• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ulysses, Goblin Slayer, Senran Kagura, Radiant Anime to Fall Season Dub Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lycopene

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
#854626 wrote:
Any of you feel like funi is biting more then they can chew? Like when they changed maiyuri in steins gate. That was the worse btw. Stiens gates dub is pretty critically acclaimed. That's really jarring to switch such an A rank voice for a character. Also I hate how I hear the same 5 voice actors every anime. I know that's always been there but its been like 3 times as bad since the simuldubbing.Honestly, if dubsare gonna survive the next couple decades, there needs to be day 1 simuldubbing like space dandy. Then dubs will be more popular then subs again like in the 90's.

Yes, I think they could be maybe 5-6 simuldubs each season. This potentially can help devote the resources to lessening the delays on home video box-sets. As far as hearing the same voices, this also happens a lot in even the subbed shows.

They have had delays long before simuldubs started, so its clear that when shows are getting dubbed is not the problem
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Here's hoping for the final 4-6 show batch (maybe more? One can dream) to be the following:

Index

ReRided

Zombieland (this could potentially be a really good sleeper hit)

Conception

Tsurune

Karakuri circus

I'm fine waiting a couple of months if that's what it takes for fairy tail and to have more fall simuldubs.
just dont wait a year to give us the dub

Karakuri Circus is an Amazon exclusive, and Tsurune is apparently licensed by Ponycan USA.

Fair enough about karakuri but I'm pretty sure it's just pony canyon for tsurune and not pony canyon USA
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
#854626 wrote:
Any of you feel like funi is biting more then they can chew? Like when they changed maiyuri in steins gate. That was the worse btw. Stiens gates dub is pretty critically acclaimed. That's really jarring to switch such an A rank voice for a character. Also I hate how I hear the same 5 voice actors every anime. I know that's always been there but its been like 3 times as bad since the simuldubbing.Honestly, if dubsare gonna survive the next couple decades, there needs to be day 1 simuldubbing like space dandy. Then dubs will be more popular then subs again like in the 90's.

Yes, I think they could be maybe 5-6 simuldubs each season. This potentially can help devote the resources to lessening the delays on home video box-sets. As far as hearing the same voices, this also happens a lot in even the subbed shows.

They have had delays long before simuldubs started, so its clear that when shows are getting dubbed is not the problem

Exactly those delays are usually at Japans request to prevent reverse importing since they charge an arm and a leg for the blu Ray's in Japan so Funimation is usually at the publishers mercy when they can release it
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
immblueversion wrote:
Levonr wrote:
Cool, but I'm hoping for A Certain Magical Index S3 and Fairy Tail 2018.

I'm not sure about how the simuldub process works, but I don't think they can do a simuldub for Fairy Tail's final season without replacing some of their lead roles like Todd or Cherami, who've been doing work for other studios besides Funimation.

Why wouldn't they be available? They've both been in simdubs the past couple of seasons (Cherami is in Steins;Gate 0 and Todd was in TG Re:), besides there's a program (forgot what its called) that lets them record from LA and IIRC Todd has his own studio so he can just record his stuff and send it if he's not in Texas.

Yep. Caitlyn Glass posted a video of her recording on Garo Vanishing Line with Cherami on the other end in LA. It's gotten to the point where they can still have the director in Texas and the actor and maybe an engineer on the other end.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
The licensing of Radiant really makes me happy. It’s a fun take on shonen manga from a French creator and I cannot wait to see how the anime adaptation is handled. I wish more of these sorts of manga were given a chance to shine through anime adaptations too.

Goblin Slayer and Senran Kagura also receiving simuldubs is quite cool. I’m definitely going to be interested in hearing how all of these turn out!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I often watch Funi Alex Moore on her Twitch (alexmooreactor) and more than once have commented I want to hear her in anime where she is the lead character. I am hoping this season has that work out for her. A reason for this is I am of the view that every VA should get at least 1-2 lead characters during their voice acting tenure.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
immblueversion wrote:
Levonr wrote:
Cool, but I'm hoping for A Certain Magical Index S3 and Fairy Tail 2018.

I'm not sure about how the simuldub process works, but I don't think they can do a simuldub for Fairy Tail's final season without replacing some of their lead roles like Todd or Cherami, who've been doing work for other studios besides Funimation.

Why wouldn't they be available? They've both been in simdubs the past couple of seasons (Cherami is in Steins;Gate 0 and Todd was in TG Re:), besides there's a program (forgot what its called) that lets them record from LA and IIRC Todd has his own studio so he can just record his stuff and send it if he's not in Texas.

Yep. Caitlyn Glass posted a video of her recording on Garo Vanishing Line with Cherami on the other end in LA. It's gotten to the point where they can still have the director in Texas and the actor and maybe an engineer on the other end.

Cherami plays Suzuha and Suzuha's daughter in "Steins;Gate Zero". Being that Suzuha is in every episode, it is been shown that the L.A. and Funi crew can work together. While I know Cherami most likely will want to reprise her role of Lucy Heartfilia for the upcoming "Fairy Tail" season, I am not sure it will get simuldubbed as this FT season will likely be 50+ epi. long.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Cherami plays Suzuha and Suzuha's daughter in "Steins;Gate Zero". Being that Suzuha is in every episode, it is been shown that the L.A. and Funi crew can work together. While I know Cherami most likely will want to reprise her role of Lucy Heartfilia for the upcoming "Fairy Tail" season, I am not sure it will get simuldubbed as this FT season will likely be 50+ epi. long.

If they can do Black Clover and MHA, they can do FT
Vizo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Alright! I'm glad they're dubbing the slime anime and goblin slayer. Those are two new shows I was definitely going to check out. Radiant is a surprise. I may check it out too.
Now all I need is Fairy Tail and Index, which should be likely.Wink
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
They just announced Fairy Tail on their Twitter. Whether or not they'll be simuldubbing it or merely simulcasting it is at this point unknown.

EDIT: I take that back. Just moments after I posted, Funimation listed it among their simuldubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2