• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Why is this in the encyclopedia?" aka Candidates for removal

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Now and then I have come across many items in the encyclopedia which as far as I can tell do not fall within the breadth of what it is intended to cover, according to what I've read from the administrators on this forum (it's not a database of anything Japanese; there are other ones which are far better suited to covering live-action media). All of the below fall far short of the suggested 8 points or more in this numerical test.

I have not seen a thread for this within the first several pages of the forum, and as there are several of them I do not want to make a thread for every single one, so I've decided on creating this one to which I can add items for admins to either delete or explain to me why they are included.

These are live-action adaptations of literature. That the source novel or series of short stories have also been adapted into animation or comics surely makes the live-action incarnations very distant relations for being in a database of anime?

Akihabara @ DEEP (live-action TV)
Akihabara @ DEEP (live-action movie)
Ankoku Joshi (live-action movie)
Ikebukuro West Gate Park (live-action TV)
Ikebukuro West Gate Park Soup no Kai (live-action special)
Kimi no Suizō o Tabetai (live-action movie)

These are principally live-action puppetry programmes, with at most scenery, effects and/or title sequences being animated and are not based on manga nor anime. Stop-motion puppet animation, such as the majority of Kihachirō Kawamoto's films, isn't covered by the encyclopedia (or so I was told when I tried submitting some of those Kawamoto films had them rejected) so what is live-action puppetry doing in it?

Akiba-chan (TV) (at the very least this should have the just "TV" replaced by "puppet TV")
Thunderbolt Fantasy (puppet TV)
Thunderbolt Fantasy: The Sword of Life and Death (puppet movie)
Thunderbolt Fantasy Sword Seekers 2 (puppet TV)

Last edited by Lapin noir on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lugamo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
If it got added to the Encyclopedia, it's because one Encyclopedia editor viewed it as an item of interest for anime fans.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2361292#2361292
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
So, in order words, is the rule that once something is in the encyclopedia, it's in – even if it is something added in the past that would not be added nowadays?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1