• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boarding School Juliet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:

If my assessment is correct, it'll cover up through the first half of volume 4. The second half starts a new arc that bleeds into volume 5.

Okay! Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ittaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
My favourite part in that 4th episode was spoiler[Juliet acknowledging she's been nothing but a damsel in distress that whole time which is a nice way of not cheapening her usually much stronger heroine position.]
sayrrin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Gohanangered wrote:
Yeah i picked up the manga not long ago. Glad to see this animated. But unlike the original story this is based off of. This will have a better journey and ending then the old school story. A story that needs to be improved apon. Long over due for a re write and this will solve that. Wink

Romeo x Juliet rewrote the story first though. It was a good show.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I appreciated how the Black Doggies' social dynamics contrast against the White Cats' more aloof nature.

Now that I think about it the fact that the Black Doggies have this study group going on for them while the White Cats don't might relate to how more gregarious domestic dogs are generally to each other compared to domestic cats which prefer to be solitary from each other usually.

Quote:
Juliet is reduced to a damsel in distress

Yeah that was a bit of a downer (though at least it was pointed out within the episode so I did not think it was all that bad), but hopefully in future episodes she would have a chance to shine more. In fact, I am trusting that is what is going to happen in the future. It seems like this whole arc is mainly focus on Romeo, but given what we know what Juliet want to accomplish I would guess there would be a future arc dedicated to her.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Overall I thought this was a nice episode though I felt I did not like it as much compared to the other episodes. I do like that we got to learn a bit more about Hasuki, and like the other three episodes before this one still got me to laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:52 am Reply with quote
Ittaku wrote:
My favourite part in that 4th episode was spoiler[Juliet acknowledging she's been nothing but a damsel in distress that whole time which is a nice way of not cheapening her usually much stronger heroine position.]

Ye, it was pretty funny. Tuff Guys get it like that at times too, it just sort of happens when someone got friends looking out for them. It just proves to not equate being vulnerable with being weak, she basically got put in this position by "Romeo" anyways.

My favorite part was spoiler[the moment Hasuki did a thunder slash and ripped off the clothes of those two dudes, where the other guy came out to that bizarre scene only to close the door on them.]

Also Hasuki is a peach all around. Very nicely drawn.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
Early in the first episode I had hopes that Hasuki would actually be some kind of Mercutio to our Romeo, but the show made it clear pretty quickly that she is just the plain old elementary school love trope.

(for those not too well versed in Shakespreare: Mecutio is Romeo's best friend who is so much a favorite of the audience that Shakespeare had to write him out of the story for fear that he would steal the main role from Romeo Smile )

I would have appreciated a best friend "wing girl" for our hero, but I guess the Eternal Rules of Anime dictate that all girls have to at least harbor a secret crush for the main protagonist...
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
^ I do not think this is exclusive to anime. Plus the show has made it clear since episode 1 that Hatsuki had a crush on Romeo. With that said the idea of Hatsuki being this support for Romeo over his relationship to Juliet seems like it would had been a good idea to take. It's been a long time since I have last seen the original Romeo and Juliet, but I find it funny that one character ended up being so popular that he was removed from the story entirely. Very Happy
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dosmundos wrote:
Early in the first episode I had hopes that Hasuki would actually be some kind of Mercutio to our Romeo, but the show made it clear pretty quickly that she is just the plain old elementary school love trope.

(for those not too well versed in Shakespreare: Mecutio is Romeo's best friend who is so much a favorite of the audience that Shakespeare had to write him out of the story for fear that he would steal the main role from Romeo Smile )

I would compare Hasuki more to Benvolio as he was a Montague while Mercutio was only Romeo's friend and had no loyalty to Romeo's house. I'd say Scott and Char of both going for the role of Tybalt though Very Happy.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was relieved to see him reassure Juliet that she can be comfortable in her own skin around him, which means she doesn't have to be a good cook to make him happy. The bit with him repeatedly eating and spitting out Juliet's burnt cookies was one of the jokes that landed this week, as was his reaction to being invited to practice running a three-legged race with her, which was to scream in delighted panic for hours.

This was the only time (by far) that Romeo actually said something smart, and I am proud of him for that. Smile Also that overblown scream that lasted for hours in show was so funny, Very Happy but if I was his room mate I could see myself getting quickly annoyed and wanting him to shut up. Follow by asking why he was screaming for this long in the first place.

Quote:
The big plot point that looks to be carrying us to next week involves two new rivals from the White Cats, Aby Ssinia and Somali Longhaired. Groan worthy cat-breed names aside, (“Ssinia” isn't even a word!)

I was not aware of the their names being a reference to cat breeds until this was pointed out. Well it's certainly fitting given they are affiliated with a group with cat in their names (and the nature of this setting this story takes place in).
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:02 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I was not aware of the their names being a reference to cat breeds until this was pointed out. Well it's certainly fitting given they are affiliated with a group with cat in their names (and the nature of this setting this story takes place in).

Actually, nearly all the characters's name, surname or even both are cats/dogs breeds or something related to cats/dogs.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
^ Oh really!? Now that I think about it Romeo and Juleit surnames do make a reference to dogs and cats. Thanks for sharing that, Yune. Smile

Quote:
Aby tries to excuse his actions by citing his frustration with the strict expectations established by their materialistic and class-obsessed society, but Romio makes the right decision and sends him careening into the bleachers with the force of a small meteorite.

