• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Princess Principal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Yeah good point, I've still got some memories of that short dub sample we got for it. That would have been so cool, hell I think a bunch of them are still voicing lol. I remember it even had Barbara Goodson in it.

Looking up the cast list I'm guessing this must have been one of the first times I'd heard her, Wendee Lee, Doug Stone, etc, which is super cool to think about. Also, it's funny how a couple of them reunited in similar roles for Teknoman, no wonder I got into that dub so quickly back in the day.

They're all still voice acting, well except for Kerrigan Mahan, who seems to be spending his time using his voice...to endorse the greatness of Goldar. XD

https://www.youtube.com/user/KerriganMahan

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

I for one would still prefer they be "overdressed" as opposed to unrealistically skimpy like most female-dominated action series often are (not quite as respectful of its characters, in my opinion).

I remember thinking that Ange's usual "spy" outfit showed a heck of a lot leg for the time period.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Yeah good point, I've still got some memories of that short dub sample we got for it. That would have been so cool, hell I think a bunch of them are still voicing lol. I remember it even had Barbara Goodson in it.

Looking up the cast list I'm guessing this must have been one of the first times I'd heard her, Wendee Lee, Doug Stone, etc, which is super cool to think about. Also, it's funny how a couple of them reunited in similar roles for Teknoman, no wonder I got into that dub so quickly back in the day.

They're all still voice acting, well except for Kerrigan Mahan, who seems to spending his time using his voice...to endorse the greatness of Goldar. Anime hyper

https://www.youtube.com/user/KerriganMahan

Cool! Thought so, but didn't have time to check 'em all.

LOL Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Considering that Amazon has the rights to Princess Principal, perhaps they would be interested in carrying the movies reasonably close to their release dates.

On the other hand, my biggest disappointment with Amazon Prime right now concerns the live-action adaptation of Moribito. The NHK devoted twenty-two episodes to this gorgeous series, but Amazon has only licensed the first one so far. If that's any indication of their commitment to the Japanese series they carry, the prospects for future PriPri are more cloudy. (Look at all the older series they carry now with only English dubs, too. I went to watch Juuni Kokuki ["Twelve Kingdoms"] the other day and turned it off immediately when I discovered I couldn't even choose the Japanese track.)

Amazon sub-licensed Princess Principal among several others from Sentai, so it will be up to Sentai (assuming they're getting the license) and the Japanese licensors about how long the wait is.

Usually Amazon doesn't stream anime movies, not from their theatrical releases anyways. They may only get a movie from someone else, once it has released on home video. One example is the Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress movie, which Crunchyroll licensed and premiered in theaters. Amazon only has the streaming license for the TV version currently.

And this applies to other streaming services as well, so I would not expect Sentai to stream the Princess Principal sequel movies on HIDIVE until they're out on home video.
Dolza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
I very much enjoyed PriPri, and thought the character twist was well done. One of the best parts was the kick-a@@ OP.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
PriPri is pretty much everything I could ask for from a steampunk anime. Train chases, car chases, awesome airships, public domain Victorian science fiction concepts, class inequality, steam greeble architecture, references to Victorian literature, mostly accurate costuming, cool girls with period-accurate guns, casual racism, workers' control of the means of production, Queen Victoria in a steam powered wheelchair, England finally taking over France, etc. Not to mention, awesome OP.

The dub is great, in my opinion. Japanese dialogue occurring between Japanese people in one episode is preserved, which was a really nice touch.

There are few steampunk anime and even fewer ones I think are good, so Princess Princess is a genre masterpiece in my opinion, and it's based on some kind of mobage no less. Well done, production staff.

Quote:
suffers from a lack of a recurring antagonist

Doesn't the Kingdom spymaster Duke of Normandy count as recurring antagonist, even if he doesn't always make an appearance in person?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Back when Princess Principal was airing, I commented to someone that If you made a checklist of all the show's elements and asked me to mark down the ones that interested me, I'd probably end up checking every box. In spite of that, though, there was never a point at which I was either impressed or even interested in the series. Maybe it came out right at the point when I finally experienced steampunk-fatigue, or maybe my general dislike of The Prince and the Pauper-inspired stories colored my ability to enjoy the show. Maybe it was that I picked up on all of the "stuff you'll only notice the second time you watch the show" right off the bat, which made the big mid-series reveal feel extremely predictable to me. No matter what the reason was, I ended up enjoying the story a lot less than I expected.

I'm glad that people are making shows like Princess Principal, though, and I'm even more glad that Princess Principal was successful, because in general, I really enjoy shows like Princess Principal... just not this one, apparently.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
I think the Princess Principal dub might be my favorite from Sentai. Can't wait for the movies.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
and it's based on some kind of mobage no less. Well done, production
The mobage for PriPri was made after the anime started as a tie-in.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I think the Princess Principal dub might be my favorite from Sentai. Can't wait for the movies.

Awesome! Can't wait for my PE set.

Merxamers wrote:
I love the look the Zillions bluray has, like it's been in a VHS rental store for 20 years. I think they did that with the Devilman release as well; it's a neat style.

Just got my Zillion set and I agree, I love it.

John Thacker wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
I love the look the Zillions bluray has, like it's been in a VHS rental store for 20 years. I think they did that with the Devilman release as well; it's a neat style.

This is also, extremely appropriately, what the Bluray of Netflix's Stranger Things did. Ninja Slayer has a release that looks like a burned DVD-R.

Yeah, the tape style box for that.
LOL yes, that was hilarious with the Ninja Slayer discs. Also the faked fingerprints lol.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess I will be "That Guy". Maybe I just missed something, and everyone already knows this. Here goes.

Did you know Albion is the oldest known name for the Island better known as Great Britain?

There, said it. Yeah "Nation of Albion" isn't much of a stretch, eh? Everyone probably already knew this, but I couldn't help myself.

Exit stage left.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
I guess I will be "That Guy". Maybe I just missed something, and everyone already knows this. Here goes.

Did you know Albion is the oldest known name for the Island better known as Great Britain?

There, said it. Yeah "Nation of Albion" isn't much of a stretch, eh? Everyone probably already knew this, but I couldn't help myself.

Exit stage left.

I didn't! Wink Interesting that Japan makes so much stuff set in England.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2