• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix Announces Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
So does that mean Nickelodeons license to the Avatar series has expired or what?
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:
Hopefully, it's better than the joke of a movie by M. Night Shyamalan..

Bryan and Mike's involvement gives me some hope. From CBR:
Quote:
“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast,” declared DiMartino and Konietzko in a written statement following the announcement.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Legend of Korra that aired from 2012 to 2014 and again made waves for pushing the boundaries of LGBT representation in a television show aimed at children.

It had two seconds of hand holding, at the very butt-end of the show, between two female characters that had little personal interaction with one another. I'd hardly call that "making waves" but whatever.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
First off I'd agree. That was making waves? That's like saying someone was brave for shouting something just as they are closing the door on the way out, or just as the elevator doors closed. What're the people offended going to do? Demand it get canceled? Demand it move to streaming only?

Anyways I was once a long time ago an Avatar hater, then i actually watched it. Pretty good show overall. However the original creators were also on board for the sequel series that was a mixed bag at best. I'm actually not confident in their writing anymore. Perhaps I encountered them too much and figured out their crutches?

It would be nice to see them polish up parts that were not as tight in Avatar, but I feel it'll be visually unimpressive and unexpressive.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh joy, another gritty live-action reimagining of a cartoon. Because that always works out great. I don't understand who they make these things for... people who only watch live action, to help cement their belief that animation sucks?

The whole whitewashing scandal was only part of the problem with that infamous movie adaptation; the more fundamental issue is that the whole concept is too fantastical to work in live-action. Martial-arts-elemental-telekinesis can look cool in animation, but if it looks too "real" it just ends up looking silly and, ironically, unrealistic.

Even if I'm wrong, and this does end up being good, I don't see the point. The original series is only 10 years old, complete and self-contained, and still pretty popular. Is Neftlix already falling into the Hollywood pattern of remaking things that were perfectly fine to begin with, just because it's a safe way to make money?
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Quote:
The Legend of Korra that aired from 2012 to 2014 and again made waves for pushing the boundaries of LGBT representation in a television show aimed at children.

It had two seconds of hand holding, at the very butt-end of the show, between two female characters that had little personal interaction with one another. I'd hardly call that "making waves" but whatever.

You forget how the creators had to clarify that yes, these two characters were totally in a relationship after the show had ended! Because that's how good representation works!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this. Avatar was great, I've heard phenomenal things about the comics that take place after the series, Korra was a misstep. A live-action adaptation isn't going to make ATLA better, and let's face it: the creative team doesn't have a stellar track record.

Being better than Shyamalan is not a particularly high bar to clear.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Nope. I can't stand by this one. The only hope I have is that since my expectations are so low that I won't be disappointed but even then, nobody asked for this. I see no room for improvement over the original series so remaking it into live-action won't add anything except a bunch of CG that's almost guaranteed to age poorly. I would have rather have seen these resources being put toward another animated Avatar series.
matt78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this. Avatar was great, I've heard phenomenal things about the comics that take place after the series, Korra was a misstep. A live-action adaptation isn't going to make ATLA better, and let's face it: the creative team doesn't have a stellar track record.

If the comics are as great as you said then they should just animate those instead of remaking the original in live action. They only way I see this working is if it is a 3rd series set in the avatar world that has nothing to do with the previous series.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
So does that mean Nickelodeons license to the Avatar series has expired or what?

Nickelodeon's Twitter account suggests that this is a partnership
https://twitter.com/Nickelodeon/status/1042081984544161798
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I mean, it'd be hard to be worse than the Shyamalan movie, so they can only go up from there! Unless Tommy Wiseau is directing and writing it or something (which would at least still make an interesting result, that's for certain). But it's not like that's actually a challenge (or something to be proud of...)

Instead of having this stupid live action show, I'd rather have Netflix turn the comic books into more seasons of animated goodness. The show is meant to be best in animated form, in my opinion, and I'd rather have more of that then retreading old ground. You can buy the series in Walmart for under $27 on DVD ($35 on bluray), it's not like it's difficult to find so that a remake would be at all necessary...

Of course, this is Netflix they, uh, tend to approve a lot of things
Also, no 3D! Seriously! No! Never!

Last edited by zawa113 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
How is this related to Anime?

Have you never watched the series and never took notice of its artistic style? Because it’s heavily inspired by Japanese animation.
Ethe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
There are certain stories that just don't translate well into live-action. A:TLA is one of them. Even with Bryke as members of the staff, this isn't gonna work.

Part of the beauty of Avatar came from the fact that it was animated. Animation has a certain charm and allows for certain artistic liberties that simply cannot be recreated in other mediums. They can try to re-imagine the show as much as they want, but the sad truth is they aren't going to succeed.

Of course, I'll still watch it. I am a slave to this franchise after all. Heck, I even read those god-awful comics by Gene Yang, so I have no reason to skip this. Besides, Jeremy Zuckerman is going to be a part of this, and I can't wait to see what new music he has in store for us.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:

Nickelodeon's Twitter account suggests that this is a partnership
https://twitter.com/Nickelodeon/status/1042081984544161798

Okay thanks for the info Wink
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Please no, I would like it more if they make another Avatar cartoon. I want my Earth bender Avatar
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:

If the comics are as great as you said then they should just animate those instead of remaking the original in live action.

From what I’ve heard the comics are strictly YMMV and given how divisive all the animated Avatar series are that’s not exactly guaranteed quality right there.

matt78 wrote:

They only way I see this working is if it is a 3rd series set in the avatar world that has nothing to do with the previous series.

Then people would accuse it of being a knock-off.

kotomikun wrote:

Even if I'm wrong, and this does end up being good, I don't see the point. The original series is only 10 years old, complete and self-contained, and still pretty popular. Is Neftlix already falling into the Hollywood pattern of remaking things that were perfectly fine to begin with, just because it's a safe way to make money?

Yeah there’s no “safe” way to make money in tv & film since any productions has the potential to go belly up especially when it comes to adaptations and remakes.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4