• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Dragon Pilot Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree that a spoiler warning is appropriate in an article titled "Is Foo worth watching?" People who have seen the show presumably can answer that question for themselves.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
1. You guys really REALLY need to stop using White font with no borders. That's just disgusting. You change this in netflix settings https://www.netflix.com/subtitlepreferences Uniform is the most legible. Especially for screenshots. In hte screenshots I provided below, I had not at the time known I could change the subtitle font >.>

2. No mention of the all the errors Netflix had on their subs?

A few examples. They have written
Quote:
I"m feeling a little weak.
with the " instead of ' ( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn-MrlsU4AEnud-.jpg:large ) and then later
Quote:
that he is by her self
instead of "that he is by her side" ( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn-UYYUW0AA4Jki.jpg:large ). These are just two examples. There was at least 5 more but I did not keep good track of them all.

Netflix needs to fire their current editors and/or hire some capable ones. They had many months to fix these issues while they held onto the episodes.

The show itself I definitely found worth watching. Not amazing, but very enjoyable. It's just a shame Netflix did more harm than good but seemingly not giving enough shits about it to have error-free subs.

and lastly, you REALLY should put spoiler warnings on this. The title baits people that haven't seen the show into reading the article to see if they SHOULD. But all the spoilers ruins it for people that haven't seen it. But then the point of the article is irrelevant to those that have seen it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
2. No mention of the all the errors Netflix had on their subs?

The errors you're describing are nowhere near as bad as Asenshi spicing up the subtitles and adding phrases like "f*ck buddies" to this otherwise tame show.

Kougeru wrote:
and lastly, you REALLY should put spoiler warnings on this. The title baits people that haven't seen the show into reading the article to see if they SHOULD. But all the spoilers ruins it for people that haven't seen it. But then the point of the article is irrelevant to those that have seen it.

Quote:
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the participants in this chatlog are not the views of Anime News Network. Spoiler Warning for discussion of the series ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyokoBestMeguca

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
It's probably worth mentioning here that in between this show being released in Japan and it being released here the JSDF has accepted their first ever female fighter pilot.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I already watched all 12 episodes of this weird show. I enjoyed the comedic and slice of life aspects the most. The last arc felt a bit out of left field, but the show wrapped up in a satisfying way. And as usual Bones delivers great visuals.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Dragon pilot. It's one of those anime you can't judge based off appearances, it's wholesome and original. A welcome departure from modern anime which tends to be virtual copies of other anime.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess I must've missed some of what this show was trying to say, because it didn't come across as quite so progressive or positive toward women to me. It felt like they were still suggesting that women somehow have an obligation to prioritize their job above all else, and that romance is basically impossible for any normal woman(only a few oddballs, who probably aren't you, are crazy enough to make it work), and Hisone's solution that spoiler[she loves everyone, but Masotan the most, was also a bit off-putting.] I was apparently reading into all of that wrong, but it's not easy for me to see this as quite as progressive as everyone else.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
I just read a little bit so as not to be spoiled, but I thought this was a kids show based on the few screenshots I've seen Laughing
Sounds interesting, so I might check it out now Smile
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
I only wonder what Anne McCaffrey would have thought of all this.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

The ending worked for me on an emotional level so I didn't have any issues with it. Also, the dub is pretty good based on the episodes I watched of it, so that's always a plus.

Too bad the same can only be said in a partial way about the Latin American Spanish dub, since it was dubbed mostly by newcomers here. This is normally will not being a big deal by itself if not were for some reasons that irritated Latin American fans

1- The dub felt somewhat constrained at times, as if the voice actors didn't want to act at the best of their abilities.
2- The fact the whole premise of the show is very alien for Latin American viewers
3- And finally, the fact this show did got a Spanish dub, while series like Code Geass and Gundam Unicorn, which are more popular with anime fans, did not.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I guess I must've missed some of what this show was trying to say, because it didn't come across as quite so progressive or positive toward women to me.

