• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Funimation Producing So Many Simuldubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure that's just because BONES is pretty good about quality and scheduling. The worse looking BONES show in the last few years was Noragami ARAGOTO, which so happened to air while they were working on season 1 of MHA.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Vadara wrote:
It's very interesting, because if you go solely off of internet commentary, the overwhelming majority of anime fans prefer subs, yet the sheer amount of simuldubs happening can only point to dubs being heavily appreciated by a large but almost entirely quiet subset of the fanbase.

I think that's entirely a case of where you're getting your opinion. Sub v. dub arguments aren't as common or heated as they used to be but I think that's probably because now with so many different forums/social media areas to discuss anime, people tend to isolate into an echo chamber of what they like to consume. So I'd imagine there's a very vocal dub community somewhere out there, you're just not in it Wink

That said, I personally find the amount of simuldubs kind of crazy because from what I've personally seen, people who watch mostly dubs prefer to watch shows all at once rather than on a week-to-week basis. But I suppose the growing availability of simuldubs (and just easy access to anime in general) is actively changing how people consume their media. Wild times, these days.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I think the bigger reason for that is that the English side of the industry is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. We have more voice actors with better performances and more directors that understand and respect the medium they're working with.

I think the reason why those debates got so heated in the first place is largely due to that transformation. When I got into anime, All English Dubs Were Awful. There were no exceptions--even the better English dubs were fair universally agreed to be inferior to the original dubs. But slowly and steadily things improved, with plenty of old timers either failing to recognizing the improvement, or dismissing it out of hand, and clinging to their old truisms.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I've been spoiled rotten by Funimation but I feel like they could do way more than 15-17 simuldubs at once and would greatly welcome it in all honesty.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
probably not. they only have nine recording booths and have included nights shifts which is what allows them to do that many. any more than what they are currently doing would likely be impossible
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I applaud Funimation for managing to simuldub the first 48 episodes of Monster Hunter Stories Ride On for a whole year. That must've been really tough and daunting.

It's too bad that unspecified licensing issues prevented them from doing the remaining 27 episodes.
emory

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
What's even more impressive is that while MHA is at a two-week delay on the dub now, they kept up same-day release for months. That's just insane.

To this day I have no idea how they managed Space Dandy. I assume the entire thing was almost finished before the first episode even aired to avoid the dreaded production schedule slip.

Space Dandy was a very special exception. For one, it was co-financed by Adult Swim and Funimation, which was what Ken Iyadomi from Bandai Visual wanted to do. Thanks to that arrangement, the show was scheduled to be turned in well ahead of the airdate, to facilitate the English dub broadcast in both countries. Animax Asia also took advantage, airing the English dub alongside the Japanese broadcast.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
In this being case of "Senpai noticed me!", Twitter user @CliffordChapin wrote "Thank you, @worldofcrap, for your kind words in today's Answerman piece!"

The first simuldub series would be "Immortal Grand Prix" (not the micro-series version). It debuted on Toonami in 11/2005 about a month after the Japanese version debuted. Simuldubbing wouldn't become more common with Funi until Fall 2014.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Hmm

The only shows I've been interested in that have gotten FUNi dubs in recent years have been Arslan, ACCA, and Hanamaru (shhh it's not mediocre, it's one of my favorites. Seriously.)

ACCA was pretty good. The script went... weird for a bit (like, there was this one part where the character says "That train accident that you did this diplomatic work on, my parents died in that, and your work after it means a lot to me, so I respect you and I don't believe the rumors about you," and the dub was like... "My parents are dead... it happened in that train accident... oh, you did some stuff with that, right? Thanks for that" with this sort of, "lol" tone that seemed off for the scene?) But the story itself ends up being a train wreck, so it doesn't matter much. Magie's deadpan perfection doesn't come close to the seiyuu, but all the other characters are as good if not better. Jean is considerably more moe in the dub actually.

