• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Anime Companies Release Sales And Viewership Numbers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
a good example is how Telltale was actually doing badly all these years.We all assumed everything was fine in that company,but only now in September when they announced their bankrupcy we found out that most of their games were not even turning into a profit

Pretty obvious with the fact that the only game they were publishing making waves was The Walking Dead and even then I don't recall the sales of the 1st season being touted much.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
And this is why I like getting actual numbers from the Japanese side like Oricon for anime and Media Create for video games. It leaves no room for PR spinning. You know exactly how much a show or game sells, and don't need to rely on meaningless PR speak like "fastest selling game over a 3 day period in this specific genre for our company compared to the previous year" You can spin any failure into a success with speech like that. It happens a lot in the American comic industry, where we get actual numbers of copies shipped via Diamond, but people who protest low-selling series being cancelled will try to bring up TPB sales despite there being zero credible information on those sales.

TV ratings still exist, and I pity the day streaming services fully take over because they never release viewer numbers.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
And this is why I like getting actual numbers from the Japanese side like Oricon for anime and Media Create for video games. It leaves no room for PR spinning. You know exactly how much a show or game sells

Except they are not "exact" at all: that's mentioned very early in this Answerman article.
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Why do I get the feeling I've read this "Answerman" topic before...

Because you have.

He might not be getting any good questions, but still has to post a certain amount of times each week. This is the second time in the past couple weeks a question and answer has been copy/pasted from a previous one with just the title changed.[/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2