• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll's Ellation Plans to Expand Original IP Beyond Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
All I can say is that Crunchyroll is making their bed and when the time comes they’re going to have to lie in it so whether HGS succeeds or fails is entirely on them and no one else.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Yeah, and "Hellcat" didn't exactly tank either. Marvel doesn't track the sales numbers for anything that isn't a floppy (because why bother keeping track of digital sales and TPB sales, which have been a growing market since Marvel started pursuing them?).

Because digital and TPB don't make up that much sales? Only about 9% of the industry last year was digital, and most of the TPB market are made up of manga, so it's horribly unreliable given we never get actual numbers. Sorry, but if you're really going to try to spin this person is some successful comic writer, you'll have to provide some actual evidence rather than conspiracy theories that Marvel is purposely keeping her down. The evidence we do have shows her series suffered an 81% drop in sales over a year.

Quote:
It's done phenomenally with kids and women--as have all of Leth's other works, like her two Adventure Time comics (Seeing Red and Bitter Sweets). You know, the kind of people that a) don't normally buy comics from the direct market, and b) don't have some kind of axe to grind against Kate Leth.

Citation needed.

Quote:
Sure, it'll take ages before they have the kind of money Netflix throws around to make a thing like Devilman Crybaby, but they had to start with Knights of Cidonia before they got Seven Deadly Sins.

Netflix didn't make those shows. Don't let their 'Netflix original' tag fool you. They just licensed them. If Crunchyroll uses their money to fund a cool obscure anime adaption of a manga, then sure, that'd be cool. But something tells me that's not the direction they're going for, even if this succeeds. Especially if this succeeds.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

I don't get how they came to the conclusion that this is what CR's subscribers are interested in. If you look at their features on the most popular shows in the US/EU none of them are remotely like this. It makes no sense that they went from having multiple seasons just dominated by shows like Attack on Titan and decided that for their first original IP they need a cutesy fantasy series sold on the sexual orientation/gender of its staff/cast/characters.

Yeah, exactly. It's always long-running anime based on shounen manga that has the most views. And sometimes LN adaptations as long as they are fantasy/sci-fi/harem, like SAO, Isekai Maou, Re:Zero etc. and sports anime (Free!, Kurobasu etc.). Shows with an all-female cast never make it to the top!
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
I cannot believe Crunchyroll is still going with this. My problem with this "anime" is not with the all-female creators/characters. The art is just so terrible and uninspiring to have it view as an anime. It is like DeviantArt and Tumblr had a collaboration and produced this. This should have been categorized as a cartoon. Honestly, this whole "putting diversity/political stuff into things" thing is getting annoying. I love when animation media, anime and cartoon, were all about art and story. This "anime" is not going to win anything if they are just doing it for the sake of diversity, which is not going to cover it for its generic design and premise.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

Yeah, exactly. It's always long-running anime based on shounen manga that has the most views. And sometimes LN adaptations as long as they are fantasy/sci-fi/harem, like SAO, Isekai Maou, Re:Zero etc. and sports anime (Free!, Kurobasu etc.). Shows with an all-female cast never make it to the top!

Madoka Magica and Keijo!!!!!!!! were very popular and have a all-female cast.

Chester McCool wrote:

Netflix didn't make those shows. Don't let their 'Netflix original' tag fool you. They just licensed them. If Crunchyroll uses their money to fund a cool obscure anime adaption of a manga, then sure, that'd be cool. But something tells me that's not the direction they're going for, even if this succeeds. Especially if this succeeds.

Devilman Crybaby, B: The Beginning, A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-, Sword Gai, are made because Netflix pay the bills. If not, they probably would never be made because the Japanese producers wouldn't get enough support been financial backing or audience support.

For the originals future, Cannon Busters is a American cartoon Netflix will make in Japan in studio Satelight.

From the interview Kun Gao give to Variety:
Quote:
But while Japanese anime has turned Crunchyroll into a niche streaming success story, it has also limited the type of stories shown on the service. “Anime continues to be a domestic product for Japan,” Gao said. Japanese animators produce their shows first and foremost for Japanese audiences, addressing Japanese sensibilities.

At the same time, Gao and his team started to notice a growing group of fans on its service who were honing their own animation skills. “We are seeing creators who grew up on our platform,” he said. Now, the company wants to give some of those new voices a forum by producing their shows for a worldwide audience. Said Gao: “Their perspective is a more global perspective.”

From what i understand what they want is address all those fans that wanted anime to go for a more mainstream global audience and complain that Japan don't make the anime they want to see and the mainstream audience that don't really care about anime but like American cartoons

Because anime is and will be made with the Japanese audience in mind, they think only appealing to a niche audience that are fan of Japanese anime, would limit the sucess of Crunchyroll.

So they decided that if they don't get that kind of anime from Japan, they needed to make those animations for global mainstream audiences themselves.

From that, this means Crunchyroll will make this anime inspired animations to appeal to a different audience and grow.