(K is Viz, and all the other shows I watch are cute-boys-doing-cute-things shows that no one bothered to dub... a good dub of StarMyu or KamiAso would have been so great, but no such luck)

I'd like to see them take it to the next step and have some of the English voice actors do the sorts of non-anime things that voice actors in Japan do, like drama CDs - original drama CDs that aren't based on anything, or drama CDs of manga that don't have anime - but American fans don't seem to be interested in those. ...Amazon is producing some drama CDs of American/British things, like X Files, and longer Jane Austen adaptations than the BBC ones usually are (the BBC ones are like ~2hrs to cover a book, and the Amazon one I just listened to was 8hrs). And of course, the BBC still does them. So maybe eventually, American anime fans will get interested...?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
It should also be noted that Funi really committed to simuldubbing, and early. They started small with only a few shows per season then slowly grew and invested more into the process, promising to rerecord lines if lip flaps change for the home video release or the actor just couldn't finish their role for the week or rest of the season. That alone is a pretty big deal.

but that could be a problem. it was the productions of so many english dub without taking in the cost is what sunk media blasters, bandai ent , pioneer/geneon ent and ESPECIALLY ADV Films!!! not to mention that there are those that will find a way to watch them illegally (surprised they haven't taken legal actions against those sites) , so there's that!

if their not careful about this (and this is from a diehard dub only person here) , they could end up going down the same tragic fates as those companies!!!

Quote:
And of course, Funimation isn't the only company making them -- Sentai Filmworks/HIDIVE releases one or two "dubcasts" every season (Funimation trademarked the word "simuldub"), and dubs being made for Netflix exclusives by SDI, Bang Zoom and others are fairly close to being simuldubs.

wait what!? when did that happened!? i mean trademarking just the word simuldub is kinda overreaching if you ask me! other dubbing studios are doing the same so i can understand the term might end up becoming a lexicon of the english language like with "borking" but trademarking the term!? that's some serious detective conan BS if you ask me!!!

[EDIT: Bootleg streaming site name removed ~Zalis]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Do they have any voice actors on salary or is it all contracted by project?

I could see it being a little easier if some of their work horse voice actors are on salary so there is a group of voice actors who you know will always be at the studio on a set schedule. Like grade school, where the schedules of classes are a little bit easier because you know all the students will be there during a set time on set days ie salaried employee. That's probably a lot easier than if you had to first contact all the students (ie contractors) to see what days and times they'd be available and then you still have to figure out how to break the classes up and get everyone where they need to be.

Anything that adds stability

jr240483 wrote:
but that could be a problem. it was the productions of so many english dub without taking in the cost is what sunk media blasters, bandai ent , pioneer/geneon ent and ESPECIALLY ADV Films!!!

This is true, but Funimation was around for that era and survived it. I can't imagine them doing this in a way that takes into account none of the lessons they learned or things they experienced. Again, they were around for all of those companies and they're still standing. History says they have a good mind for not doing company destroying things, no matter what their competitors are up to or how the market swings.
Wikiwiki1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I for one applaud funimation for their outstanding work. My life is so hectic that normally the only time I can watch anything is on my computer while I work. It would be impossible to watch any of these shows if sub was the only option.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Last week, Clifford Chapin did a 9/24 tweet that he was on vacation that week. On 9/6, he tweeted that that was the day of his 2-year anniversary as a full-time Funi ADR director. On 9/5, he requested time off for a vacation, something he had never done before. I don't see such a thing happening as very often if you were contracted. Contracted VA is like when they got Erica Mendez to go to Funi HQ to record for her "My Hero Academia" role.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Last week, Clifford Chapin did a 9/24 tweet that he was on vacation that week. On 9/6, he tweeted that that was the day of his 2-year anniversary as a full-time Funi ADR director. On 9/5, he requested time off for a vacation, something he had never done before. I don't see such a thing happening as very often if you were contracted. Contracted VA is like when they got Erica Mendez to go to Funi HQ to record for her "My Hero Academia" role.

If you work as an ADR director, engineer, script writer, or otherwise on staff, you're salaried and officially part of FUNimation.

If you don't do anything like the above, you are a contracted VA and there's a pay scale involved depending on your experience.

That's how I believe it works.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Having grown-up with 5/6 anime dubs per week to then land in the US and be forced to watch 2/3 on toonami that were maybe 10 years past their prime (yeah people I watched all of DB, DBZ, Early Pokemon & Sailor Moon by the time you got to watch the ending of the Frieza saga) I'm really happy that Funimation has double down on the dubs. It's working. I know many friends who just can't/won't keep up with the 50+ subs a season and just wait for the simuldub/dubcast schedule to get their anime fix (I'm actually in this group now with a few subs here and there).

I hope this means that the dubbing houses are earning more money and passing some of that money to their talents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2