• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Goblin Slayer [2018-10-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Christopher's reviews last season but i can't help but feel a salty tone in his first review for goblin slayer. Come on, the show isn't that bad. In fact i would dare say it isn't bad at all, it has an absolutely solid soundtrack and remarkable visual direction. The direction of the first episode was the strongest i have seen it of all the premiers aside from zombie land. From my perspective the point of the anime showing us goblin slayer as misunderstood is not to add another layer of rule of cool to the mc, but to suggest that he is too obsessed about killing goblins to care and go prove them wrong or realize there are people that think highly of him, it isn't that the world looks down on him but it is alright cause he has a squad of of cute anime girls that understand him, the point is that he is so self absorbed in his grief and resentment he can't realize he already earned the upmost respect from the guild clerk, the camaderie of the priest nor that his childhood friends literally waits for him to get home anxiously and expectantly.

Also, i don't think the show is ambiguous regarding how much of a treat goblin are, we saw goblin slayer single handedly exterminate over 20 goblins on episode one, the people ridiculing him were the same rank as him, so they surely can handle goblins themselves, their point was that they acknowledge goblin slayer should be strong enough to tackle something bigger, since killing monsters is their business not a pleasure and goblins are not profitable then they logically assume he doesn't hunt something bigger because he is a coward, and we can't expect anything else from them because goblin slayer himself can't be bothered to go talk to them and let them get to know him better
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I really enjoyed Christopher's reviews last season

Could you mention any show he's reviewed before.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This brings me to my major takeaway from Goblin Slayer so far. So much of it revolves around playing up a misanthropic power fantasy. The hero is looked down upon by society at large, but he gets to be an unstoppable badass in his chosen role of goblin-slaying.

That's the thing, he's NOT an unstoppable badass, he's just very experienced at one thing (killing goblins) and extremely practical. In the first episode he doesn't just charge in like 99% of badass protagonists and slaughter everything one sidedly. He takes on the goblins one by one, he uses traps, disguises his scent, uses the priestess to create a distraction so he can take out the shaman then retreats and leads the rest into a trap.

I havn't read the manga or read the light novels, but I am overall intrigued by this series because this is the type of main character that I've been interested in seeing, a rational one who uses actual experience and imagination to get through their struggles rather than the common trope of "I will save everyone and beat unstoppable odds because of nakama power and will break my limits for the 50th time this series" or something along those lines. He knows his limits and knows his enemy and gets the job done in the best way he can, that's it. I really appreciate seeing a character like that and look forward to seeing what the rest of this series does.

I do feel episode 2 was too heavy on the exposition, you could already figure out what his backstory was after seeing the opening scene but so long as the series doesn't make a habit of flashbacks and stuff then it's ok I guess.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:

How not to summon a demon Lord, and hanebado
Lovenox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I do find it strange people complain about the graphic sexually charged scenes here, yet the same people probably have no problem with Game of Thrones or Berserk.

Seems like some of it is just grandstanding.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Strange, this show was rated much higher last time I saw it. Are the guys late to the party not into this at all?
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This brings me to my major takeaway from Goblin Slayer so far. So much of it revolves around playing up a misanthropic power fantasy. The hero is looked down upon by society at large, but he gets to be an unstoppable badass in his chosen role of goblin-slaying. The elaborate social revenge angle is hilariously palpable in one scene where he's being mocked by other adventurers, and you can practically hear the story bitterly seething over whatever graphic goblin-based fate should befall anyone who doesn't respect this underappreciated badass. At least he's understood by his cute companion Priestess who helps him slay goblins, his cute childhood friend who loves being protected by him, and the cute Adventurer's Guild clerk who doesn't judge him for taking goblin-slaying jobs. Goblin Slayer isn't subtle about pandering to the fantasies of its target audience.

As a reader of the material source i won't spoil because you are gonna discover it soon enough but you couldn't have been further from the truth. I hope that your thought are just temporary and not influenced by anything, however i can't help but feel that this review had a salty aftertaste.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
HAL14 wrote:
MiloTheFirst wrote:

How not to summon a demon Lord, and hanebado

Funny. I thought Theron got Isekai maou.

Thanks anyway
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Lovenox wrote:
I do find it strange people complain about the graphic sexually charged scenes here, yet the same people probably have no problem with Game of Thrones or Berserk.

