• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll's Ellation Plans to Expand Original IP Beyond Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah except everyone in Atlanta had a pedigree beyond a failed Nickelodeon pilot and tanking Hellcat.

What? Atlanta not only scored FX one of their most popular comedies of all time, they are also critically acclaimed with season 1 and 2 scoring over 90% on rotten tomatoes.

Exactly. Atlanta has actual talent.
Kai99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Kai99 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah except everyone in Atlanta had a pedigree beyond a failed Nickelodeon pilot and tanking Hellcat.

What? Atlanta not only scored FX one of their most popular comedies of all time, they are also critically acclaimed with season 1 and 2 scoring over 90% on rotten tomatoes.

Exactly. Atlanta has actual talent.

Depends on what you mean by talent. The director of Atlanta was new and never did a television show before, and even he said he wouldn't have given himself a tv show based on his background credentials alone. Some of the black writers were new to the industry as well and Glover said they jump on it with the mindset of "this just might fail, but we are going to do what we want regardless." Your assuming too much about the people behind the show. That may just be very good at their jobs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Whatever. I unsubscribed to vrv the moment they announced high guardian spice. You can kick one 26 year old off the list.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
mad_yeti wrote:
It's not catering to your tastes? Cool. You've got lots of other options. Watch something else from the tidal wave of other content already on there.

While I can see where this is coming from, we also have to keep in mind a big draw for the preview guide and weekly reviews here is seeing the ANN staff tear apart shows they and the posters clearly dislke, so it seems a bit hypocritical to go with this mindset.

-Stuart Smith
neph909

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
why is this on a anime site like ann? western cartoons have there own sites for stuff like this. dont care about the politics behind it, still looks ugly. i've always heard all this anti-piracy talk and that we should support the industry. then they pull this crap. had they given these funds to a studio i cared about in japan this wouldnt be a problem for me. time for them to stop with the guilt trip about piracy, because they dont care about supporting the industry. i buy my dvd's, blu-rays, and merch and will never resub to CR again.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I honestly completely understand the frustration that the money spent on Crunchyroll is going towards an American show when they're told it's to support the anime industry, I would have no beef with High Guardian Spice whatsoever if it was just a VRV thing.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I honestly completely understand the frustration that the money spent on Crunchyroll is going towards an American show when they're told it's to support the anime industry, I would have no beef with High Guardian Spice whatsoever if it was just a VRV thing.

I take it you don't have the faintest clue how Crunchyroll works? Their money goes to the anime industry when they license a show, and then they turn around and charge us more than they spend to create this thing called profit. Now they're turning around and spending that profit (their money, not ours) on... a western style cartoon.

Now, I do happen to think a western style cartoon is a damned silly thing for them to spend their money on... But I'm not so stupid and clueless as to believe they took money from us under false pretenses.
teferi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

I take it you don't have the faintest clue how Crunchyroll works? Their money goes to the anime industry when they license a show, and then they turn around and charge us more than they spend to create this thing called profit. Now they're turning around and spending that profit (their money, not ours) on... a western style cartoon.

Now, I do happen to think a western style cartoon is a damned silly thing for them to spend their money on... But I'm not so stupid and clueless as to believe they took money from us under false pretenses.

Is it really that unreasonable to wish that their first IP would be more similar to the shows they've been licensing for years? I mean Netflix can do Castlevania what was stopping CR from doing something that doesn't look like it belongs on Cartoon Network?

Quote:
It'd be cool if people on the internet stopped slamming things before they exist. Let them try to do the thing.
It's not catering to your tastes? Cool. You've got lots of other options. Watch something else from the tidal wave of other content already on there.
They're successfully catering to this paid subscriber, so they're doing something right.

Please. One look at the promotional art and it's pretty obvious that we'll all forget about this show after it finishes and hope CR learns from its mistakes.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
This is all educated guessing on my part, but I get the impression that the creators were put in a tough situation by management. They clearly didn't have much completed animation to show off, which isn't their fault since this seems to be very early in production. But the bosses wanted to start building hype for the show early, so they ordered a trailer for the series even though there was hardly any completed content. So we got a trailer about the production instead, because that's all they COULD show us at this stage.

