• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Goblin Slayer [2018-10-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Devil's food cake wrote:

As someone who's dabbed into the source of material...you are completely wrong. It is used for a rule of cool and while his mental health does get brought up it doesn't detract from the fact that everyone thinks he's a cool dude because he can kill Goblins the bestest Rolling Eyes
Anyone expecting some Berserk level nuisance in this you are going to be vastly disappointed it is really that shallow.

Yeah no. Perhaps you should dabble a little more because you are obviously only looking at the surface.

No one thinks GS is cool outside of his party, Guild Girl, and whoever he happens to help. Everyone pretty much seems him as a weakling or a garbage man fighting the lowest of the low monsters for no pay or benefit. spoiler[ It's not until he asks for help against the goblins attacking his home, that some of the other characters start respecting him, but GS also starting to realize the importance of being part of an actual party.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Goblin Slayer is one of the best light novels I have read and so far the anime adaptation looks good. I think the first episode was trying to make it clear that the goblins were dangerous and in the light novels they explain that spoiler[goblins are living weapons created by the Evil Gods to cause terror. That is why goblins don't have empathy, honor, or love and why they are sadistically cruel.] The second episode is a bit more balanced in tone such as when it showed the porcelain party that went off to fight goblins returning to the guild.

I'm sorry, I can't help myself, I have to point out that this is Literally The Exact Same Text as the example argument from this video. It finally happened! (confetti poppers go off as I slowly sink into the ocean)
Devil's food cake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Devil's food cake wrote:

As someone who's dabbed into the source of material...you are completely wrong. It is used for a rule of cool and while his mental health does get brought up it doesn't detract from the fact that everyone thinks he's a cool dude because he can kill Goblins the bestest Rolling Eyes
Anyone expecting some Berserk level nuisance in this you are going to be vastly disappointed it is really that shallow.

Yeah no. Perhaps you should dabble a little more because you are obviously only looking at the surface.

No one thinks GS is cool outside of his party, Guild Girl, and whoever he happens to help. Everyone pretty much seems him as a weakling or a garbage man fighting the lowest of the low monsters for no pay or benefit. spoiler[ It's not until he asks for help against the goblins attacking his home, that some of the other characters start respecting him, but GS also starting to realize the importance of being part of an actual party.]

One of the most powerful and respected beings in the series wants to literally jump is bones. Before accusing people of not reading the source of material why don't you read what you quote before you hit that sumbit button. Rolling Eyes
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
One of those series people are quick to judge the series as whole because of the early graphic/gory stuff. Can't say I'm surprise by the amount of people who get triggered and simply drop it early on. The series has more going on than initially thought.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally still on the fence with GS - was after Ep 1, and Ep 2 didn't really crystallize my opinion of it.

Our excessively terse protagonist is still super boring despite our now having a past to explain his obsession, and his apparent harem-building passive does reek of dull, commonplace power fantasies. But he also seems to have been framed as an utterly broken person, and it's not entirely clear to me if the show has come down decisively on whether it fully endorses his brand of grisly 'pragmatism,' or whether the show wants the viewer to think he's cool or sad or pragmatic or cruel. I will be pretty disappointed if the show forgets his ample emotional baggage or that we should be ambivalent when he slaughters children, and will probably check out if it actually reduces to a superficial power fantasy complete with harem.

Anyway, I'm still holding out hope that we will eventually get some genuinely interesting characters out of this, and a story worth investing in. I think the schizoid treatment of the goblin threat noted by Chris isn't so bad that it is unfixable; the show just really needs to make its characters and their motivations worth giving a shit about.

Mm, and it would be nice to be confronted with a more complex threat. Can still be goblin-based, but there needs to be more to it than scrub-stomping indistinguishable nests over and over.

JacobC wrote:
I'm sorry, I can't help myself, I have to point out that this is Literally The Exact Same Text as the example argument from this video. It finally happened! (confetti poppers go off as I slowly sink into the ocean)

Yeah, 'There's an in-world explanation so the thing-being-critiqued isn't a bad thing because there's an in-world explanation.' seems to be a common misunderstanding, and one that's often paraded out as an argument here. In-world explanation of character actions is necessary in a decent show, but it's not sufficient to justify artistic choices.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Devil's food cake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
One of those series people are quick to judge the series as whole because of the early graphic/gory stuff. Can't say I'm surprise by the amount of people who get triggered and simply drop it early on. The series has more going on than initially thought.

No it doesn't.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Devil's food cake wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

No it doesn't.

Yes it does. People have explained tirelessly the kinds of stuff that goes on in Goblin Slayer and its world. Don't just say it doesn't when you have no evidence to say otherwise.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they gave this show to the guy who gave the least about if craps about it, didn't they?

I dunno where you got the 'almost seething at what goblin-based indignities will befall them' or whatever part. That looked to me like simply looking down on him for doing a job that others regard as being for beginners, LITERALLY ranked the same as cleaning ditches, yet he's supposed to be one of the highest ranked adventurers you're likely to see in public.

They think that's all he can do, despite being so highly ranked and experienced.

There's a guy who literally talks about wanting to slay a dragon for experience points so he can rank/level up for crying out loud!

So they think he's weak, despite being so experienced. They don't acknowledge the skill needed or the knowledge gained from all the battle or years he's put into it.

