• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Release the Spyce

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:38 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is cute so far. But no, child, "spy" is not derived from "spice." Laughing I wonder how many Japanese viewers will come away thinking that's true.

Spy is derived from Spyce though... it's a narrative Catch-22.

No, Spyce is derived from Spy. So it still doesn't track. Smile And they didn't present that info in a meta way to the viewers but as a fact to Momo.

While I do want to know who the mole is, that's about my only interest in this at this point. It's lacking...spice (sorry). And I'm not sure I can take Momo's cringey try-hard genkiness long enough to find out. I think I'm just going to read the reviews until they spill it.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Am I wrong or was the crazy villain guy at the end wearing, essentially, a shibari vest?

Very fun episode and I do like the dynamic between the girls and I don’t think it could be any more explicit about their relationship unless they got married... but I did feel like there was so much stuff in the background that would have been nice to see, like the operation leading to Mei getting shot.

And the villain seemed interesting enough for a couple episodes at least.

I got a good laugh out of the ears on Fu’s costume when she went undercover, and the translation of the theme song made me laugh out loud, somewhat unintentionally. This series is one of the lesser ones I’m watching this season, but it definitely has its strengths.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
One wonders if Namori is a lot more involved in the writing in this series than just her providing the characters designs. Fu's and Mei's relationship with each other is pretty dang explicit!
Jake Jung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
After licensor approval, episode 4 now has translated lyrics for the insert/ED song up on HIDIVE.

Furthermore, episode 3 now has English translations for the normal OP and ED lyrics. (Ep 1 doesn’t feature the ED song and ep 2 has romaji.)
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
One wonders if Namori is a lot more involved in the writing in this series than just her providing the characters designs. Fu's and Mei's relationship with each other is pretty dang explicit!

I can’t say anything, because I haven’t seen the episode yet, but the fact that Takahiro (yuri for this guy like a drug or fuel) is responsible for the original idea speaks volumes. So, having a duet of Takahiro-Namori, I am even surprised that we do not have a full-fledged yuri already in the first 1-2 episodes.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I liked the episode, but I admit it had some weaknesses. Dolte was taken out way too easily. They even seemed to hype her up a bit, but not much came of it other than the shock that Moryo would do that to their people. Momo seemed to struggle, but once Yuki jumped into the picture it was all too easy.

I think the show is prioritizing being cute and heartwarming over being too serious, at least at this stage. However, I think part of the issue this week was that the need for rest and Dolte storyline didn't exactly match up. Felt like they both should've had different A/B plots to go with them.

I like the Tsukikage picking up the assassins that Moryo throws away and trying to help rehab them, that's another cute little touch.

Quote:
The post-credits stinger names Hatsume as the mole selling Tsukikage out to Moryo, and putting aside whether or not this is a red herring, the biggest point of concern is that I had to double-check the show's wiki to remind myself who Hatsume was, because she's had so little to do outside of whipping up gizmos for the other girls to use.

I thought the post-credits scene said the traitor named her as a particular person of interest? Maybe I misunderstood the scene, but it didn't read like the traitor outed themselves. I still think Katrina is also the woman whose face they won't show, so she may double as the traitor too. Her being Hatsume's old mentor makes her getting singled out make some more sense too.

Last edited by Toonces on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I didn't buy Hatsume as the mole and I still don't. While we don't know much about her like we do like Momo, Mei, Fu and Goemon, or at least why they're spies and how they feel about teamwork, Hatsume reminded me of Q and the worst the gadgeteer gets is usually morally neutral as they mostly just want people to put the stuff they make to good use.

Along these lines, we're supposed to watch episode 6 while thinking of Hatsume as the mole while I've been watching the entire series thinking Yuki's the mole... if the bird has a "villain's scar" then Yuki's same scar is "heroic"?... and it's hard not to notice that it was Yuki's decision to go after Kyuten science... because...I had to replay that part because it was so immediately glossed over... "It's like they were saying please look into us" while Hatsume's briefing was "there's still no connection. We're wasting our time here".

A mole that uses reverse psychology? That is some next level spy work. Shouldn't someone, maybe some sort of spy, say "If Moryo is controlling Kyuten Science then wouldn't that message actually read 'please look over there?'" It doesn't help that 3 of the six are rookie spies and Mei usually just defers to Yuki out of habit. We'll just have to wait and see what Hatsume does or does not do next episode.

As to the rest of the episode, I loved that sucker punch that Dolte dished out to Momo at the end of the episode.... and the sudden surprise reveal of a former agent returning it with interest.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Fluffy yuri bait episode -A-

Plot and action epidode -C-

Are you serious, lol?
Jake Jung

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Dolte was dispatched with too easily and the plot with Moryo is dragging a bit. I hope we get another more character-driven episode next week.

Quote:
The post-credits stinger names Hatsume as the mole selling Tsukikage out to Moryo

As a clarification, the actual line is: "The identity of the Tsukikage member the traitor passed onto us is... Hatsume Aoba."

In other words, the mole has named Hatsume as a Tsukikage member, but the mole did not state their own identity. That said, Hatsume could be outing her own identity.
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I think people forgot that they techno-splained how these girls are all under cover and they're blurred on security cameras and such. Being named means they can go after you at school or attack your friends and family. Hatsume wasn't depiceted as a mole, but her identity was leaked so now she's at much more risk.
LegendAqua

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 5

I didn't buy Hatsume as the mole and I still don't. While we don't know much about her like we do like Momo, Mei, Fu and Goemon, or at least why they're spies and how they feel about teamwork, Hatsume reminded me of Q and the worst the gadgeteer gets is usually morally neutral as they mostly just want people to put the stuff they make to good use.