Thing is, they wouldn't have to show us much of anything. I would think they would at least have a storyboard down. Some sort of general plotline beyond "highschool girls in a magical world, and also it's a bit weird." I know in writing, you generally want to "show, don't tell," but if you have nothing to show, then tell, or don't make the trailer at all because at this point I don't know if it's going to be Cal-Arts style Strike Witches, Little Witch Academia, or something completely different.

Plus, you would think people would have learned by now that building hype early is a great first step towards failure, with No Man's Sky being probably the best recent example.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is trying to get their own thing going because tying your business to someone else's product is a scary thing. I have to imagine recent fiascoes in regards to anime production - or just anime staff being shitty people - spooked them. I can't imagine Crunchyroll woke up, read the MMO Junkie Director's insane bullshit, and felt good about a show they pushed quite a bit that was cute and nice on its own merits suddenly being tied up with "Shithead is a shithead about shithead things."

Amusingly, he's now trying to smear CR by saying they steal money, with no proof or anything, and people are buying it because it's cool to hate CR now for making a show? Or, from another angle:

Quote:
Is it really that unreasonable to wish that their first IP would be more similar to the shows they've been licensing for years?

Those shows are still there. They will keep being made. There's just now 39 shows catered to you, and 1 show to other people, instead of 40 shows. It's good when more people like things, and it's okay for some things to be not to your taste.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Did they say anything else, like the characters' personalities or a bit of their histories?

Um... they're magical girls? *shrugs* I don't think they were all that interested in talking about that aspect of the show.

Lyrai wrote:
Amusingly, he's now trying to smear CR by saying they steal money, with no proof or anything, and people are buying it because it's cool to hate CR now for making a show?

To be fair, CR started doing it first, and they're still attacking other Japanese animators like Jun Arai who fail to fall in line and dares criticize them. They even went so far as to get his Twitter shut down. CR attacking Japanese animators is probably the exact opposite of what people want. An anime licensing company smearing and attacking actual Japanese animators is probably a pretty stupid move.

I think it's more likely they realized Japan is never going to make the 'diverse' stuff they want, so they're going to do it themselves. Makes you wonder if they'll ever take it a step further and refuse to stream shows they disagree with in the future.
neph909

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
why would i support a show that isnt for me? why would i support a company that doesnt have my interest in mind? i dont need a company to try and guilt trip me into subbing. i support my shows, my studios, and artists. so its time for them to just stop with it... they wanna do there little cartoon, thats fine, but they need to shut up about piracy already. pretty much what im saying is people dont need to support CR to support the industry, thats just a simple fact. i watch anime, thats pretty simple too. and yes i understand how EXCLUSIVE licensing works too. its a bad practice for the customer.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
To be fair, CR started doing it first, and they're still attacking other Japanese animators like Jun Arai who fail to fall in line and dares criticize them. They even went so far as to get his Twitter shut down.

Do you have screenshots of this maybe? I didn't hear about it when it happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Those shows are still there. They will keep being made. There's just now 39 shows catered to you, and 1 show to other people, instead of 40 shows. It's good when more people like things, and it's okay for some things to be not to your taste.

There are other platforms for shows like this. If CR really needed shows like this they could've already been licensing them.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 am Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, and "Hellcat" didn't exactly tank either. Marvel doesn't track the sales numbers for anything that isn't a floppy (because why bother keeping track of digital sales and TPB sales, which have been a growing market since Marvel started pursuing them?). It's done phenomenally with kids and women--as have all of Leth's other works, like her two Adventure Time comics (Seeing Red and Bitter Sweets). You know, the kind of people that a) don't normally buy comics from the direct market, and b) don't have some kind of axe to grind against Kate Leth.

Arguing that HGS is gonna suck because Kate wrote a few Hellcat comics you didn't like is like me arguing that Shotaro Ishinomori was a hack because Kamen Rider Amazon got cut short.

But I digress.

I'm excited for Crunchyroll's new stuff. They already do business with a good chunk of the industry, and if their stuff works well enough as a platform Crunchyroll might become an attractive option for smaller studios in Japan as a distributor. Sure, it'll take ages before they have the kind of money Netflix throws around to make a thing like Devilman Crybaby, but they had to start with Knights of Cidonia before they got Seven Deadly Sins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4