• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix Announces Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
So does that mean Nickelodeons license to the Avatar series has expired or what?

Viacom who own Nickelodeon owns the Avatar: The Last Airbender I.P they created the show it was never licenced.

What is happening is that Viacom will produce a live action TV show that Netflix will pay for and own global streaming distribution rights to for ever.

Viacom and it's subsidiaries are just contractors and IP licensors for this.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:
Hopefully, it's better than the joke of a movie by M. Night Shyamalan..

Well, it was only the "Bleak and depressing" part that was Shyamalan's fault--
The "Incoherently confusing" part was Paramount's, after MNS made a 2-1/2 hour epic, and Paramount chopped it down to 90 minutes to keep their Nickelodeon-friendly "kiddy" audience happy.

(For example:
In the cartoon, the girl and her brother find Aang and his yak in the ice, and when revived, Aang still thinks he's fighting his last battle and tries to attack them. They see his powers, talk him down, and they all take his flying yak back to the village.
In Paramount's cut of the Shyamalan movie, we see a big dramatic shot of Aang and his yak in the ice, and in the next scene, Aang is already thawed out, back in the village, getting dressed and saying "Sorry for what happened back there." Uh, yeah, just exactly what DID happen?? Confused )
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
-SP- wrote:
How is this related to Anime?

Have you never watched the series and never took notice of its artistic style? Because it’s heavily inspired by Japanese animation.

"Anime" typically refers to Japanese animation, Chinese animated shows are closer to Anime but people still don't consider it as Anime. Why do you think Avatar doesn't show up on any Japanese Anime database, or even MAL.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This is a whole lotta 'nope' from me.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised by the overwhelming objection to this adaption, considering the original creators are back and show how invested and excited they are about this project, but I suppose I shouldn't be considering this site is full of animation fans.
I for one am always eager to see fantasy depicted in live-action, and it being one of my favorite series just makes me even more excited. I was even a bit intrigued by Shyamalan's version, and knowing the creator's dedication to detail, this can only get much much better from there.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm cautiously optimistic about this project. Only time will tell, but I always hope these types of ventures work out well because it means another iteration of something I enjoy.

As for everyone saying "this isn't anime," that depends on how malleable vs. rigid your definition. There are many co-produced animations these days between Japan and other countries (China, France), so I don't see much of a difference in Avatar: The Last Airbender and say, My Hero Academia, which takes significant influence from Western superhero aesthetics.
ChrisA15

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh god no, I am getting flashbacks to the movie. That was a crime against humanity that should never be repeated.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I'm surprised by the overwhelming objection to this adaption, considering the original creators are back and show how invested and excited they are about this project,

Well between the shakiness of the Live Action movie and the shakiness of the original TV show (and it's sequel) on top of the usual complaints towards live action adaptations that's good chunk of the reason for the strong opposition towards this.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I'm surprised by the overwhelming objection to this adaption, considering the original creators are back and show how invested and excited they are about this project, but I suppose I shouldn't be considering this site is full of animation fans.
I for one am always eager to see fantasy depicted in live-action, and it being one of my favorite series just makes me even more excited. I was even a bit intrigued by Shyamalan's version, and knowing the creator's dedication to detail, this can only get much much better from there.

On the one hand, Avatar seems like a story that's not really well tailored to a live-action approach the way something like Monster would be. On the other hand, the uniformly excellent Ace Attorney movie proved that sometimes miracles do happen, so.... Laughing
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
When will people learn 2D animation does not translate to live action 3D very well and look no further than the Disney live action remakes for proof of this they try to make them as accurate to the original source material as possible (by which I mean the aesthetics and not the plot) yet no matter how hard Disney tries their remakes always end up sucking when compared to the original source that said remake is based off of.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
I guess it's cool that they're gonna be much more faithful to the cartoon, but... why live action? The cartoon was already as complex, deep and charming as any live-action television series can hope to be and more. There are just some things that work better in animation than in live action.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
NOT AGAIN!!!!!
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Please no, I would like it more if they make another Avatar cartoon. I want my Earth bender Avatar

With the original writers returning for this, we might get one
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:41 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
matt78 wrote:

If the comics are as great as you said then they should just animate those instead of remaking the original in live action.

From what I’ve heard the comics are strictly YMMV and given how divisive all the animated Avatar series are that’s not exactly guaranteed quality right there.

The stuff written by Gene Luan Yang is pretty good and feels like a natural continuation of the series. Haven't read the third volume yet, but Turf War for Korra by the creators is similarly good.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
I have to agree, I too have my doubts. To me, part of the appeal of the Avatar series was the fact it was animated. Because there is some things that animation can express that Live-Action cannot. For instance, the comedy and the goofy expressions.

All in all, let them try. Good or Bad, it's not going to get me to subscribe to Netflix. I personally think they're getting too big for their pants.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4