• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah Trish. Looking forward to her continuing to learn how to use it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
about time we saw trish's stand, but the manga does it better!

the other problem is i am concerned the english dub of golden wind might get the detective conan treatment!

i mean if universal pictures could go into a massive hissy fit over the name "conan" , i cant even imagine the rap industry would do when it came to using the name "notorious B.I.G!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
Also not sure what you mean by "whose abilities are responsible for what". Trish cut the plane in half with Spice Girl, Bucciarati used Sticky Fingers to attach Notorious B.I.G. to his arm, then Trish cuts off his arm with her stand because she knew that she had successfully protected Giorno's hand that was forming from his brooch. And as you can see in that great scene with all of the gang together, Giorno was able to fix them up thanks to Trish. I'm just not really sure what part of the fight lost you here.

Maybe about everything that happens there? It is never explained that Spice Girl can separate soft from hard (nor how or why it can do so) and it is poorly shown that she did the same to the enemy stand, it looked more like she just swatted it off. This is specially egregious in a series that loves to overshow and overexplain everything that happens on screen.
The only obvious part was Giorno's, and that's because we've known about that win condition for many episodes.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:50 am Reply with quote
You can literally see her take off Bucciarati's arm. The remaining part of Notorious B.I.G. that was still left with them on the plane was only attached to his arm.

And I'm not sure what you mean by separating soft from hard. Stands are more than just their abilities. Araki gives each stand a letter grade for things such as power, speed, range, precision, etc. Spice Girl is at the top in both speed and power. So Trish used her stand to break off the part of the plane that B.I.G. was on, because her stand is powerful enough to do so, leaving the part that she and the rest of the gang are in to be the part that she wants to be affected by her ability.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
Trish used her stand to break off the part of the plane that B.I.G. was on, because her stand is powerful enough to do so, leaving the part that she and the rest of the gang are in to be the part that she wants to be affected by her ability.

I can't check the episode right now but I was under the impression she made the cockpit soft so it wouldn't explode when the rest of the plane did because of Notorious CHAAASEUUGH.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's fair to say Spice Girl has boobs "for no reason". No one questions why Star Platinum/The World/Crazy Diamond/literally every humanoid Stand besides Spice Girl that I can think of appears masculine. (Most) women have boobs. Spice Girl is a humanoid Stand that appears feminine, which makes sense given that her name is Spice Girl. Of course she has boobs.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:
BlueBeast33 wrote:
Trish used her stand to break off the part of the plane that B.I.G. was on, because her stand is powerful enough to do so, leaving the part that she and the rest of the gang are in to be the part that she wants to be affected by her ability.

I can't check the episode right now but I was under the impression she made the cockpit soft so it wouldn't explode when the rest of the plane did because of Notorious CHAAASEUUGH.

Well she mainly made the front part soft in order for it to serve as a parachute basically. I don't think the front part was in danger of exploding after she broke the plane apart, but they would have crash landed and quite possibly died, so she had to use her ability once she separated the plane in two.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
(FYI, I've not read the manga.)

I had just assumed that Doppio has dual personalities, the Boss being one of them.

Was trying to place Doppio's voice the entire episode. It's Saitou Souma = Honda! Anime hyper
ronri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Considering Araki's love for horror movies and tropes, the Boss being revealed as an Anti-Christ figure definitely screams "The Omen" vibes of a seemingly timid boy with a devilish side. From what I've heard among manga fans, his backstory isn't necessarily meant to be taken in a sympathetic light, since the whole thing is purposefully left vague to give it an urban legend or creepypasta vibe. I also find it interesting that the general circumstance of the Passione Boss seems to counter Giorno's experience/backstory of seemingly evil criminals having a good side to them. In contrast, Doppio's seeming naivety hides a greater evil inside of him.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:41 am Reply with quote
The great animation and direction saves this episode, but this is definitely where the largest cracks of Golden Wind's story starts to really show its ugly head. All the set pieces are still bizarre and fun to watch, but this writing is just absolutely sloppy.

I'm disappointed at how little build-up there was spoiler[in the reveal of the Boss, that he's literally just this one guy's split personality. It was introduced so casually, and explained to us by a random street fortune-teller at that!] What even the hell?