The promotion of the HSG was a PR disaster but that don't means that Ellation, the parent company of Crunchyroll will stop trying to make American cartoons and have more people on Crunchyroll. And is not worth trying to complain to Crunchyroll. The one pushing for this are most probably AT&T and Ellation.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
At this point I wonder if it’s even worth covering Ellation. It’s not like we cover Netflix’s non-anime programming. There’s no articles about Luke Cage or Bojack Horseman because as good as both of those shows are, they aren’t anime. It’s clear one of the strategies in place is the old “No publicity is bad publicity” adage and that our constant arguing keeps the show fresh in our minds to build hype for something Nickelodeon rightfully rejected.

To that end, unless Elation actually, you know, gets an honest to God manga adaptation or something from Japanese directors and writers and not the troll hair brigade here, the staff, respectfully, should just ignore it.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Sherris wrote:

Devilman Crybaby, B: The Beginning, A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-, Sword Gai, are made because Netflix pay the bills. If not, they probably would never be made because the Japanese producers wouldn't get enough support been financial backing or audience support.

For the originals future, Cannon Busters is a American cartoon Netflix will make in Japan in studio Satelight.

I would scratch Devilman Crybaby off that list. It's an Aniplex produced showed of Kodansha owned IP. If you look at the production credits on ANN you only see Aniplex along with Dynamic Planning. At the Devilman Crybaby events in Japan, it was Aniplex that was hosting and not Netflix. I'm sure it would have gotten made without Netflix license money as it's part of Go Nagai's 50 year anniversary, like the new Cutie Honey Universe, which is part of Sentai's catalog and not Netflix for that title. The couple others would be real originals as they aren't adaptations, while the rest of 99% of Netflix so called "original" anime are mere licenses. Variety reports that about 80% of Netflix content is licensed i.e. shopped around third party produced shows, despite them slapping the misleading "original" label on it. It's not like they go to a studio and say "Here our script, we want you to make this".

I mean Knights of Sidonia was Netflix's first "original" anime (despite being yet another Kodansha owned adaptation) and yet what they got was literally the beta version. Ultimately Sentai got the real version.

Something like HGS really would be and IMO can only be considered a "original" as it is in house production for Ellation's own studio.

Beatdigga wrote:
At this point I wonder if it’s even worth covering Ellation. It’s not like we cover Netflix’s non-anime programming. There’s no articles about Luke Cage or Bojack Horseman because as good as both of those shows are, they aren’t anime. It’s clear one of the strategies in place is the old “No publicity is bad publicity” adage and that our constant arguing keeps the show fresh in our minds to build hype for something Nickelodeon rightfully rejected.

To that end, unless Elation actually, you know, gets an honest to God manga adaptation or something from Japanese directors and writers and not the troll hair brigade here, the staff, respectfully, should just ignore it.

There is an unfortunate relationship between Ellation, VRV and CR. Even though HGS is not anime related they chose CR as the platform. We don't know yet if all the Ellation original IP will be on CR and promoted via CR or if it'll be separated onto VRV.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
There’s tons of anime on platforms with dedicated sections but the website doesn’t cover everything else from said platforms. This should be ignored the same way they ignore The Dragon Prince or Daredevil or whatever. It’s not anime, there’s no need to talk about it, and there’s no need to give it publicity. It can rot in whatever obscure CR originals section it has in June or whenever.

That being said, if we got a proper anime from them, whether it be Japanese directors and writers or an adaptation or a manga, that’s a different story. Till then they don’t deserve the publicity and we don’t need to act as free advertising arguing about it.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
The blithering madman has returned!

This is not an anime. This is not how you make an OEL anime. The older fauxanime from back in the day that tried to be anime was more anime than this. Avatar and Oban helped established something than.... well, this.

And we all thought those series were bad. An example of two steps back.

And considering the wild frontier of OEL anime, "WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, WE GOT FUN N' GAMES"
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Berman also noted in the interview that the median age of VRV users is 26.
Will they be making any shows for 26 year old viewers?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
I bet Japan is laughing hard at Crunchyroll's original "anime" right now.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Madoka Magica and Keijo!!!!!!!! were very popular and have a all-female cast.

Madoka is not available in my region, so I wouldn't know how popular it was with Crunchyroll subscribers.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm still baffled that High Guardian Spice isn't being called out for the blatant RWBY ripoff that it clearly is. Rolling Eyes
LetMeLive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Both AniList and MAL don't have HGS listed.

While I disagree with MAL's policy on strictly JAPANESE ANIMATION (and not having the ability to search everything in english), that show isn't anime. It is cal-art, and it is awful.

I'll just stick to my FUNimation subscription, and if things get really bad, I'll just buy the collectors edition of shows I think truly deserve my money and then pirate everything else. (Yes, I've pirated stuff, really appreciated it, and then went and ordered the blu ray/collectors edition. I've spent more on anime in one year than I have on most other forms of entertainment in the past 10, so I try to support the industry if they are putting out quality products).
Mertal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
This will go the way of all politically oriented shows. All they will concern themselves is pushing their narrative as much as possible at the expense of quality storytelling, production, animation and decent character development.

All to an audience that just want one thing: to watch Anime and read the manga they love legally.

This will not end well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4