am Reply with quote
Forgive me if this was discussed elsewhere. Who the hell is that annoyed looking blonde elf with the braided chignon in season 2's OP? Did I somehow miss that character?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Schlompnoodle wrote:
Forgive me if this was discussed elsewhere. Who the hell is that annoyed looking blonde elf with the braided chignon in season 2's OP? Did I somehow miss that character?

I don't think that she's been revealed yet. This was only the first half of the second season, the second half will be starting in July, so we may see her then.
Schlompnoodle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope so, this series sorely needs elves.

As for OPs and EDs, I like it when a series adds characters to them after they have been introduced. Back Arrow has been doing that.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote
They've done that before, featuring a character or two in the OP that doesn't show up until the next cour/season. I forget who now... Maybe Milim?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Part 2 (TV 3), Episode 11 (Episode 47)

Man that is a confusing way to what episode it is, because it is technically a part 2 to the second season, and kind of practically a 3rd season itself, which started up right after the spinoff that was between the two parts.

Anyway, the season has had a lot of talking early on, but really looking forward to the meeting of the demon lords, which the last couple of episodes went into. And it was this episode that took me by surprise, or really I must not have been paying attention well enough. The surprise twist of Milim being made a puppet of Clayman, acting as his ace in the hole for controlling the game, turned out that she had been pretending the whole time to being controlled, even when he did things like beat her up thinking she was a mindless doll.

Really kind of hilarious in hindsight, that Milim defies what others might think, and out manipulated the manipulator. It is also good as the fact the evidence was there, as Raphael even said she wasn't under a spell, and chanced are there were times that she showed some emotion that there was more to it. The demon lord she supposedly killed was alive too, being the obvious in plain sight lion guy, which should have been the clue when Raphael noted that there was something with him. The writing should have been on the wall, but still really enjoyable to have seen Clayman be soundly embarassed beyond just Rimuru. Also, been rather enjoyable to have reached this long awaited parts with the other demon lords.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:33 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Part 2 (TV 3), Episode 12 (Episode 48, Season finale)

Alright, season over, and it says that it is to be continued, and checking the news seems to a movie next year, granted the tv series just did a continuous 36 week release including the spinoff, it has felt like a bit of a fixture for 2021.

Anyway, I left off talking about part 1 of season 2, talking about a number of ideas of how the series could be different, and I think that I thought of the second season more favourably, at least tonally, except for maybe what felt like the beginning of part 2 was a lot of talking. Well, technically the season also ended with a bunch of people talking around a table, but I think that I felt more favourably of it being the tough demon lords, while we got a number of surprise twists. It really feels like the spinoff took all the silly slice of life stuff that I don't like too much in this series, and was a lot more serious.

I don't know, in line with how I rated the other seasons, I will give it Good (7/10), as I do think it is worth watching, but also felt like it was worth going through the earlier stuff that was testing me a bit. Although, not quite as much that I would super hype it up that I would try to convince someone if they were getting bored that they have to force their way through to get something great. There were some cool fights, following the build up that the earlier parts of the season pointed to, so that's a plus.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Ehhh.... They spend so many episodes building up to this Demon Lord meeting where Rimuru will finally meet face to face with Clayman. Clayman, this evil mastermind, has supposedly been behind all kinds of stuff that has happened so far. But then Clayman gets reduced to this weak, arrogant imbecile. It's so lame maaaan.

Slime has just become so weird. Like I think during the early parts of season 2 part 1 the dwarf king dude called Rimuru naive and then a few episodes later Rimuru kills like 20 thousand people without batting an eye and the show doesn't consider this a shift in Rimuru's character. He plans to violently overthrow a government and earlier this season I think he did some kind of censorship campaign to cover up all the killing he did. Oops, Shion tortured captured baddies until they died horribly, haha silly Shion. But at the same time the show is still doing the same goofy stuff it was doing in the first season.

I'll probably watch more of our friendly, goofy, heroic and genocidal maniac slime. I'm rooting for Hinata to put him down.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, making a comment about the first episodes of new seasons for both Slime and Mahouka and seeing that the previous seasons aired several years ago makes clear how fast time goes....

Anyhow, existential dread aside, the first episode of the third Slime season provided a relatively calm episode to get back into the flow of things. We saw the aftermath of the Walpurgis and the Falmuth Kingdom was dealt with thanks to Diablo. It was nice seeing that kingdom getting brought to its knees. Judging from the OP it seems like the churchs gang is going to be the main opponent this season.

Solid first episode.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:02 am Reply with quote
This is one case where I appreciated the recap. I always hate them in the midseason, and I usually find the first season episodes of My Hero Academia annoying, but I needed a refresher course.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:31 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Judging from the OP it seems like the churchs gang is going to be the main opponent this season.

Solid first episode.

This cour anyway, rematch with whats-her-grumpyface lady knight. Even though I've done a rewatch in the past year, some of the names just slip away.

Sometimes I wonder why Rimuru feels so comfortable scolding his "friends" that are technically stronger than he is. I guess he just knows who he's dealing with, but still. Veldora really could destroy everything around him instantly.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hmm, the OP clearly shows a fight with the church gang yet right now things seem to be at relative peace. It makes sense though, the duo of official demon lord Rimuru and dragon lord Veldora plus all their forces is not something you take on without going all in, that goes for the clowns (I forgot how strong Laplace is), the church nation and that human kingdom. That said, given the smirk I am unsure about the kingdom not starting shit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3