• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Release the Spyce

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
As graphic and grim as that death was, my money is on Hatsume reappearing at some point to bandage Theresia. She hardly lost enough blood on screen for that to be fatal (although that is a brutal artery slash that it would be pretty damn difficult to come back from IRL).

This was one of the more engaging episodes, I hope they get their animation back to snuff for the finale.
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
For as light as this show is, I was flabbergasted when Tendo slit Theresia's wrist. That was super dark and graphic. I mean, I expect her to be fine, but wow. I expect Hatsume will probably have that last minute save, but my jaw dropped.

Regarding Mei, I found it interesting that after she touched Goe's restraints, a screw was missing. I also thought it was suspicious how pushy (albeit playfully) she was in asking Tendo how she'd release the mind control spray. I now fully believe she is a triple agent.

TG72 wrote:
I'm predicting for the finale:

1. Dolte shows up---with the Viking ship---to help somehow. With this show's tongue-in-cheek style, how can they pass up a chance like that? After all, everyone's about to be spoiler[brainwashed by a giant flower]

2. Katrina shielded Byakko, who will also show up to help and become Momo's apprentice

Definitely agree that Katrina and Byakko show up fine and help. Not sure about 1, although the Viking girl showing up would make sense (they did try to reach out to other agencies, and she's an established character). As for Dolte, I expect her to get helped and maybe even show up in the final battle... She's probably still on the bad guy's side for now, but that could change mid-battle. Would be the only loose end if they don't touch on her.

Aquasakura wrote:
Toonces wrote:

I'd be interested to rewatch and see if there was some more foreshadowing for this. This episode itself hinted pretty hard at it, but outside of this one I'm not sure I would've guessed Mei. Once the dubcast has finished I might start binging to see.

Same here! As for the hints I did not see any at all concerning Mei being the possible traitor so it looks like I miss it. When this show does get fully dubbed I am going to re-watch it as well l; except for my case I am going to wait to see if this show gets a home release.

Toonces wrote:

I sort of feel like Mei is pulling off a double feint/triple cross.

That could be a possibility though if it does turn out that way I do not know how well the others would take it

Sentai always releases home video releases, only question is whether they dub (obviously they have in this case) or if we get a limited edition. I'm happy we at least got a dub for this. Smile

Regarding Mei's turn, there will probably be some awkwardness, but I feel like Yuki might know and this was planned? I guess she might still earn that mind wipe at the end, thoguh.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
Regarding Mei, I found it interesting that after she touched Goe's restraints, a screw was missing. I also thought it was suspicious how pushy (albeit playfully) she was in asking Tendo how she'd release the mind control spray. I now fully believe she is a triple agent.
Yeah, as much as I don't want the show to cheapen the shock of Mei's betrayal by not letting her "stay evil" until the end, the evidence towards her not actually being a traitor seems too strong.

Toonces wrote:
Regarding Mei's turn, there will probably be some awkwardness, but I feel like Yuki might know and this was planned?
The theory I've seen discussed elsewhere is that spoiler[Mei's full plan was conceived during the Okinawa excursion and the only ones who were in on it are those who stayed behind at the time, namely Hatsume, Katrina and Byakko, who are all supposed to be alive and in hiding now. Under this theory Yuki doesn't know any better than the junior girls, but Hatsume had at least helped her survive the encounter with Tendou by providing her with the fake blood device (which still would have been a huge gamble, but I digress).]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:

Wow, I didn't notice that detail amidst all the QUALITY.
I just remembered that in this very episode Yuki reminded Momo that "spies are liars" in a kind of unneeded way. But when you remember Momo's lessons, stuff like befriending anyone in under three minutes, adapting to any cimcurstance and other such stuff, it seems to fit quite nicely with everything that Mei is doing.
I was willing to give Takahiro the benefit of the doubt not turning a good character into a clown just for a moment's shock, and this episode the evidence has been pilling up (opposite to the reviewer's opinion lol)
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Toonces wrote:
Yeah, as much as I don't want the show to cheapen the shock of Mei's betrayal by not letting her "stay evil" until the end, the evidence towards her not actually being a traitor seems too strong.

Toonces wrote:
Regarding Mei's turn, there will probably be some awkwardness, but I feel like Yuki might know and this was planned?
The theory I've seen discussed elsewhere is that spoiler[Mei's full plan was conceived during the Okinawa excursion and the only ones who were in on it are those who stayed behind at the time, namely Hatsume, Katrina and Byakko, who are all supposed to be alive and in hiding now. Under this theory Yuki doesn't know any better than the junior girls, but Hatsume had at least helped her survive the encounter with Tendou by providing her with the fake blood device (which still would have been a huge gamble, but I digress).]