Along these lines, we're supposed to watch episode 6 while thinking of Hatsume as the mole while I've been watching the entire series thinking Yuki's the mole... if the bird has a "villain's scar" then Yuki's same scar is "heroic"?... and it's hard not to notice that it was Yuki's decision to go after Kyuten science... because...I had to replay that part because it was so immediately glossed over... "It's like they were saying please look into us" while Hatsume's briefing was "there's still no connection. We're wasting our time here".

I think the same too that Hatsume isn't the mole.

I was also thinking in the same lines about Yuki having the same scar as Moryo's bird but since she doesn't know the leak is coming from I don't think it's Yuki either UNLESS the boss of Moryo made her lose her memories like Byakko did.

MY preferred suspect of who the traitor is is...Momo. No seriously.

*Her oddly specific ability of having keen taste and smell aligning with spices that allows people to gain superhuman-ish abilities?
*Her constant mistakes even after being inducted into the Tsukikage allowing the Boss and her minions to escape (well the Boss mostly) and even her mistakes maybe leading up to the leaks themselves.
*Considering how much power the Boss has to the city in the dark underbelly, She could have enough power and money to be able to make a fake family and friends to act like their roles to Momo while she is none the wiser (remember what happened to Byakko and losing her memories).
*And if Goe-mon and maybe Katrina will get her focused episode in a couple of weeks or so thus showing us the majority of the cast isn't the traitor...the stronger this theory for me will become leading up to either Yuki or Momo being the traitor.

But that's just my theory the show may curveball me so who knows, I have my suspicions even after all this due to the MANY red herrings within the show so I'll reserve my theory until the traitor is outed.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"A dud, the first episode in the show's run that feels like empty clichés and aimless padding."

This is precisely what I felt...about episode 4, which everyone loved for a reason I can't understand. Though I do agree with some of the criticisms brought forth in the review (like Hatsume's personality), I thought this episode was pretty strong overall. If nothing else, it wove a character's backstory into the show's main plot, something episode 4 failed to do.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
At the start of episode 6, I had to go back to the ending of the previous episode... it was a reveal by the spy of an agent with a "secret identity". They're not wearing masks though and I'm pretty sure Moryo has security footage of their faces. I actually was thinking "Is this a cultural thing like in classic Japanese theater where you're no supposed to notice the stage hands dressed in black... just when all the highly visible ninjas dressed in black where in the opening credits. But the stage hands were full black masks...

Ok then?... but the main point is the girls are still not wearing masks. Do they all look alike or is someone with a prominent scar, like a missing eye, more common than I would think? Or maybe they're just not looking for her...

LegendAqua wrote:

I was also thinking in the same lines about Yuki having the same scar as Moryo's bird but since she doesn't know the leak is coming from I don't think it's Yuki either UNLESS the boss of Moryo made her lose her memories like Byakko did.

Actually, that's much better than what I was thinking after episode 6 which was more along the lines of "split personality". Unfortunately, it's also the plot of Total Recall. If it was a memory wipe though, getting new information would be tricky. We were shown one of Yuki's skills is acting and voice control though so it's not impossible for there to be a hidden spy inside a spy... Look, it's weird that while we learn about most of the girls and why they fight, most of what we know about Yuki is what she can do with a mysterious past of "things happened that literally scarred her".

For me, all signs still point to Yuki especially since she's a super spy when it serves the plot but super naive when it serves the subterfuge. She didn't think Kyuten Science was a distraction while she does suspect Theresia of being a mole?

Episode 6. I liked it. I thought the foreign kidnapping plot had Taken the right path in particular with how Hatsume's parents only paid for her Ransom but had to go back because Hatsume insisted that they ... Do the Right Thing? I suppose it was her True Lies that started the while thing though.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Quote:
"A dud, the first episode in the show's run that feels like empty clichés and aimless padding."

This is precisely what I felt...about episode 4, which everyone loved for a reason I can't understand. Though I do agree with some of the criticisms brought forth in the review (like Hatsume's personality), I thought this episode was pretty strong overall. If nothing else, it wove a character's backstory into the show's main plot, something episode 4 failed to do.

The other thing to remember is that it's clear that this story ISN'T OVER! It's not like this episode was a self contained story or something. It is at best half done. The cliffhanger ending should have made that clear as day.

My personal bet is (in spoilers)

spoiler[The "Traitor" is actually Hatsume, who had searched for what happened to her friend once she was part of Tsukikage and found out that she was purchased by Moryo and was still in their employ. So she started giving them useless tips that wouldn't endanger her fellow spies, leading up to the point where she was fairly certain that Theresia would be there to see the information when the leaked information about herself was exposed, leading her to either make contact or be sent as an agent to try to expose her. So I expect she is entirely aware of the fact that Theresia is a Moryo agent and is trying to get her to turn so they can get inside information on the enemy, as well as saving an old friend.]
tsukumiyomi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
So now "daisuki" means "adore" instead of "love" dumb subbers, dumb HIDIVE, can someone better pick up this show? Or at least fix the subs for this episode, this show doesn't deserve this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6