• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Fall 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Man I'm sad that Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara gets close to no love.

Judging from the synopsis & the staff lineup it should end up being a mixture of Nagi no Asukara meets Tsuki Ga Kirei with a bit of Maquia sprinkled in there.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Shock! A yuri anime of the non sexual predator kind where male character are present. The things people come up with nowaday. Lauren write up made it sounds like romance wasn't really going to be involved, or at least never addressed.

There's definitely romance, it just takes a while to build up (hence the title).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Most of these don't interest me, minus maybe "Bloom Into You", and...they're still dragging out Sword Art Online? Rolling Eyes
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I am honestly more excited about the second half of Attack on Titan S3 than any of the upcoming shows. If I have to choose something new it is Bloom Into You because I want to see a good yuri show. This is the least excited I have felt about a Fall season.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I*m going to call it for

- Karakuri Circus

Robots from a machaievellian circus out to assasinate a young heir to a multi million fortune and a fight to overturn a age old curse!

Manga has 15 million copies in print!

(My 1 concern - its 22 tankobon volumes in total in to 36 episodes - is this going to be the complete thing or as they going to stop somewhere along the way as it sounds like a lot of material to cover in 36 eps)

- Iroduki Sekai no ashita kara

A young mage is sent back in time to present day Nagasaki to learn what it means to live from a younger verison of her aunt.

The art looks gorgeous and it's set in Nagasaki where I did study abroad so I can't not have an affinity my stomping grounds!
timber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
Goblin Slayer
SAO: Alicization
Thunderbold Fantasy S2
Ruddor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
Don't sleep on Karakuri Circus, especially if you like Ushio and Tora or classic shonen stories.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
For obvious reasons, my most anticipated anime of the season is and will be for a year Sword Art Online: Alicization

Runner-up/s
Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc to Renkin no Kishi
Girls with swords are one of my favorites, also looks like the fan-service is good.

Ore ga Suki nano wa Imouto dakedo Imouto ja Nai
Just love this kind of forbidden love rom-coms.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people have mentioned Bloom Into You and it's on the top of my list, the scripts handled by Hanada Jukki sounds promising and it's being adapted from a source material a lot of people praise. I have yet to read the manga, but I'll probably wait until the anime ends.

Tsurune is also there, being handled by Kyoani and that's usually a good thing. It's being handled by a first-time director though so I'll keep my expectations in check.

My eyes are also on Anima Yell - another Kirara show, a ex-Ghibli staff guy debuting as a rookie director handling a slice-of-life moe of all things, made by Dogakobo -, Irozuku Sekai no Ashita Kara - time travel, magic and Nagasaki -, Release the Spyce - fun times with spies -, and last but not least, Run with the Wind - a sports anime starring actual adults, heard good things about the source material.

And there's Himote House as the odd one out, being a short, having crappy 3DCG animation and probable ad-lib schenanigans knowing the director's track record. I'm expecting I'll have a lot of fun with that Razz

These are the ones I'm planning to stick around with till the end. We'll see about the rest.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, can't wait for Gridman. Until James mentioned him, I'd forgotten how much stuff Hasegawa's written for that I've really liked plus that he's already done a number of Tokusatsu show, so his experience + the idea of a Tokusatsu anime + Trigger seems right in Trigger's wheelhouse. I hope this can build into one of the top fun, cool, and stylish action fixes of the season.

Double Decker is also my other top anticipated show. Tiger & Bunny was glorious and I'm loving the setting, atmosphere/tone, and characters/art style in the trailers for this. The animation and soundtrack seem like they'll be great.

Karakuri Circus since Ushio and Tora's remake was really well done.

So many shows: Goblin Slayer, Release the Spyce, Radiant, Zombieland Saga (especially now that it's joined the dub list and so now I'm extra curious what kind of show it's going to be), RErideD (even with the mentioned shortcomings in the mini-review of 1-4), and Jeanne I'm also definitely checking out.

Sora to Umi no Aida I'll check out since it's in a sci-fi setting and didn't know about it till just now trying to refresh my memory on what's coming. And Otona no Bōguya-san sounds bizarre too. If both of these gets released.

Also can't wait for the continuations of Golden Kamuy, Fairy Tail, and Space Battleship Tiramisu.
More Mikoto is the biggest reason I'm excited for new Index III as well, lol.

Didn't know about Merc Storia that Rebecca mentioned so that's cool, will try that too, and I agree, gonna be definitely waiting on the dub for new Phoenix. Will probably try to fit in checking out Slime since it'll probably be one of the big hits and Senran Kagura for some extra fanservice action to go with Jeanne, since I've played some of the games.

Jeez, Funi's streaming service and simuldubs are gonna own me this season lmao...

Gotta wait on the new Jojo. I'm watching Diamond on Toonami now.

Ruddor wrote:
Don't sleep on Karakuri Circus, especially if you like Ushio and Tora or classic shonen stories.

Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:39 pm; edited 7 times in total
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Most Anticipated: A Certain Magical Index s3
Runner-up: Sword Art Online: Alicerization

Also plan to watch SSSS: Gridman. But beyond those three, nothing much else is sparking my interest, tho I will probably give some of them a try.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Shock! A yuri anime of the non sexual predator kind where male character are present. The things people come up with nowaday. Lauren write up made it sounds like romance wasn't really going to be involved, or at least never addressed.

This is normal if you are reading yuri not for fanservice and don't be toxic due to shipping. And I highly doubt that it will be similar to Maria-sama, since this show is an open story about lesbian relationships, rather than the old-fashioned Class S literature.

Most Anticipated: Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara, Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet and Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai. I always adored teenage dramedy and melodrama, so these two series will definitely be my potential favorites this season. Not to mention my love for P.A.Works original anime.

Runner-Up: SSSS.Gridman, Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken and Goblin Slayer. These shows look very tasty, not to mention the fact that the last one is done by my favorite studio. However, I still don't know what to expect from these three shows, so I remain rather suspicious.

On the side of the above, I will definitely take a look at Yagate Kimi ni Naru and Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu, as it seems adequate qeer romance without fanservice and pure subtext.

And of course Tsurune: Kazemai Koukou Kyuudoubu, since I obviously can not pass by KyoAni and the gender neutral show about the male "super friendship".
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Golden Kamuy, and Hinomaru Zumou. I'm hoping the anime does the latter justice. I haven't been so much in love with a manga since Moyashimon, so I'm hoping HinoZumou can win people over. C'mon, everyone loves an underdog!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The preview episode of Gridman was nothing exceptional. While stylistically competent and appropriately paced, designed and filmed, the pilot was written to be devoid of risk. Challenge us, Trigger! Rousing the spirits of genre fans (as occurred in the AX auditorium) is insufficient — typical tokusatsu tomfoolery with a hint of an underlying puzzle is hardly a hook in this day and age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
meiam wrote:

This is normal if you are reading yuri not for fanservice and don't be toxic due to shipping. And I highly doubt that it will be similar to Maria-sama, since this show is an open story about lesbian relationships, rather than the old-fashioned Class S literature.

EXACTLY!! If you think that all yuri is either Citrus or Maria-sama, you haven't been reading yuri!

Bloom into you is my number one for the season by a long shot! And, for the record, I'm in the camp that classifies Yuu as "Demi-romantic" but definitely not asexual, though I did suspect it early on in the manga. spoiler[Let's just say she doesn't dislike the physical stuff once their relationship progresses to that point.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3