• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Maine Pastors Attempt to Remove My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness Manga from Library D

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
"I didn't know they'd tell everyone I was a jerk!"
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"children should not be subjected to early sexualization"

Rich, coming from a Church.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Don't show them an antique sculpture and classical painting, lol.

Last edited by #HayamiLover on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
"I didn't know they'd tell everyone I was a jerk!"

Alternately, "I didn't want my intolerance and homophobia to be known to the public, where I'd be held accountable! No, I only wanted to force an independent institution to kowtow to my personal beliefs!"

Seriously. Bravo to the library and everyone who stood in support of their decision on the display. Contesting banned books is already ludicrous enough, but I will NEVER understand the hypocrisy of anyone who shouts, "over-sexualization!" and "think of the children!" only when it comes to queer representation, yet those same individuals are conspicuously silent when heterosexual romance is represented in all forms of media, including sexual content. There will always be subjects and material that should be curbed for children of a certain age, but I see zero connection between an explicit sexual situation and the mere acknowledgement of anyone who is not straight.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
"children should not be subjected to early sexualization"

Rich, coming from a Church.

Agreed, the irony is astounding. If anyone wanted to ban books based on principle, such as violent or sexual content, rape, slavery, and so on then the Bible would be the first to go.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
@Ashen Phoenix heterosexual content doesn't play a special role. In my country, conservatives oppose ANY sexual education, because in their opinion it contributes to early pregnancy and debauchery. Crazy reactionaries are afraid of the very sexuality, regardless of orientation.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Love that the display did manage to get 105 people in the community to go and participate in dealings with their local library. I wish ever library could generate such support in their community.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
@Ashen Phoenix heterosexual content doesn't play a special role. In my country, conservatives oppose ANY sexual education, because in their opinion it contributes to early pregnancy and debauchery. Crazy reactionaries are afraid of the very sexuality, regardless of orientation.

Do they object to men and women kissing in public or holding hands? Because even that's too far for American conservatives when it comes to homosexuality. Even acknowledging the existence of gay people is seen as an attack on "traditional" society.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I consider myself to be very conservative. That doesn't mean I don't see the great irony in a church wanting to remove books from a library due to "objectionable content". And I certainly have no problem with that manga being on library shelves. Does the US Declaration of Independence not clearly state that "All men are created equal"? That clearly does not discriminate based on race, sexual orientation, religious belief, or anything else for that matter.

I don't see how you can glean anyone's personal views from any post thus far. When I wrote that I consider myself very conservative did you assume that means I am religious? I'm not. People shouldn't be so quick to throw around labels when they don't know the details of the situation.

Last edited by Shiflan on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, another example of the wannabe American Taliban in action.

Acceptance of homosexuality is not 'far-left politics', it's being a decent human being who doesn't live in the dark ages.

It's an excellent manga too.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maine Pastors Attempt to Remove My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness Manga from Library Display

And while spewing their bigoted opprobrium, the pastors didn't even have the self-awareness to make a "horny on Maine" joke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheValkyrieAsh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
People like these pastors will continue to keep harassing others until someone actually steps up and permanently puts them in their place. If your religious "Rights" block the rights of others to be happy then you don't have religious "rights."
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm sure this is just pastors expressing their "free speech" or exercising their deeply held beliefs...

...right?!
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Oh, I'm sure this is just pastors expressing their "free speech" or exercising their deeply held beliefs...

...right?!

I think a more appropriate one is "Just because you have freedom of speech doesn't mean someone has to give you a platform" At least, that's the excuse people are doing for Amazon banning books from their store right now, and that Alex Jones thing.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Do they object to men and women kissing in public or holding hands? Because even that's too far for American conservatives when it comes to homosexuality. Even acknowledging the existence of gay people is seen as an attack on "traditional" society.

In my country, any openly expressing same-sex romantic or sesual affection is equivalent to open political protest, in view of which homosexual couples are almost removed from public life. Of course, Russian culture is rather liberal to intimacy in female friendship or excessively cheesey male relationships, but in Russia even liberals are embarrassed by the LGBT movement, because it is considered "very controversial".

So, it's just a miracle that this manga was licensed in Russia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4