Honestly, if this was almost any other show, I'd agree that I want her to stay evil, but Spyce almost revels in the fact that it's a cute show where all these girls are finding love with each other and making friends. It's the same reason why I expect everyone to be fine in the end- this isn't exactly a dark and gritty spy show.

That theory sounds pretty good, I could see it happening. Regarding Yuki, see the post I quoted below. She may not have initially known, but some things about this episode made me think she knew or was looped in later.

Yuvelir wrote:
Wow, I didn't notice that detail amidst all the QUALITY.
I just remembered that in this very episode Yuki reminded Momo that "spies are liars" in a kind of unneeded way. But when you remember Momo's lessons, stuff like befriending anyone in under three minutes, adapting to any cimcurstance and other such stuff, it seems to fit quite nicely with everything that Mei is doing.
I was willing to give Takahiro the benefit of the doubt not turning a good character into a clown just for a moment's shock, and this episode the evidence has been pilling up (opposite to the reviewer's opinion lol)

Yeah, I would've expected more fierceness and more warnings about Mei from Yuki if it wasn't planned.

Mei's actions almost spit in the face of what happened in episode 4, so either she was lying now or then, and her actions sort of lead credence to her lying now and being a spy.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The animal mascots survived the base's explosion (thought I'd honestly forgotten they existed)

I forgotten about them as well, and when I realize it I felt bad. Sad

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

pharmboy23 wrote:
As graphic and grim as that death was, my money is on Hatsume reappearing at some point to bandage Theresia. She hardly lost enough blood on screen for that to be fatal (although that is a brutal artery slash that it would be pretty damn difficult to come back from IRL).

Toonces wrote:
I expect Hatsume will probably have that last minute save.

A part of me is thinking this would happen as well, and I hope this happens as I felt sad Teresa being killed off right when she started to contemplating changing a new leaf (plus she is quite attractive).

Toonces wrote:

Sentai always releases home video releases, only question is whether they dub (obviously they have in this case) or if we get a limited edition. I'm happy we at least got a dub for this. Smile

Regarding Mei's turn, there will probably be some awkwardness, but I feel like Yuki might know and this was planned? I guess she might still earn that mind wipe at the end, thoguh.

That's good to hear. It seems that companies devoted to licensing anime always release what they got on home video at some point. Also, I am not so sure if Yuki is really in on Mei agenda like you and others seem to be guessing but otherwise you are right in that it would be an awkward moment for the Fu and the others.[/quote]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The one thing I would say I like the most of this episode is Momo fully coming to her own. She manage to take charge of the situation the moment she saw an opportunity and follow what Yuki taught her. She is really at a point now in which she no longer needs Yuki as a mentor, which I understand it's sad for Momo but I do not think it means the two need to be apart. After all she could be come a liason (if I am spelling that correctly) of the Tsukikage so she could always spend time with her while maintaining the memories they share. However whether and how this would play out would depend on how things end in the final episode in two days. Things could turn out really differently after all.

Another thing since no one brought it up (at least I do not think), the silhouette of a character that appear every time in the opening theme was revealed. I was surprise when I saw this as I did not think much of the silhouette.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Florete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote
Fell back due to Smash, just caught up.

Episode 10: On one hand, I didn't know who the traitor could be. But in a way, that's actually why I wasn't at all surprised. No one seemed likely to be the traitor, so it had to just be someone. I didn't even believe it was Katrina because the show never really implied her to be the traitor. And right when that scene began I knew the traitor was about to reveal herself. It was...unsatisfying. I never really cared for Mei in the first place (and that "most emotional episode" was the worst episode of the series imo) so seeing her turn just got a "oh, okay" kind of reaction from me.

Episode 11: One loose screw and she was able to remove all her restraints in seconds? Uh...okay. Otherwise, the episode was...fine, I guess.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Episode 11: One loose screw and she was able to remove all her restraints in seconds? Uh...okay. Otherwise, the episode was...fine, I guess.

If you recall from a previous episode, Go's grip strength (and strength as a whole) is monstruous. Getting that first hand free was the hard part.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:01 am Reply with quote
Io and behold, Mei was a double agent all along.
The timing of the revelation felt a bit "off". I think it has to be about the whole scene being like a big celebration for Tsukikage's (not actual) success but the direction of the scene not being quite there; afterall the ones who "destroyed" the plant, off-screen no less, were the thought to be defunct Katrina and Byakko rather than the three ones that planned the strike, pent up the tension and went to work. From there, the cheer and celebrations just couldn't get much of a hold.

