• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Battle For (and Against) 'Bowsette' Legitimacy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One Twitter user, inspired by Peachette from New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe...

Toadette*
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
So mangaka can't do fanart without permission? That's sad. Japan, get some fair use laws. Also, Nintendo had no comment about this trend.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I...I can’t believe this meme has gotten to this point in such a short amount of time. Fans can really be determined when they want to be. It was already detailed in “This Week in Games” why legitimizing Bowsette isn’t so easy though and I can definitely understand the concerns when it comes to copyright and the freedom to make fanart :/

I’m curious about what Mishima said though. Do mangakas really have to be careful of what fanart they choose to make public? I can understand NSFW art, but they really need all that permission to just participate in a trend? I know Japan has different and stricter copyright laws and also putting the business’ reputation and image first amongst other things, but wow :0
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Quote:
One Twitter user, inspired by Peachette from New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe...

Toadette*

Peachette is Toadette in Peach's form. That's why someone asked, "If it happened to Toadette, why not Bowser?"
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
huh well that escalated quickly seems like an understatement.
I hope this make bowsette official thing was started as a joke and continues to be so.
Mind you i don't really care if it was real or not but IF Nintendo were to acknowledge it there would be no direction for them to go in without severe backlash.
Acknowledging it 'exists' rather than making it 'canon' would be a much more reasonable direction. Maybe just give him a palette swap that resembles the fanart and pass it off as a plausible coincidence.
TunaMayo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I think it's common sense for Nintendo as a brand and company to remain silent on this particular issue for now.
It might seem like a no-fun-allowed attitude, but highly I doubt legitimizing Bowsette's overtly sexual context in a lot of the fanart produced so far is conducive to the company's future plans and image of the Mario franchise. spoiler[As another example, look at Nintendo's lawsuit with MariKar. When people drive around the streets of Tokyo dressed as their characters causing a ruckus, I can't blame Nintendo for wanting to protect their image.] Some memes are harmless for them to run with (Waluigi). This is not one of them.

Calls for Bowsette to become canon remind me of children trying to gauge an adult's reaction to the new naughty words they learned on the school playground. It's a type of juvenile fun pranksters pull that's tricky to deal with.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Fanart is fine, but begging a company to make something canon just seems really sad. Play Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, or Metroid if you want big anime Nintendo boobies. Mario characters were never attractive to me.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I...I can’t believe this meme has gotten to this point in such a short amount of time. Fans can really be determined when they want to be. It was already detailed in “This Week in Games” why legitimizing Bowsette isn’t so easy though and I can definitely understand the concerns when it comes to copyright and the freedom to make fanart :/

I’m curious about what Mishima said though. Do mangakas really have to be careful of what fanart they choose to make public? I can understand NSFW art, but they really need all that permission to just participate in a trend? I know Japan has different and stricter copyright laws and also putting the business’ reputation and image first amongst other things, but wow :0

It's a case by case thing; fan art has actually always been a legal grey area, it's just that most companies and rights holders don't really care. I think Mishima is just playing careful a lot of mangaka like Kotoyama, Yuusuke Murata, and even Rei Hiroe have made their own renditions of Bowsette.

Anyway, this is getting a bit out of hand now. It's a fine meme, it's actually really funny and creative, but at the end of the day it's just a fan thing. Let it stay that way.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Fanart is fine, but begging a company to make something canon just seems really sad. Play Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, or Metroid if you want big anime Nintendo boobies. Mario characters were never attractive to me.

Meh, none of those games have Bowsette.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo is doing the smart thing by keeping quiet about the whole Bowsette situation. Also Nintendo should not under any circumstances make Bowsette canon not only because of the massive legal troubles involved but also because as the old saying goes give a fan an inch and they’ll take a mile in other words fans will demand Nintendo to canonize every Nintendo fan creation under the sun.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo is not the type of company to do what the fans want.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I seriously hope nobody actually thinks Nintendo is going to officially endorse any fan character, much less one so heavily associated with sexuality.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

Xenoblade and Fire Emblem yeah, but Metroid? Wtf?
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
- The fanart thing isn't precisely a legal issue between the mangaka and the thing they want to do a fanart of, it's that fans might think of the mangaka's social media pages as official publications of the series. It's that, a large group of fans sort of see a manga artist's page as "official", even if it's not.

The mangaka of Black Butler, Yana Toboso, does a ton of fanart, and even contributed to the official anthologies for Touken Ranbu and Valvrave, even though established artists don't do that so often (I think?). But she probably has to at least get her editor's approval before doing it, she can probably only post things that her publisher (SquareEnix) has a good relationship with, or ones that her editor and the rest of GFantasy's staff feel would fit well, or something.

. . . . . the real issue, though? They should make a sexy boy meme. It shouldn't always be sexy girls... or, someone should do a fanart of a character like Nagisa from Free! in a sort-of Bowsette-cosplay, to even out the meme.
feitan000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
Murata deletes his fan art after Mashima's tweet
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2