Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I understand that there are plot reasons why they have switched bodies, but does anyone else think that one of them is because Araki realised that Trish had barely done anything of note, her sheer existence is more important than anything she has done, and had only been in stand battle.

Because since she swapped with Mista, she(or at least her body) has been way more proactive than at any point leading up to this.Whether this is because he did not know how to portray her in such a manner or that Mista's stand is more versatile than Trish's.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ChestPains

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Well Trish is basically just a normal civilian that ended up with a stand, and a not-so-strong one at that. Chariot Requiem exists to split Doppio from Diavolo, not to give Trish a spotlight.

I'm surprised people are somehow finding this arc hard to follow, when the anime explained everything in the easiest way possible. And I don't see the problem with the body swap thing in the first place, because it just means even when they get to the boss, he still (by a stroke of luck) manages to hide himself again, in plain sight no less. And on top of that the golden arrow makes the situation even worse because it's essentially a "whoever gets it wins" situation vs an invisible opponent (until he reveals himself at least).

...All that said, Giorno's thing about seeing souls with his stand is pretty obviously related to how GE has the power of life. That's been hammered into every fight he's in even if for a moment, it's not like "stand that literally gives life" being able to check life is a stretch.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
This final battle is why I've always considered Golden Wind to be one of the weaker parts. While the first half really started strongly, it just ended on such a weak, unexciting, unecessarily-confusing note. David Production's done their best in adding all these little touches that elevate the weak and confusing parts of the manga, but overall it can't fix how unimpressive this fight is and how little I care about half of the protagonists. I felt infinitely less invested about Diavolo after his reveal.

Stone Ocean had an equally bizarre ending and really jumped off the rails when spoiler[Bohemian Rhapsody] showed up, but overall I definitely think it was a stronger part overall and had characters I cared more about. At this point, I'm just watching it because it's still JoJo-enjoyable, but at the same time can't wait maybe two years from now when Part 6 finally brings us something more enjoyable again.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Nah I still super dig it, and the body switching stuff, while a weird gimmick for a final boss fight, all plays into the idea that the boss truly is this mysterious entity that they can never find. David have done a brilliant job keeping everything as uhh “loosely coherent” as possible. Giorno and Trish both getting their shots at stopping the boss from getting the Arrow were great moments, and I’m excited for what happens in the lead up to these last few episodes.

That said I don’t disagree with looking forward to part 6! I’m super pumped for that for sure!
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The final battle of Golden Wind being an anticlimactic whimper (and not helped by the resolution going on to something else) is usually cited as the number one problem with Part 5. Araki had basically written himself into a corner with how to beat Diavolo as King Crimson's ability to predict the future and skip past any action he doesn't like makes coming up with a way to defeat him much harder than pulling "he gets blown into outer space!" or "They have the same Stand powers!"

Since KC is a god-mode cheating kind of Stand, the only way out then is to give Giorno the most over-powered Stand in the entire series. (Seriously, Gold Experience Requiem is on the level of the strongest members of the cast of Dragon Ball Super or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) And the kind of power is that basically the reality-warping version of the kid at the playground going "uh-uh, everything you did just now didn't count." feels cheap cop-out as a resolution compared to the previous JoJo finales.

Granted, Araki would learn from this. The main villains of Parts 6 and 7 have Stands with abilities to nearly rival GER in OPness and he comes up with logical in-universe ways to defeat them that don't feel like a clear deus ex machina like in Part 5.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
This final battle was absolutely amazing and wonderfully satisfying. Seeing Diavolo FINALLY get what’s coming to him, after easily EASILY being the most threatening and impactful villain in all of Jojo was wonderful. Bruno’s send off is one of my favourite in all of Jojo.

I gotta be honest, most of this review reads like a series of statements to try and deter from the beauty of this finale. Like that the reviewer didn’t get quite what he wanted, but got something just as amazing if not better, and they’re a bit in denial about it. The fact that it’s still a 4/5 despite all the backhanded compliments really says it all I think.

I do fully agree with the reviewer on the arrow powerup though. Unlike a lot of people who seem to think it’s some sort of “lame op item” or “araki wrote himself into a corner”, to me it seems incredibly logical that after so much hype, the arrow would do exactly what is needed to completely annihilate King Crimson. That fact that it looks so cool and interesting doing so only makes it even better~.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:25 am Reply with quote
It feels rather empty now that we are down to only three characters from an original party of seven. And it is a bit of a shame, because once Fugo and Abbacchio had gone this part had some of the best lead characters.
Merida
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:25 am Reply with quote
^Well, it's not really JoJo unless half of the main cast have died by the end...but i also rather liked Bruno's Jesus-like ascension. Smile
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it was really beautiful, and his final speech to Giorno really spoke to how much of a brilliant character Bruno was all around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13