You are not alone. The stuff about spoiler[making the girls fall in love to break theirs hearts] was messed up. Like you, I did not see much of progressive views towards women in this show. It is possible to have a female cast and still be misogynistic. I am not saying that Hisone and Masotan is misogynist, but it is not feminist either.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I guess I must've missed some of what this show was trying to say, because it didn't come across as quite so progressive or positive toward women to me.

You are not alone. The stuff about spoiler[making the girls fall in love to break theirs hearts] was messed up. Like you, I did not see much of progressive views towards women in this show. It is possible to have a female cast and still be misogynistic. I am not saying that Hisone and Masotan is misogynist, but it is not feminist either.

Guys, haven't you forgotten this is a Japanese show?
EB01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Guys, haven't you forgotten this is a Japanese show?

I don't view it too differently from the portrayal of basic training in the USA Army in TV/movies (I don't know if it is like that IRL or was like that years ago but a lot of TV/movies show some brutal psychological stuff).
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Like what was the point of the whole thing about spoiler[the girls having to fall in love and break their hearts to pilot when Hisone ended up being able to do both anyway for the convenience of the narrative? ]

The point of it was for Hisone to prove it was wrong. History and experience led her predecessors/superiors to believe it was necessary, but as the commenters mentioned, Hisone says "%@#$ that, I want both", and gets both - because she learns that the two things don't have to conflict with each other.

DeTroyes wrote:
The only part of the series I thought didn't work was spoiler[the episode 10 cliffhanger that sees Hisone quitting as a dragon pilot. Up until that point I thought the series was going well, but that moment just seemed to come too much out of nowhere. I get why they took that twist, as it gives a reason for Old Lady Dragon Pilot to fly Masotan, but the execution felt completely out of character for Hisone.] But that's a minor quibble.

I think it made sense for Hisone, both in concept and execution. spoiler[Hisone is used to being an outcast, so when the amaste-whatever-osis happens, Hisone interprets the issue as being her own presence interfering with the mission; and since she realizes how much she loves Hisone, Hataru, and really the whole team and her job, the logical conclusion for her is to protect what she loves by distancing herself from it. the abrupt manner in which she announces it seems fitting for Hisone, because the show has already established how quirky her train of thought can be, and how passionate she can get about certain manners. That she announces it with so much confidence is funny because that's just like her - which makes it all the sadder when it becomes evident how wrong she actually is this time.] That's my take, anyway.

relyat08 wrote:
It felt like they were still suggesting that women somehow have an obligation to prioritize their job above all else, and that romance is basically impossible for any normal woman(only a few oddballs, who probably aren't you, are crazy enough to make it work), and Hisone's solution that spoiler[she loves everyone, but Masotan the most, was also a bit off-putting.]

I can see why that would bother you, although I interpreted it differently. spoiler[As I read it, the focus was on Hisone discovering something she was passionate about (her piloting relationship with Masotan), and then realizing that the other things she loved (namely, Hataru) came to be through the connection to her passion (same workplace, similar sense of duty/devotion), while still being different enough that they didn't have to conflict. In short, Hisone's connection to Masotan came first, and her connection to Hataru was a direct result of that, so she gave Masotan priority - which seemed reasonable to me.]
Having said that, your interpretation could be just as valid, and if that was the true intent, I have qualms with it too.

dragonmastr wrote:
I did absolutely love the hilarious tongue/licking thing though. It was pure comedy gold and strangely endearing.

YES, this so much! I felt like I died of laughter after that scene. The little moments of spoken onomatopoeia were a delightful addition to the style of the show

Overall, this show ended up being one of my favorites this year. I had hopes this show would deliver (one way or another) since it was announced, and it certainly did. I agree it had issues; for me, the biggest two were 1: more slice-of-life time and development of the lore would have been most welcome, and 2: the the very ending of the story seemed a bit... Too easy? spoiler[I mean, after the epic climax and the time jump, everyone seems a little too assured Hisone is coming back, with little to go on, and then when HIsone & Masotan do show up, it feels a bit abrupt and random, almost like they weren't actually missing the whole time.]. Ultimately, though, I was totally charmed by this show, and I hope it finds a good audience, because I think it deserves it.

Also, Hisone = best girl 2018. I'm standing by that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2