Game of Thrones and Berserk have gotten tons of flack for sexual violence (especially the former). A lot of it comes down to context and implementation. Berserk did it to contextualize a horrendous, grim world and that's very ruthless, oppressive, and violent but also didn't dwell on it (save for the eclipse episode). There was enough for context and then it moved on and the further the series went along the less prevalence sexual violence had until it was basically nonexistent because there's a limit to it. After awhile sexual violence stops being shocking and just becomes tedious and boring. And that's the problem with Goblin Slayer; it's going to be difficult to top the violence now, so good luck not making it tedious.
Devil's food cake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy yet another season where fanboys attack a reviewer for not giving their favorite trashy light novel adaptation high marks. Rolling Eyes
Grimvice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

You missed the whole point of why Goblin Slayer is looked down upon. A major part of the series is commenting on the dangerous romanticism of adventuring and its slight social commentary. Lemme break it down.

1. Most adventurers don't go after goblins because it doesn't provide lots of money or fame and are substantially weaker than say dragons or bigger monsters, thus there creates a stigma that hunting goblins is for the new and inexperienced.

2. Because adventurers don't go after goblins, it creates the idea that goblin-slaying isn't glamorous and note-worthy, the adventurers look down on Goblin Slayer because he doesn't do and look like what all the adventurers with shiny equipment do (almost like how the trendy and stylish look down on working class people).

3. Adventuring is seen via a realistic lense. As seen in episode 1, goblins can easily take down the unprepared and inexperienced. However, as seen in episode 2, sometimes newbies can get lucky despite the odds. Goblin Slayer is experienced and is always prepared, but his attitude is that he could end up unlucky. Kinda like what the dice in the op elludes to, same way DnD plays out via chance.

4. Because goblins are so "weak", they always go for small, unprotected villages that the large cities and big-wig adventurers ignore because, hey, no money and no fame, right?

To say that there is nothing to Goblin Slayer, especially in the beginning episodes where the intros and foundation are laid, is utterly ridiculous.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Well I think we can all agree then it's a story light, switch brain in to neutral guilty pleasure then.

Not going to win awards for story excellence but good to wake up to on a Sunday morning and see GS kick some ass to destress after a hard week at work.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Come on, the show isn't that bad. In fact i would dare say it isn't bad at all, it has an absolutely solid soundtrack and remarkable visual direction.

Agreed. The direction is probably the series' biggest highlight for me. Aside from that horrendous transition to cowgirl mid episode two, scene transitions, voice-overs, character movement, volume, gestures, and music have all felt pretty solid to me. Not much of a story yet though.
Devil's food cake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I really enjoyed Christopher's reviews last season but i can't help but feel a salty tone in his first review for goblin slayer. Come on, the show isn't that bad. In fact i would dare say it isn't bad at all, it has an absolutely solid soundtrack and remarkable visual direction. The direction of the first episode was the strongest i have seen it of all the premiers aside from zombie land.

The visual direction in this is infact its weakest element and it doesn't help that GS himself is rendered in obvious CG in a few scenes. The soundtrack and direction is nothing special either and that was my biggest concern that Whit Fox wouldn't go all out on this like they did with Re:Zero because GS is more so like Akame Ga Kill than the former.

Quote:
From my perspective the point of the anime showing us goblin slayer as misunderstood is not to add another layer of rule of cool to the mc, but to suggest that he is too obsessed about killing goblins to care and go prove them wrong or realize there are people that think highly of him, it isn't that the world looks down on him but it is alright cause he has a squad of of cute anime girls that understand him, the point is that he is so self absorbed in his grief and resentment he can't realize he already earned the upmost respect from the guild clerk, the camaderie of the priest nor that his childhood friends literally waits for him to get home anxiously and expectantly.

As someone who's dabbed into the source of material...you are completely wrong. It is used for a rule of cool and while his mental health does get brought up it doesn't detract from the fact that everyone thinks he's a cool dude because he can kill Goblins the bestest Rolling Eyes
Anyone expecting some Berserk level nuisance in this you are going to be vastly disappointed it is really that shallow.
Devil's food cake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Lovenox wrote:

With Berserk and GoT the terrible things that happen is meant to complement the dark setting and don't feel exploitative whereas in Goblin Slayer is not only incredibly trite (oh look those bland naive adventures aren't following the basics of Goblin slaying so of course they got killed and raped but not our cool GS) but very exploitative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25