• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Shonen Jump Formula

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I still think Bleach: Memories of Nobody is a pretty good movie for itself (not the following sequels, which were all just formulaic repeats of the first movie). Sure, it follows the typical Shonen Jump movie formula of a side-story with no effect on the main series and a tragic heroine we never see anywhere else. But it's still well-done as a Bleach movie in which I don't think people give it enough credit, and when the anime series itself ran for way too long (due to fillers, cringe-inducing comedy moments, and general tedious padding) and I gave up on it, I would revisit this movie which was all it took to remind me of all the good things I originally liked about Bleach (the padding removal and cutting to the story's point was a great deal helpful).
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
I've always rather enjoyed the movies that were unconnected to their TV series and were basically condensed alternate versions of the entire TV show. The Escaflowne and Utena movies were fun ways to tell the same basic sort of story while keeping the audience guessing on how the new version would handle a plot point or whether it would invent its own. And then there's stuff like the Hana Yori Dango movie which does its own thing by relocating its entire story to a new country and changing practically everything.

For the more standard sort of Jump formula, I'll vote for the Sailor Moon SuperS movie and Urusei Yatsura's Remember My Love. I love the silly pied piper fairies, the giant ships of kidnapped children, the Bon Bon Babies, and the whole segment making all of the senshi turn into children in the SuperS movie so very much. As for Remember My Love, that one scene in the mirror house has stuck with me for years as being absolutely gorgeous.

Oh! I also really loved the Ah! My Goddess movie, but not sure if that counts since it was a sequel to an OVA and predated the TV series by several years. I seem to recall liking the Ghost Sweeper Mikami movie and Slayers had some fun movies, too.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
I've always rather enjoyed the movies that were unconnected to their TV series and were basically condensed alternate versions of the entire TV show. The Escaflowne and Utena movies were fun ways to tell the same basic sort of story while keeping the audience guessing on how the new version would handle a plot point or whether it would invent its own.

The Escaflowne movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. The beastmen are given a lot more screentime and we get to see their lifestyle and culture, though spoiler[Nukushi's death still hits me hard to this day; I really liked him]. With a bigger budget, the movie let us see how striking Nobuteru Yūki's beastman designs still are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2