• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Colors Look Different In Remastered Classic Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
When Saint Seiya got that terrible upscale for the BD release, what bothered me even more than the DNR and the outline-darkening filter was the fact that they didn't bother color-correcting the first 28 episodes or so, which are filled with green skies that are obviously not supposed to look like that, especially if you compare them to the original cels or even the broadcast masters.

Toei's terrible, they didn't fix Saint Seiya's color tint yet they kinda did for Slam Dunk's upscale (sadly the screencaps are gone) and yet for Sailor Moon's upscale, they didn't bother fixing the red tint that was present on the season 1 DVDs.

Then you look at the new DBZ movie remasters and they're also inconsistent.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
I think one of the most notable (in a good way) BD releases was Bandai's Macross DYRL boxset. I have several copies of this movie, from Clash of the bionoids, to the LD. Regardless of medium the movie is always very dark.. then the Blu-Ray hits and all the dark colors are popping everywhere. One of the first times I really took notice is in the very beginning when Hikaru,Max, and Kakazaki, where getting ready to launch.. the colors identifying each valkyrie, Red, Blue, and Green jumped right out at you.. very different from my other copies.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Eh.....This is wrong. "Correct" is very simply however the artist intended it to be. You correctly state later that they might not remember how they wanted it to be, but I also think you underestimate people's memory when it comes to stuff like this.

Which artist, exactly? The contractor-for-hire to who painted a cel? The character designer who gave material to the animator to work from? The director, who was the one who sat with the color timing machine to tweak things when it was all said and done?

But more importantly, I think the point is that even if you did have a "correct" copy somewhere it would never look that same way again. After all the film was shot the director and colorist sit in front of the color timer and set the color correction. Suppose we call that "correct". However, that's not an actual print yet. That's just a projector with some colored filters in it. The film gets sent off with the punchtape for the color correction and the film gets printed to make a master. That master does not match what the director & colorist just saw in front of them because now the film grain from the print changes, and every copy farther down the chain (i.e. a copy made for a theater or a VHS tape, LD, etc) would look different too. Even if you took the same exact master film and watched it in three different theaters it would look different because the projectors and rooms are slightly different. One might call the first color-corrected print on film to be "correct", but that's a moot point since it would look different every time it was viewed.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Fascinating stuff. I've only read bits and pieces about filmmaking, but it's interesting to hear more firsthand experience with these matters.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Yep, that's what I meant. I was under the impression that PAL generally can show a wider variety of color more distinctly than NTSC, but I'm not entirely certain about how. I was curious if that affected their authoring process in some unique way, what with the materials coming from a place meant to broadcast in NTSC.
The PAL DVDs I have of Gunbuster 2: Diebuster used an NTSC source and look similar color-wise to the Bandai Visual USA DVDs.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Now I'm curious what sort of wrinkles related to color could come up after converting into PAL.

Not a lot, actually; the underlying colour models are virtually identical [theoretical "green" is slightly different?]. Ultimately these were designed to be shown on CRTs, you're limited by the colours of the phosphor chemicals you could run up, and these were the same for PAL and NTSC tubes. For complex reasons [noise and rounding errors], small colour-space differences are harder to manage than large ones; in my job in printing you get a better result by just ignoring small differences than trying to correct for them, and filmmakers are a lot less careful about this than we are.

Although I do remember that Madman had problems with colour-space issues on a Ghibli DVD once... Spirited Away I think, they got masters that were colour-space ballanced for a different sort of projector that had a different white-point...

The differences between PAL and NTSC basically only matter in broadcast situations. [colour is represented by phase difference; certain broadcast conditions lead to a constant phase shift between the sub-carriers which means a colour shift. The PAL signal is formulated in a way that lets this shift be detected and corrected with circuitry, and NTSC isn't and it needs to be corrected manually]
MrBonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
Broadcast TV shows during the analog era were, for the most part, not susceptible to these issues because of SMPTE bars and tone. When a production company would produce a TV series or similar programming they would apply SMPTE to it that would allow a station to sync up their equipment to whatever was sent to them. For the most part unless someone was asleep at their job - possibly not surprising if you had to work the late shift prior to AIR programming going off the air to bars and tone for the night - the major discrepancies were in the TV set & cables themselves the viewer possessed. It's for the most part that if you ask someone how they viewed Cheers or Different Strokes or The Facts of Life it was probably very similar because there was a defined "standard" being sent out by the stations.

Anime in Japan also being NTSC likely had some sort of similar standards to sync to when syndicated at home, however for the US market most all anime productions were never in their original pass or generation. A good deal of anime appeared on the West coast on local stations prior to blocks like Cartoon Network and the syndications & stations used to be doc'ed in the early 90s in Animerica (if I dug out my old boxes of Animerica I could probably jot down exactly what was shown...). Those stations likely couldn't rely on SMPTE for the programs because they already received a pass through a color timer. Most of what those stations were showing were probably already available copies of various anime.

Even some recent anime has it's own pass issues. Prior to the era of modern streaming services and simulcasts many fan sub groups pulled their video direct from Japanese TV broadcasts and would subsequently time, subtitle, and then re-encoded. Even in HD formats incoming anime roughly ~10 years ago was susceptible to grain and issues with color. If you watched a ripped version of say Bakuman or KissXSis (trying to think of circa 2010 shows...) then they would likely have noticeable variances even in a DVD release. Nowadays with digital signals most everything is 100% produced and sent out digitally so discrepancies are only going to exist when the subsequent BD release is touched up and altered (a whole different topic entirely).

Working with older SMPTE is pretty nice though and interesting if anything from a time capsule perspective [I get paid to work with older historical analog formats and put them into digital forms. Literally all eight hours a work day I have some old analog format playing and being encoded to something modern].

While the content being broadcast was all made sure to be timed up the same, color wise. Very few people watching cable TV broadcasts probably had color calibrated CRTs so you could see things accurately.

That's still true today, however it's easier than ever to calibrate a display and more accessible. (And trust met once you've calibrated your displays you can't go back. It's great to know what you are seeing is at least somewhat accurate) It's still ridiculous that overscan is enabled by default on modern displays and TV broadcasts and console games still have to account for them.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This was very interesting and informative.

Never The Same Color.... bhahahahahahah that's hilarious lmao
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
I really need to look at the Outlaw Star BD! Love that show. Any new Extras in that release?

And yeah. GSC is one of my favorites. I did the Kickstarter, probably like you did.

If you love the show, definitely get it, it's a fantastic remaster!
I think the little Pilot video is a new extra, since I think the DVDs only had the textless opening and closing plus some image galleries.

The extras on the blu-ray are: Pilot Video, Trailer, Commercial Collection, Textless Opening and Closing Songs.

Would have been cool if they'd included some of the Toonami ads stuff as extras.
Yup, looking forward to those Kickstarter rewards Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3