Plus that whole woman underground in the church? spoiler[I hope you enjoyed that backstory because that is literally it. Unless DP adds more to it, that is literally all you're going to get. No explanation as to how she got there, why she was kept there, and how she was kept alive despite being buried and had her mouth shut, amongst other things. And this was all before the Boss got his Stand, so you can't even use Stand powers as an excuse. He only got the Stand powers after his burning of the town and travelled to Egypt to gain the Arrows.]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
So I assume that Doppio either has the spirit of his father inside of him or this is a Two-Face and Arnold Wesker type of double personality, only he does not realise it.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
ronri wrote:
Considering Araki's love for horror movies and tropes, the Boss being revealed as an Anti-Christ figure definitely screams "The Omen" vibes of a seemingly timid boy with a devilish side. From what I've heard among manga fans, his backstory isn't necessarily meant to be taken in a sympathetic light, since the whole thing is purposefully left vague to give it an urban legend or creepypasta vibe. I also find it interesting that the general circumstance of the Passione Boss seems to counter Giorno's experience/backstory of seemingly evil criminals having a good side to them. In contrast, Doppio's seeming naivety hides a greater evil inside of him.

Yeah that’s more or less how I interpreted it. It’s not whether the backstory was sympathetic or pure evil, but just how cryptic and yet almost down to earth it is. Born under completely insane circumstances and was a creepy as hell baby, then adopted and had a normal upbringing raised by a priest, met a girl and fell in love, then ends up burning his entire past to ashes to seemingly go begin his new life, his name is even listed among the dead. Urban Legend is definitely a good way of putting it.
Generations wrote:
I'm disappointed at how little build-up there was in the reveal of the Boss, that he's literally just this one guy's split personality. It was introduced so casually, and explained to us by a random street fortune-teller at that!] What even the hell?

I actually really enjoyed that scene! It’s almost this ridiculous Bruce Banner/Hulk sort of deal going on, and it was an excellent little twist on just how the boss has evaded being discovered his entire life. The fortune teller legit screaming his whole deal to us was a bit on the nose, when the visuals (and the boss’ voice) were conveying that just fine, but that’s just how Jojo’s always been~.
Generations wrote:
Plus that whole woman underground in the church? I hope you enjoyed that backstory because that is literally it. Unless DP adds more to it, that is literally all you're going to get. No explanation as to how she got there, why she was kept there, and how she was kept alive despite being buried and had her mouth shut, amongst other things.

Like it was said above I just loved how creepy and almost urban myth like the story was. Just like “why did Bruno’s parents get divorced?” It’s not something I thought needed a full explanation. It just was what it was. Maybe it was meant to show how twisted, and completely committed to covering his tracks the boss was even in his younger years, that he kept his mother’s body with him at all times and sewed her mouth shut, just to be sure there were no loose ends what so ever? He could’ve killed her but I guess he just didn’t want too haha~

I do agree with the review that this episode will definitely be easier to follow once it’s clearer who Doppio is meant to be. I pretty much agreed with the other reactions here that he’s just an alternate, more innocent and clueless personality of the boss, that just happens to sort of resemble his younger self. The boss uses him as a convinient double identity and gives him orders as needed.
I was super pumped for Risotto Nero to finally step into the spotlight personally! And his power is just as bloody as that little tease made it out to be. Definitely excited to see what the next episode brings. It’s kind of exciting to see two villains fight like this, I feel like that’s something that rarely, if ever, has happened in Jojo up to this point?
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The Boss is Part 5's biggest weakness. Not only is his Stand, King Crimson under-explained and overpowering in narrative breaking sense but as a character, he just doesn't really cohere. Araki relied too much on mystery and weirdness and less on making sense as to how someone this genuinely insane ever became the most powerful crime boss in the world.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
The Boss is Part 5's biggest weakness. Not only is his Stand, King Crimson under-explained and overpowering in narrative breaking sense but as a character, he just doesn't really cohere. Araki relied too much on mystery and weirdness and less on making sense as to how someone this genuinely insane ever became the most powerful crime boss in the world.

Might wanna cut out his Stand being under-explained because we got a detailed explanation & showing on how his powers work like a while ago.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Is there any insight out there on the usage of Cacani in this show? It's an animation program with an auto-inbetweening ability, which has been in the credits for Part 5 (I forget if it showed up at all in Part 4).

There have been some moments of animation in the show that seem kind of...noticeably "different", in a consistent way. Not bad, but almost "overanimated", if that makes sense. The one that got me thinking about it in this episode is the moment after Doppio gets a mouthful of needles, and throws the scalpels around him in a rage.

I may be completely wrong and that's just how some parts of this show end up looking just from regular animators, but it has me wondering if that's Cacani in action. It's very impressive, either way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 14