While I did felt a bit sorry for what Aby and Somali went through given the society they live in it still felt cathartic to see Romio toss Aby to the benches like that. That look so painful that if this wasn't a comedy Aby would had been dead from that impact. This is probably the second time I have seen someone take so much damage in this show that it looks fatal. The first one was when Maru got shot directly in the head with an arrow back in the first episode.

I am looking forward to seeing how things go down in tomorrow's episode. It looks like whatever happens in ends up surprising everyone.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the show has to go and ruin it by ending the match with Romio passing out from a nose hemorrhage after he accidentally grabs a handful of Juliet's boob.

Quote:
It's a straight-up corny move that also undermines all of the buildup the last few episodes provided, since Juliet didn't win because of her own strength and will – she won because her boyfriend is a horny doofus.

I actually saw this coming given the preview for this episode. Everyone, especially Scott, was reacting to the turnout of the match in a way that shocked them, so I figure however this match was going to end it was going to conclude in a manner that was stupid. My guess was however this match was going to end it was going to end with Romio accidentally doing something such as grabbing one of Juliet’s boobs or something, and it turn out I was right but it was still surprising no less.

Quote:
Thankfully, the episode picks up significantly after the underwhelming close to the sports festival, and it does so by doubling down on Boarding School Juliet's secret weapon: letting Romio and Juliet just hang out and be cute dorks together. After sneaking out of a party meant to celebrate her big win, Juliet meets up with an embarrassed Romio, who apologizes for getting handsy and graciously follows Juliet's MVP order to teach her a Towa dance.

Quote:
When Juliet begrudgingly admits that she had no special reason to sneak into the Black Doggies' dorm outside of just wanting to see Romio, it transcends what could be a cheap tsundere moment and flaunts the real affection she has for him.

Those was a sweet moments. ^///^ The relationship between those two is slowly beginning to grow on me after watching this episode. Also, I was thinking perhaps Hasuki was the one that call Juliet to take care of Romio while she took care of business being the new leader of the first year Black Dogs. I realize that was unlikely though. Speaking of Hasuki it was also a sweet moment to see her nurse Romio. It further shows that she still cares for him, but at the same time I do feel a bit sorry for her. It kind of makes me want to see an alternate reality in which Romio and Hatsuki were a couple. However, for her sake it would be best if she fully accepts that Romio is with Juliet, but I can understand it taking a while for Hasuki feelings to fully process this reality.

Quote:
it's no wonder that, Romio doesn't feel so good for most of the episode.

That scene. . . Laughing

. . . . . . . .

So next episode we get to finally see what the two sibling like friends that have been showing up in both the opening and ending credits of this show are fully like. I am curious to see how they are going to have an affect on Romio.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Saying Juliet didn't win with her own power because of Inuzuka's death by boob-grab is really pushing it. Everyone has weaknesses in competitions, and I've lost tournaments because of my bad habits as much as won matches because of my opponent's faults. Juliet outlasted her opponent, even with an injury. More power to her. Review was better off stopping at it's an overused gag, which it most certainly is.

Updating my predictions now that we're further along. I'm guessing the plan is to stretch the last arc over three episodes. Maybe pull something similar to this episode and have some of chapter 17 bleed into the last.

Ep 1: ch 1
Ep 2: ch 2-3
Ep 3: ch 4-5
Ep 4: ch 6-7
Ep 5: ch 8-9
Ep 6: ch 10-11
Ep 7: ch 11-12
Ep 8: ch 13
Ep 9: ch 14
Ep 10: ch 15
Ep 11: ch 16-17
Ep 12: ch 18
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I feel this episode (8) had a lot of great insights on the larger pictures of the school feuds, and the politics going on behind the doors. Episode 6 had us all wondering about this for sure, as it was the first "internal dispute" we witnessed, and as not much has been told about it. Why do these rival schools go to the same place? How are these families controlled? What are the pecking order? How do they solve internal disputes? Why haven't one side just destroyed the other yet/moved away?

This episode answered a lot, where we up until now only have gotten insight into the order of things for the first years (of which Romeo and Juliet are their respective classes representative).

The Wang sisters are introduced as naive and not yet shaped individuals, who have yet to grow accustomed to "the order of things", all while being in "management". In a way their insecurities are also meant to introduce us into how "not everything is well under the shiny surface", where they clearly feel trapped in a gilded cage. It also foreshadows how our dear Romeo (sticking to those names now that we got 2 Inuzakas) might cause a revolution towards how things are done, which fits into the overall theme built upon the relationship between Romeo and Juliet. They both seem to be trapped by the current system in different ways and aspire to change the world, and now we might get a glimpse as for why and how they can do just that.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 am Reply with quote
^ Interesting insight there, Socrates. It's clear the story is slowly building up to the point in which Romio and Juliet would begin to change the current system that has a whole on everyone.

As for the episode itself I thought it was good. My most favorite part was when Romeo decided to treat the Wang sisters to some fun upon realizing how lonely/left out they felt. It was such a sweet moment that resonated with me. Anime smile

Quote:
The episode ends with the reveal that the head Prefect is Airu Inuzuka, which probably means that this is Romio's Big Bad Older Brother.

I was suspecting Airu was Romio older brother given that he looks a bit similar to him as well as possess super strength like his younger brother (does this ability run in the Inuzuka family or something?). I am looking forward to when we get to the part of the story in which Romio confronts his older brother like he does in the opening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4