• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Times Western Music Invaded Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:43 am Reply with quote
Gankutsuou had theme songs from Jean-Jacques Burnel of the Stranglers.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
Ah, The Light Before We Land is stunning, and I really fell in love with the The Delgados off the back of watching Gunslinger Girl. I even tried to recruit Emma Pollock to headline a wacky little music festival I was curating, but sadly her agent mucked me around so much in the end I saw my arse and signed Joe Gideon and The Shark instead. Ho-hum. BoA was also a fab find, and that whole album, The Race of a Thousand Camels, is glorious. Didn't know they had a connection to Paul Rogers, though! Have to admit that Ergo Proxy even helped me briefly get into Radiohead, over whom I've always felt a bit lukewarm, though can't really put my finger one why.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Not exactly my (or anyone's) favorite artist, but Maison Ikkoku had that one episode that used Gilbert O'Sullivan songs for the opening and ending, going back in the following episodes to the previous opening and ending. I'm pretty sure those songs didn't make non-Japanese releases.

https://youtu.be/98SXXjbuvuQ?t=287

IIRC, one of the show's sponsors was releasing the songs in Japan, so wanted to promote the songs, and that's why those were put into the show. (After all, anime shows are used to sell CDs.)
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
Never_Know_Best wrote:
My personal favorite is “Shiver” by Lucy Rose, the beguiling opening to Mushishi’s second season, Mushishi Zoku-Shou.

On first listen, it might just seem like a random folk song about wistful longing, but it’s actually quite fitting: It took nearly a decade for the manga’s second half to receive the same lavish animated treatment as the first. Set to wintry imagery (contrasted with the first season’s real-world photographs of lush vegetation), it’s as if director Nagahama and crew are inviting us to “shiver like we used to” after a long time apart, to feel the series’ gamut of emotions and experiences once more.

How could I not remember that when I checked the list. That song is fantastic.

I don't know if it counts in the same way, but wasn't the guitars from the opening of Bodacious Space Pirates done by Marty Friedman of Megadeth fame?
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
How about Classical Music?

Mahler's 8th Symphony in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Very Happy

Northlander wrote:
I don't know if it counts in the same way, but wasn't the guitars from the opening of Bodacious Space Pirates done by Marty Friedman of Megadeth fame?

Doesn't Marty Friedman live in Japan these days?
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Not exactly my (or anyone's) favorite artist, but Maison Ikkoku had that one episode that used Gilbert O'Sullivan songs for the opening and ending, going back in the following episodes to the previous opening and ending. I'm pretty sure those songs didn't make non-Japanese releases.

Yes indeed, they used 'Alone Again' which was absolutely spot on lyrically for the series.

Another Western song used in anime was The Light before we land by The Delgados in Gunslinger Girl
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The Ray Charles version of "I Can't Stop Loving You" was used at the end of the anime movie Metropolis.

Oh wow, how'd I forget that one? That scene was devastating.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:

Also it fun to tell people "Did you know Avril Lavigne once did a cover of a Nickleback song for a One Piece movie?"!

That might be why no one talks about it.

Edit: someone already mentioned Dvorak in One Piece.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Doesn't Marty Friedman live in Japan these days?

Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Friedman#In_Japan_and_recent_work

Like KISS, he has also worked with Momoiro Clover Z and performs in the OP for the recent Sailor Moon Crystal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-30SCRuk5_o
professorwho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Tetsujin 28 (2004)

In Episode 13, I believe, David Bowie's song "Space Oddity" played. But this was only used in the Japanese and British releases. Even the eventual Japanese Blu-ray upscale release cut the song due to copyright reasons.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
yeah, marty friedman doing tracks for anime isn't a big deal anymore. he's pretty much a go-to session artist in Japan these days

Duvet was such a good song. I've never listened to any of their other songs... i wonder if they're as good.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Loved Ergo Proxy. Always good to see it show up.

Kruszer wrote:
B: the Beginning's ending theme might also qualify.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't count it was a good ED, and worked well in the trailers too.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
L/R: Licensed by Royalty had "Go Where No Ones Gone Before" by Billy Preston (one of the many aka "The Fifth Beatle") for its OP. Western music is also a bit more "invasive" in this anime, chock full of other Beatles references, from the main and some side characters' names to paraphrased quotes in the dialog.

Oh yeah! I remember this. Good stuff.

Hellsoldier wrote:
I would like to mention that the Hellsing TV anime had the Mr. Big song Shine, I think.

I really loved that song for the ED theme for Hellsing TV.
BenFotomi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

I would like to mention that the Hellsing TV anime had the Mr. Big song Shine, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S70krAJ09fk

Yup, that one and Ergo Proxy are my memorable ones!
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:10 am Reply with quote
>"recommend shoujo to manga readers"
>Looks at first place
>oh!! t's Nozaki-kun!!
>.....
>??????????????
>Bunny.exe has stopped working

I think this list is perfect in all with Western music but I-... what- Nozaki-kun isn't even romance, nor a shoujo manga. The start of the series even had the genres of comedy and aimed for the male audience. C'mon, ANN. You're the anime/manga news source. This site should know on what is the right genre for each anime/manga.

Before anyone tells me how wrong and tell me to "chill" (which is fine depending on words) but how can you not blame a site that is KNOWN for genres, categories, animation studios, and publishers. It's like going to blockbuster and ask for an action movie and you end up with a movie that is a drama + not one single action scene.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
The Ray Charles version of "I Can't Stop Loving You" was used at the end of the anime movie Metropolis.

Oh wow, how'd I forget that one? That scene was devastating.

Of course, being a Rintaro movie, it would have had that much more impact if we knew what the heck was going on... Confused
"Oh no, they detonated the Ray Charles bomb!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4