• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Thank god this is finished. Not much talk during the season, and I think that is because any promise it had, quickly was lost. It is actually worse in some ways because this was not actually horrible through everything, occasionally animation would be okay, and even some story beats would be alright. But then ruins it with dumb breasts jokes, and playing up the crossdresser. Said crossdresser was a totally confusing character, he said that he is a guy multiple times as to reassure the audience, makes no actual sense why he is wearing women's clothes because he says he would rather not do so at times, and I guess even up to the end is played up as shipped with a guy, in a confusing way that does not really explain what it is. Not to mention that he seemed the sole reason he went into battle as to make complaints about being defeated would mean that he is going to be raped and stuff, I think it said in a sort of fetish way. Says something when it comes across as more offensive than how Goblin Slayer which actually had the stuff.

The sexuality in this show, was just kind of gross, maybe expected when I think the main female character was something like a 12 year old, who's main trait seemed to be boob envy, and was made to wear ridiculous clothes. The total from of her top is open. Really, I would describe this show as stinking of teenage angst and or pandering. Maybe not give the right to fully complain about it, since it has a particular audience, but it so shamelessly feels aimed at teenage boys, with enough conflict as to make it feel deep to said audience, and a range of girls to meet fetishes. From big boobs, to crossdressing, to girls a few years younger (which really become a problem in terms of what that age would be. There is even a learn French words or phrases at the end of episodes. But it does feel very have you cake and it eat it too, where said audience are not as mature as they thing they are, kind of like we are sort of meant to believe that the main character, Montmorency, apparently skipped in age from being a kid to a mature teenager. I don't think Jeanne's age should be much different from when he got locked away, yet she is made so much more childish.

This show is dumb, with so much angst that it is frankly annoying, and feels like other parts are squandered, such as connecting it to the whole real world person. It is good to be done with it. I give a rating of Weak (3/10), I wish that I had done something better with my time.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
Somehow I really liked hearing Jeanne say "Montmorency". Maybe this show made me awaken to a weird fetish.

But yeaaah this show was terrible. The animation got pretty awful at times (what the fudge is this?). It had gods and spaceships near the end. What was that all about? I'm glad it's over. Rated it Weak as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2