• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Announces Fate/Apocrypha Blu-ray Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, it's nice that they're finally moving on from singles or half-sets.

On the other, that is still a detrimental price point for half the series apiece. You can buy video game consoles for that much.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
At least they cost some 60 dollars less than the Unlimited Blade Works boxsets... Still on the high end of price but no longer absurdly so. Also in before the haters, it's still the second best Fate anime.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
At least they cost some 60 dollars less than the Unlimited Blade Works boxsets... Still on the high end of price but no longer absurdly so. Also in before the haters, it's still the second best Fate anime.

If you're trying to tell me Apocrypha was better than UBW, I got a bridge to sell you.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
If you're trying to tell me Apocrypha was better than UBW, I got a bridge to sell you.

It actually was. Do I need to pull up the reviews here from 2015 to show why? But in short, I rather have something that embraces the action spectacle side of the franchise in all it's silliness and fun than something that mistakes itself for being deep like UBW thought it was with the whole Shirou vs Archer conflict. Now the Heaven's Feel movies might be better but the jury is still out on them until they've finished.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Zeino wrote:

In my opinion most Fate series are better than Apocrypha. Zeino's wording seems hostile and almost as if he's trying to start an argument, it's basically saying "anyone that dislikes Apoc is automatically written off as a "hater" and my opinion on this series is the correct one". But maybe I'm reading way too much into it.

Great if you love Apocrypha. I was personally dissapointed with it however. I know that Fate anime can have better art and animation, even the studio deen anime did. Seig has to be one of my least favorite protagonists in honestly anything. The plot and writing was often messy and in some ways it was very incoherent.

There's s lot of reasons why I don't like Apoc and I could go into further detail, but bottom line is that I enjoy a lot of things about the Fate universe and wouldn't call myself a hater, I'm simply a disappointed fan that really wanted to like or even love Apoc.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Zeino wrote:

In my opinion most Fate series are better than Apocrypha. Zeino's wording seems hostile and almost as if he's trying to start an argument, it's basically saying "anyone that dislikes Apoc is automatically written off as a "hater" and my opinion on this series is the correct one". But maybe I'm reading way too much into it.

Great if you love Apocrypha. I was personally dissapointed with it however. I know that Fate anime can have better art and animation, even the studio deen anime did. Seig has to be one of my least favorite protagonists in honestly anything. The plot and writing was often messy and in some ways it was very incoherent.

There's s lot of reasons why I don't like Apoc and I could go into further detail, but bottom line is that I enjoy a lot of things about the Fate universe and wouldn't call myself a hater, I'm simply a disappointed fan that really wanted to like or even love Apoc.

I don’t particular think that was Zeino’s angle. I happen to agree with him. I don’t particularly think it was better than UBW, but it deserves a good third place spot in my opinion. It contains some of the coolest fights in the fate series.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I know that Fate anime can have better art and animation, even the studio deen anime did.

Is this bait?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
^Probably not, but it does illustrate a not uncommon view, both generally and with regard to Apocrypha specifically. One that I disagree with, but one that is genuinely held nonetheless. About Apocrypha not being animated well that is, not sure about the part about the Deen one being better. Ultimately, it seems to me that it comes down to whether one values ambition or consistency most in animation. Even these more technical aspects like animation are subjective like any other aspect, as much as we'd like to think otherwise.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I'll pick those up at that price point.

I like Apocrypha a lot, but I hated how many key character moments and how many explanations the anime cut. On the other hand, some (but definitely not all) of the fight scenes were quite well done. Considering that Apocrypha has the best fight scenes of the Fate novel series (Urobuchi's purple prose in Zero drags horribly, while Sakurai and Narita tend to skip a lot of the blow-by-blow, and Sanda's Case Files just doesn't have that many), that counts for a lot.

I would probably lean more toward picking it up if the effects and choreography on the Dracula fight had been better and the final Jack fight hadn't been so heavily truncated.
professorwho

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Apocrypha is a train-wreck. Best animated entry (yes, ufotable fanboys, your beloved studio uses digital crap to cover up the lack of animation), but horrible story- just like every fate entry besides Zero. And I'm a guy who hates Urobuchi- Zero was probably his only good work in his career.

This seems to be a clone of the JP release. That had 5 BD-25s which is 3 BD-50s here, with identical artwork between the sets.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Apocrypha is a train-wreck. Best animated entry (yes, ufotable fanboys, your beloved studio uses digital crap to cover up the lack of animation), but horrible story- just like every fate entry besides Zero. And I'm a guy who hates Urobuchi- Zero was probably his only good work in his career.

While Ufotable does tend more towards consistency than ambition with the animation, this supposed lack of animation is overstated. There is some great work in the Heaven's Feel movie and Today's Menu for the Emiya Family, and even UBW. Even without that, there is something to be said for their skill in combining 3D and traditionally drawn animation, where many productions fail to convincingly integrate those elements.

I will respectfully disagree on the story, of Apocrypha and the others. People can be so quick to jump to the most negative terms, to train-wreck, garbage, trash, to the point that the terms start to lose their meaning, beyond "I didn't like that." While I'm not about to say this has the best story in the Fate franchise, it is far from a train-wreck. I say that not just as a fan of the series, but also as one who has watched most of the Chaos Dragons and Hand Shakers of the past few years and some of the contenders for worst ever.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Do I need to pull up the reviews here from 2015 to show why?

your best argument are those shitposting reviews? wew lad
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Is this bait?

You have to come in a fate thread with the assumption that everything is a bait.
HK16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Now I'll finally be able to watch it next year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1