• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
So far the pace is really good to me, neither too fast nor too slow, it took 5 ep ( considering the first episode was double duration ) to adapt 1 volume while the first 2 seasons had an average of 6 for 1 volume, first season adapted the first 4 volumes + a bit of the 8th, the second season adapted the 5th to 7th and the rest of the 8th. If i had to point out something it would be the fact that 2 scenes, one extremely important and the other one not as much but still important enought to be mendaroty to adapt, were cut in the anime.

For those who read the LN, the scenes i am thinking of are,spoiler[ the one when Kirito cuts the branch which served as base for his Black Sword, then the old woodcutter tells them to go see his friend , this scene was way too important not to adapt and the fight between Eugeo and Zink, his bully "childhood friend", who was jealous of Eugeo being send as representative for the next tournament ( which wasn't mentionned either ).]

Considering that episode 4 ended where volume 9 did, they really skipped these scenes, if there aren't any flashback or anything else to mention them, those who don't read the source materiel will have trouble to understand some futur scenes spoiler[( for exemple the fact that Kirito already have the branch on his back when they left the town at the end ).]
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Poor goblin leader. This brings the number of people Kirito's killed up to five, right? Hard to know what else he could have done, though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
I think from here on out I'll just drop by to rate the episodes and skip the "reviews," since what they really are is a weekly rundown of "how the anime compares to the novels." If that's what everyone wants, that's fine, it's just not what I read these for, so rather than grumbling every week, I'll just show myself out. Smile
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote
Actually kinda glad that I avoided reading the novels at this point. The way they're organizing the story is pretty ingenious for someone coming into this blind. Hope they're able to keep it up.
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think from here on out I'll just drop by to rate the episodes and skip the "reviews," since what they really are is a weekly rundown of "how the anime compares to the novels." If that's what everyone wants, that's fine, it's just not what I read these for, so rather than grumbling every week, I'll just show myself out. Smile

Haha, same. I'm more interested in the comment section as people tend to be more funny in the collective rather than a stand alone blog.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I know the review already said it but this is hands down the best episode yet. Asuna taking off her disguise was both kind of cool and pretty stupid. I mean there are still guards there, lady.

I wish they (by which I guess I mean Kawahara) would stop flashing back to Kayaba and trying to make him sympathetic. He killed thousands, he's a bad person, the end.

edit: while like Theron, I appreciate the new outfit designs, I'd be very happy to never see ALO again. I hate everyone's outfit there except for Sugu and maybe Lisbeth.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
edit: while like Theron, I appreciate the new outfit designs, I'd be very happy to never see ALO again. I hate everyone's outfit there except for Sugu and maybe Lisbeth.

I absolutely agree with you. ALO had extremely weak character designs, and trying to differentiate who is who is severely disorienting.

I'd prefer to see them all congregating and plotting in Agil's bar from here on out tbqh
TUSF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
(by which I guess I mean Kawahara)
The flashback was anime-original, so...

That said, I still think it's fine, seeing as even crazy mass-murders have people who care about them, even if they disapprove.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
The flashback was anime-original, so...

Huh, learn something every day I suppose...
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why making a human-like AI that can handle situations it wasn't programmed for is such a big deal all of a sudden. Isn't that what Yui is, even though she wasn't created via the bottom-up method? She was even hacking surveillance cameras in the real world just one episode ago.
青白

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I don't get why making a human-like AI that can handle situations it wasn't programmed for is such a big deal all of a sudden. Isn't that what Yui is, even though she wasn't created via the bottom-up method? She was even hacking surveillance cameras in the real world just one episode ago.

She can potentially be one big plot-hole in that regard. But Yui is something Kayaba created so the story might be framing her as an entity that nobody can ever replicate.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6's stuff on developing fluctlights for ulterior purposes reminded me of HBO's Westworld in a way, where the robots/AIs were being made as playthings/potential robo-immortality project for self-absorbed rich people. (Plus the breakdown of Higa's AI-copy strongly mirrored the breakdown of businessman-turned-robo-copy James Delos; although Delos' breakdown was far more suffering.)

That said, Rath and Kikuoka's operations look more like the lesser of 2 evils (on the surface) compared to Delos Inc. - Delos were largely ruthless profit-driven a-holes who all but stole the original creator's tech for their own agendas.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

She can potentially be one big plot-hole in that regard. But Yui is something Kayaba created so the story might be framing her as an entity that nobody can ever replicate.

Also if you think about it, Yui may have evolved into a bottom-up A.I. at this point. It's her attachment to Kirito and Asuna which has pushed her to engage in the sort of lateral thinking and problem-solving that's needed to help out her "parents." Her personality and capabilities have grown organically over the course of her relationship with them.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

This is something that is brought up in the novel that gets washed out in condensing the technical details. I consider it a minor detail, but I'll still put it in spoiler tags: spoiler[Asuna mentions in the conversation that either she or Kirito or both (forget which) have noticed that every once in a while Yui is stymied by something she's not equipped for. I don't recall it ever actually being seen or explicitly described, but it has apparently happened. The other interesting related point is that Yui has apparently mentioned being fearful of a copy of her existing, as she thinks she'd have to fight that copy to retain her identity if they ever met - a declaration that Kikuoka and Higa find fascinating.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
Higa's fluctlight copy was straight up a Black Mirror episode just hyper-condensed.

Also does anyone find it weird that Kikuoka/the whole JSDF just let Asuna get online and leak incredibly sensitive information about their incredibly ethically questionable operation? I mean I don't wanna armchair quarterback a shady government organization but I feel like you'd really want to limit people's communication off-base, especially the teenager who snuck in and has zero loyalty to you.

And ugh, I don't care if it was in the original LNs, but someone really should've fixed that A.L.I.C.E acronym to not sound quite as stupid and Engrish-y.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13