Yukki also had me puzzled this episode. It surprised that she wasn't in on the plan despite her earlier reactions (or lack thereof), and we still don't know why she keeps her eye closed!
It was also heartbreaking that the epilogue telegraphed that Momo and her are out of contact (even if she does indeed remember afterall), I was hoping that Momo would still initiate a new not-clingy relationship since part of her training was befriending people easily, and some of the people she befriended that way have been showing up recurrently.

I liked how they also reinforced their message on Fuu and Mei's episode with that homely scene, with a "of course we remembered all along" wink. And careful with that java sparrow, never trust a bird with a scar.

As for Tendou, that was a Gauron School "not dead until you have dissected my body" death scene.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Yukki also had me puzzled this episode. It surprised that she wasn't in on the plan despite her earlier reactions (or lack thereof), and we still don't know why she keeps her eye closed!
It was also heartbreaking that the epilogue telegraphed that Momo and her are out of contact (even if she does indeed remember afterall), I was hoping that Momo would still initiate a new not-clingy relationship since part of her training was befriending people easily, and some of the people she befriended that way have been showing up recurrently.

Concerning Yuki not being in on the large scale plan the last episode explains why as Mei felt Yuki was not in the right frame of mind for this undertaking.Given the conversation and what led to it this looks to take place after the mission in which Yuki lost her mentor.

As for the heartbreaking epilogue I had a similar thought. Well it was more of a guess in my case as I was thinking Yuki was going to be one of the supporters of Tsukikage. However it did not work out that way and it was a sad moment for me as the thought of Yuki loosing her memory of the time in the Tsukikage means her relationship with Momom would be no more. Still I think part of her decision to have her memory wipe was for the sake of Momo as she needed to be fully independent (especially being that Yuki admitted she was being over protective of her). As for her still remembering Momo when I think back to that scene in which she gave a smirk as she passed by Momo, I wonder how much she does remember. Also Yuki did mention the store owner use to be a member of Tsukikage as well as and she did seem to have that look like she kind of knows what goes on behind the scenes. I wonder if for those two it's like a inkling or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The reason of why Yuki chose to erase her memories was stated quite transparently - were it not for Momo, she would have surely stayed as a collaborator.
What felt a bit sad is that Momo didn't start contact again. Such a scene alone, now that their mentor-apprentice relationship is removed, would have showed a nice change in their power dynamic.
Toonces

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the ending was about what I expected. This was mostly just a cozy and cute show, so it wasn't surprising that everyone got their happy ending.

The fights were all pretty good (particularly the Tendou fight), and the general direction for the ending was fun. The Mei thing was explained fairly well too. It wasn't a total back track, instead they made it sort of fun (although they never fully explained why Tendou would put someone she seemingly barely trusted in charge of the rich co-conspirators, but whatever).

For the most part, the finale embraced the best of both worlds for SPYCE. Fun combat, and some emotional cute moments.

The Yuki memory erasure was a bit silly to me. The smile at the end felt like an admission that she didn't get her memory wiped, but unless there's a second season in the works, I'm not sure why they'd go that route? I actually don't think all of that was necessary, especially if they weren't going to work anangle of Momo starting their relationship fresh.

Yuvelir wrote:
As for Tendou, that was a Gauron School "not dead until you have dissected my body" death scene.

For sure, Tendou is almost certainly not dead. If this gets a sequel or spin-off, you can almost certainly bet she'll be back.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:03 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
(although they never fully explained why Tendou would put someone she seemingly barely trusted in charge of the rich co-conspirators, but whatever).

Probably because it didn't matter: if the plan succeeded, Mei would have nowhere to go.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Release the Spyce finale: It was ok? The soundtrack was still great and the characters were fine but what I said about episode 10 petty much happened... only it was far more anticlimactic than I could have imagined possible. Once all the reveals were shown, there was only one way the story would go and that was it.

Ultimately, it was too nice for its own good.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Ultimately, it was too nice for its own good.

Ha! Perfect description of the series. It wants badass spy action and also the hug and love moments of a show about a club. It’s like pouring maple syrup on a shuriken. Both fun apart, not so useful together.

The ending totally goes where you think and for all their cunning, despite the long con, the bad guys go a little DUHHHHH trusting Mai that much. I am still not convinced that the whole thing wasn’t an excuse for the bunny outfit Razz.

The best part of the ending for me were the scenes of Momo and her wimpy new apprentice. It WAS nice watching her pass along the confidence she’d gained.

I’d watch another season, but I’m not clamouring for it or anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6