They think it's all he CAN do when it's in reality all he WANTS to do. It's all he has interest in doing. He cares as little for anything else as the reviewer does about paying attention to what's actually in the show.

Before, all I knew was he was to Goblins what Doomguy is to demons, and I got this much out of these two episodes; that he's underappreciated by anybody he doesn't help, that everyone underestimates goblins because they only see the stupid, weak ones until they start a-raiding, and that adventurers are glory-hounds.

Also, nobody really cares if some little villages of like fifteen people get slaughtered, because that's just how it is in a world built on such a foundation of RPG tropes.
Devil's food cake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
Devil's food cake wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

No it doesn't.

Yes it does. People have explained tirelessly the kinds of stuff that goes on in Goblin Slayer and its world. Don't just say it doesn't when you have no evidence to say otherwise.

I have read GS and I can tell you you're full of it. No where in this thread have people gone over how much depth and layers the characters and setting were just that Chris is wrong for his assumptions. Just to test you how much character development has Dwarf received?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

Didn't even have to look at it to know which video it was. Honestly thinking the video creator was just straight up thinking about GS when they made it (or the user is just trolling and purposefully referencing the video)

LastPage 3 wrote:

Why not? This happens in reality all the time.

Garbage collection is an important job, but must people don't treat it that way. Same thing for teachers and nurses. Climate change is an important issue, and most people couldn't care less.

If anything, Goblin Slayer highlights the fact that people only care about stuff when it affects their lives right now, or when it's cool to care about it.

Exactly, garbage collection isn't problem because it gets done. As such people don't see it as important because if any individual person quit being a garbage man, someone else will do it. It doesn't affect people live so they don't really think about it. The goblin are raping and pillaging village, the task of taking care of them isn't being done. This is where the contradiction exist, it affect people (you know the whole rape and pillage) yet they act like it doesn't.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Devil's food cake wrote:
Grimvice wrote:
Devil's food cake wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

No it doesn't.

I have read GS and I can tell you you're full of it. No where in this thread have people gone over how much depth and layers the characters and setting were just that Chris is wrong for his assumptions. Just to test you how much character development has Dwarf received?

Dwarf hasn't received any character development yet in an ongoing series. By stuff going on, I'm referring to the subtle worldbuilding like no one protecting the villages or fighting goblins because there's nothing to gain and it isn't glamorous, or I'm referring to the level of detail to how Goblin Slayer moves and the methods he uses to be as efficient and risk-free as possible. Or maybe I'm talking about the level of quality in a fantasy story that's a step above lazy isekai and clumsily inserting videogame mechanics into a fantasy world.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Exactly, garbage collection isn't problem because it gets done. As such people don't see it as important because if any individual person quit being a garbage man, someone else will do it. It doesn't affect people live so they don't really think about it. The goblin are raping and pillaging village, the task of taking care of them isn't being done. This is where the contradiction exist, it affect people (you know the whole rape and pillage) yet they act like it doesn't.

I don't think it's hard to understand how goblin slaying could at once be pretty dangerous for the inexperienced and yet looked down on by most experienced adventurers, but:

A) I think it's harder to figure out if goblin slaying actually is typically very dangerous. That was the clear, pretty much sole message of the first episode, but then in the second episode we see a blatantly unprepared porcelain troupe wander out all happy-go-lucky and do just fine in their goblin-purging.

What is the viewer to make of that? "It's hard to predict what will happen and there's a lot of entropy in this universe"? It just seems inconsistent in a way that doesn't reinforce any of the show's portrayal of its one activity.

B) For experienced adventurers not to care about goblin slaying despite that it appears to cost the lives of many newbie adventurers annually suggests the experienced adventurers don't care at all about the lives of the newbie adventurers, presumably that the newbie adventurers rarely fraternize with or befriend the veterans, and so on. But while I can conjecture that this is how their society works, I don't feel like the show's made any attempt to establish this, and I think it's an important part of why the show's treatment of the 'goblin threat' feels inconsistent.

This same issue doesn't arise for climate change or garbage collection, because climate change feels distant and abstract to people (so consequences are not psychologically tied to climate change), and garbage collection is taken care of and so has no major consequences, as you noted. But neither of those things is true of goblin slaying. It has clear, immediate, & concrete consequences, as Ep 1 (and the backstory / corpses in Ep 2) established, and yet no one seems to care about it.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this business with calling each other trolls will stop. I have deleted a few posts which were doing nothing but that and will continue to clean out this thread if the people whose posts got deleted don't take the hint. Keep it civil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VxD94

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I would like to review this as an independent work rather than looking into its source material, because no adaptation is totally faithful to its origins. The first episode was messy because of the script, and felt like a totally flat introduction to the antagonistic force and the hero. The second one was a better episode, because we had some character background, but the world seems empty yet. The CGI was my biggest problem, and the animation in the ED looks choppy, but you can skip that.

I couldn't recommend the first episode because of its chaotic presentation, but the second one was more decent and organized in all aspects, but it isn't the greatest show of the season so far. So, I agree with Christopher in a lot of points of his review

Last edited by VxD94 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
shakir0247

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I keep seeing Berserk mentioned as a comparison. To me, the similarities between them seem little more than surface-level observations (the tone, framing and narrative purpose of the violence is very different in both shows), and I think that a much more apt point of comparison would be Akame ga Kill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 25